PDA

View Full Version : I just joined the football Team!

ThomasG
07-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Its my senior year and i wanted to do something different...

I have never played organized football. I have never worn football pads stuff like that.

But hey im strong and fast so i said what the hell why not ill regret it if i dont.

Ive always loved football and wooped ass in backyard football haha

Im kind pondering on what positions i should try for, I weigh 175 and im 5'10 i got a good lower and upper body, Any reccomendation for defense and offense?

Anyone else ever joined the football team their senior year?

schmitty199
07-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Its my senior year and i wanted to do something different...

I have never played organized football. I have never worn football pads stuff like that.

But hey im strong and fast so i said what the hell why not ill regret it if i dont.

Ive always loved football and wooped ass in backyard football haha

Im kind pondering on what positions i should try for, I weigh 175 and im 5'10 i got a good lower and upper body, Any reccomendation for defense and offense?

Anyone else ever joined the football team their senior year?

Well it partially depends on how big your school is and how good the team is. If you go to a big school or a top program you may be better suited for DB or WR depending on your build(cant always tell from a height and weight) but if neither apply you'd probably be put at linebacker, TE, or in the backfield. All depends on alot of factors.

But good luck man and I think you'll be glad you atleast gave it a go.

dblockspky
07-23-2007, 11:01 PM
There's a lot of factors. To be blunt about it.. at this point it's not really where you want to play it's going to be where the coaches put you. If you want to get any PT after never playing football before and being in your last year of high school you should take anything you can get because most likely if it's a decent football program then giving you a starting spot most likely isn't something that's gonna come easy... or at all for that matter. Try your hardest and be open minded.

backseatwitme13
07-24-2007, 01:45 AM
if your fast like you say you are try tright end, outside backer or safety

teenathlete3030
07-24-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm starting football this year too. I'm only going to be a junior though. At my size 6'0" 170 (rough weight) I'm most likely going to play WR and DB. I also find that hitting people is quite fun, and I'm not to bad at it, but I doubt I'll play LB. To me, laying out a receiver is more fun than form tackling a RB anyday.

ThomasG
07-26-2007, 09:13 AM
i used to live in the city and the football team was huge it was all politics now i live in a small place just a 3A high school opposed to the 5A i went to in the city

I went to my first practice today and i actually was on of the bigger guys which suprised me cause at my 5A school i would have been probly been on of the smaller or average guys.

I bench 255 squat around 350 im finding out for sure tomorrow and im maxin dead lift tomorrow ill let you guys know

im going to talk positions with my coach tomorrow

Detard
07-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm gonna play football this year aswell if my shoulder gets better. Ive played hockey my whole life and tend to be more of a goon on the ice than a goal scorer. Hopefully this has some carryover to hitting guys on the field. Ive talked to coaches last year when they asked me to play and apparently i'd be good at safety

TheVrolok
07-26-2007, 06:45 PM
To give you a reference, I played TE/DE at my Quad A (PA only has Single - Quad A schools) high school. We were a top program, ended up winning the state championship due to a strong running game/offensive line. I was about 222-225 and 6'2". Decently quick for my size, hands were so-so .. we never passed anyway. We ran double tight and a lotta Wing T, also ran some unbalanced tackle-over stuff where I'd play the backside tight end when we'd go playside to the shortside (so essentially I'd play tackle). That in mind, for my team I was mid-range sized and not as strong as the other tackles. Bench was around 225-235, squat was around 415, dead was around 405. Hope this gives you a reference for size/strength on the football field.

On a side note, I'm rather depressed after recalling that I was in far, far better shape when I was 18 than I am now at 22. :)

Owens14
07-27-2007, 05:34 PM
i would suggest basing your routine around the big three, bench, squat, and deadlift and alot of cardio to prepare for the two-adays. I wouldnt really suggest basing it around anything specific until you know what position your coach is putting you at. Most of all, get mentally prepared, it can be alot different doing something so physically demanding from other sports....good luck and keep it all smiles :)

rbar89
07-27-2007, 09:57 PM
great to hear man, just work harder than anyone else and it will get you where you want to be. I have been working my ass off and now I'm starting at defensive end on varsity my senior and I've never played a snap in the A game freshman-junior year.

ThomasG
07-30-2007, 10:47 AM
coaches are going to try me on tight end

Gunshow
07-30-2007, 11:06 AM
tight end is fun usually bigger guys though:S i would say outside linebacker, Halfback, Safety, RB or even fullback if you've got some power.

ThomasG
08-04-2007, 11:48 AM
I am going to be playing tight end and outside linebacker

i ran the 40 in 4.8

jed
08-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Glad to hear you got the coaches to get you positions already. Some kids it takes 3 or 4 weeks for the coaches to figure it out!

Pretty good 40 time too!

MidlandBDog
08-14-2007, 02:37 PM
do compound lifts cus for football it doesnt matter how good you look just how big, fast, strong, and explosive you are. you obviously need good cardiovascular endurance for any position but you cant go without it for skilled positions (DB, Running Backs, WRs, QB most of the time). as for lifts power clean is the absolute best but anything like thrusters clean and jerk, and presses. but two a days WILL make you faster and better at any position if you work hard at running full speed everyplay. since my two a days has started my hams and claves have been killing me so just make sure you stretch too.

MidlandBDog
08-14-2007, 02:43 PM
oh and practice just overall ball handling like catching alot of passes cus coaches hate it when u have brick hands (i know) make sure your coaches can trust you in game situations

Itsnotaboutme
08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
It really all depends on how you do on practice, and what you are good at.