PDA

View Full Version : Free Radicals

BigBossMan
07-24-2007, 08:39 AM
I have heard that lifting creates tons of free radicals in your muscles and this is the primary reason for DOMS. I have also read that antioxidant supplements(Vitamin E, C, Q10?) help combat this. I did a search but didn't find many helpful threads.

BBB
07-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Yep. It will. Even better - get a serving of blueberries or raspberries everyday - preferably post work out to stop the free radical damage. It's good for skin too.

greekboy80
07-24-2007, 10:10 AM
^ Yes, Berries, Berries, and more Berries! All of them are great! Plus any kind of colorful fruit or veggies, they are all high in the antioxidants. Drink green tea too!

sharkall2003
07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Yes, yes, we need people to understand this concept more often about antioxidants. I've read way too many things on this board where people are more concerned about ten extra grams of protein over a serving of berries that drastically increases nutrition levels.

ddegroff
07-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Free radicals are a side effect of aerobic metabolism. So it's a part of life.

What most don't realize is fruit the best way to get anti-oxidents.

I took a packet of 1000mg of vitamin C after each workout. Didn't notice any less soreness than normal. Could have been the fact the anti-o's didn't come from fruit (if your part of that school of thought).

BigBossMan
07-24-2007, 01:51 PM
have any of you every heard of q10 I believe it is some type of enzyme....what foods contain vit E and Q10. I know that citrus has alot of vit C but not sure on these other antioxidants. I have heard that alot of anti-oxidant supplements are garbage becuase they cannot be absorbed well through the digestive system.

greekboy80
07-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I took a packet of 1000mg of vitamin C after each workout. Didn't notice any less soreness than normal. Could have been the fact the anti-o's didn't come from fruit (if your part of that school of thought).

Well, its not just the Vitamin C that is the antioxidant. A lot of the microchems., etc. that are there in the actual fruit that are better than just the C or E that people can take.

- For everyone - Its basic but informative, Give a look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant

motoko013
07-24-2007, 04:36 PM
hmmm....q10 sounds like a coenzyme

ddegroff
07-25-2007, 06:25 AM
Well, its not just the Vitamin C that is the antioxidant. A lot of the microchems., etc. that are there in the actual fruit that are better than just the C or E that people can take.

- For everyone - Its basic but informative, Give a look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antioxidant

Thank you I know that Vit C isn't the only one.

Wiki isn't the best source these days, but it does have decent info on this topic.

greekboy80
07-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Wiki isn't the best source these days, but it does have decent info on this topic.

Agreed, But it does cover the basics pretty well.

Yup, thats what I thought too.

BigBossMan
07-25-2007, 09:21 AM

yeah that is the ticket coenzyme....any idea how to get it in me? Other than a supplement?

Guido
07-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Blueberries are probably among the best for anti-oxidants. I always mix some into my protein shakes. Tastes damn good, too.

greekboy80
07-25-2007, 11:08 AM
yeah that is the ticket coenzyme....any idea how to get it in me? Other than a supplement?

I dont think so, but check this out. Do some research, let us all know when you find out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coenzyme_Q

BigBossMan
07-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Cells that contain mitochondria for oxidation are the best souce of CoQ. The more mitochondria, the more energy production, the more CoQ. Heart is the richest food source of CoQ because it is the most active muscle in our body, contracting once a second, day and night. It contains about 6 milligrams of CoQ per 3 ounce portion. Liver contains a quarter as much and body muscle meats a fifth to a tenth as much. Spinach has about 2/3 as much as heart but portions are smaller, usually only an ounce and that cuts the actual intake to about 1.5 milligrams.

Seeds contain coenzyme Q and unrefined corn oil and rice oil actually contain 3 to 5 times more CoQ than does heart! On average a tablespoonful of unrefined salad oil contains between a half milligram and 6 milligrams. If these natural foods are eaten regularly the Co Q intake might come up to 12 or 15 mg daily. Incidentally, tobacco leaf is the champion source, containing 184 mg in a quarter pound. In fact, the Japanese companies make their CoQ from tobacco, however it is only released by means of bacterial fermentation not by smoking.