PDA

View Full Version : nicotine and leptin levils

Mr.Buttcheeks
03-03-2002, 01:40 PM
i was thinkin about maybe takin a nicotine gum to keep my leptin up and not feel so hungry sometimes, i remember a while back when i used to smoke this and that cigarettes killed my hunger.

so this may sound like a stupid question but is nicotine bad for you i know the smoke is but is nicotine bad?

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-03-2002, 01:54 PM
No point.

Lyle has conceded that leptin can only be elevated to 'ideal' levels from injections. (btw 'ideal' is my choice of words).

Mr.Buttcheeks
03-03-2002, 02:19 PM
and elevated from carbohydrates right?????

par dues said that zinc and vitamin e help out with leptin levels??????

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-03-2002, 02:24 PM
Maybe, but Lyle has stated that manipulation of leptin to levels he desired is not currently possible without injections.

Marcel
03-03-2002, 05:28 PM
Chigs - what do you mean? So re-feeds aren't good for keeping leptin levels up? I'm confused.

Par Deus
03-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Lyle's comments, I believe, are in regards to nutrient repartitioning rather than maintaining fat loss.

His original theory was that you could alternate periods of overfeeding and dieting, and ultimately end up with leptin levels above where you started, with no fat gain. The higher leptin levels would result in the increases in anabolic hormones seen with overfeeding, as well has a tendency toward fat oxidation rather than fat storage -- in other words, nutrient repartitioning.

He originally had very high hopes in this regard -- "manipulate leptin at our whim" is, I believe, how he worded it.

Perhaps it truly has fallen a bit short, compared to expectations, but I have definitely noted repartitioning in my experiments. In addition, he has always advocated more moderate refeeds, which I think might be part of the problem.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-04-2002, 06:26 AM
Have you ever considered that any anabolism from the refeeds may simply be due to the excess calories?

Par Deus
03-04-2002, 10:22 AM
Aside from insulin, all of the anabolism is mediated by leptin. Insulin does not repartition -- it is anabolic in both muscle and fat cells. As I stated in my post, I have observed repartitioning.

In other words, yes, I have considered it, and I do not think that is all that is happening.