PDA

View Full Version : Cant find optimum Kcal level

Biggins
07-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Ok back on eating carbs around workout only and ive lost 5 pounds in 4 days.I cant stand this yoyo effect anymore and I need help. Heres a bit of background to my dilema.For years I have been trying to get lean and while I have veins in my biceps and my legs look kinda cut my lovehandles are big.Ive tried eating 1000 calories and found that yes weightloss is quick yet I lost alot of muslce.The thing is this...I cant seem to find a good calorie level to stick with to get the 1 to 2 pounds per week weightloss. Heres my diet

4oz chicken breast,1 scoop whey,15 flax caps

4oz chicken breast,1 scoop whey,15 flax caps

4oz chicken breast,1 scoop whey,1/2 cup oats

PWO--80gms dex/40gms whey----Workout days only{mon/wed/fri}
Today I drank half right before workout and the other half rightafterwards and will probably do this from now on.

4oz chicken breast,1 scoop whey,1/2 cup oats

4oz lean steak,1 scoop whey,15 flax caps

How should I measure myself?Wait till friday and take a measurement and then measure again next friday seems like a good plan but I feel I will lose muscle if I dropped 5 pounds in 4days already.I think alots water but it just is hard to tell.

Im thinking more calories are needed...should I add more fat or protein...or maybe a bit more carbs????My protein is already at 250gms=300gms on workout days and that seems high enuff to me.

Any help??

KingWilder
07-25-2007, 05:58 PM
measure yourself first thing in the morning (and every week or 2)...so every friday or whatever day would be fine

I'm guessing most of what you lost was just water weight, so I wouldn't worry too much about that

it looks like you keep track of what you're eating so you might as well plug it into www.fitday.com

track for a week and then check your weight

if you went up in weight, reduce calories and track weight again

if you stayed the same, that's your maintenance, and if you decrease by 500 cals per day you can lose a pound per week

how tall are you/what do you weigh?

a good rule of thumb is to get 1.5-2g of protein per lb LBM (lean body mass)
as long as you're meeting that requirement you should be able to maintain your lean muscle mass
throw in about .5g per lb LBM of healthy fats and then whatever else you want (more protein or fat, carbs, whatever) to meet your overall calorie need (which you will determine after tracking for a week)

post up anymore questions if you have 'em

Biggins
07-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks,I must say that I am getting totally depressed eating like this.Its not the eating like this part that bothers me though,its the not getting results I want.I can eat the same thing day in and day out but man its hard when the sparetire doesnt budge.This of course is due to my cutting calories way too low.This time im gonna do it right and start high and cut a bit at a time.

I am 5ft8 at 180 pounds.

Ill follow your recomendations.I can get too my gym on friday before work for a weigh-in.The thing is that when I wake up I love to down like a quart of water.I dont know if i pisss that all out by the time I hit the gym and could screw with my readings.I really need to buy a scale for my house so that I can weigh myself upon awakening.

As of now I am gonna add one bag of mixed nuts on HIIT days and one pint of OJ on workout days to increase my calories a bit.Im at only 45gms fat as it stands with the extra small amount coming from the meats that I eat.The bag of nuts will add extra fat and maybe ill add half an avocado.So for now ill try this level with the added nuts and OJ and see hyow I fare.

Ill be back:strong:

KingWilder
07-25-2007, 08:03 PM
good luck

BigBossMan
07-26-2007, 07:46 AM
How much fiber is in this diet...and what are the macros how many cals etc?

seems like alot of protein 4oz of chicken breast a scoop of whey isn't that like 50-60g of prot?

Biggins
07-26-2007, 11:58 AM
How much fiber is in this diet...and what are the macros how many cals etc?

seems like alot of protein 4oz of chicken breast a scoop of whey isn't that like 50-60g of prot?

I eat 1 cup oats per day for 8gms fiber.I take 5 servings metamucil at night{sugar free}.Macros to me arent important....instead I go by food amounts.What I mean is that ive added a bag of nuts and a pint of OJ.If I am losing too fast im gonna add some more nuts:D I love em and they are like candy to me.If I am not losing im gonna cut the nuts and OJ netting me close to 400kcal deficit.

Yes it is alot of protein.I am a believer in high protein diets.With protein being higher by double the amount,I ensure myself that I will not fall short of my protein needs.Most likely i dont need all that protein but what could I eat instead.25gms protein and replace with fat worrys me that I "may" fall short of protein.25gms protein and replace with carbs and I am basically telling my body that theres plenty of glucose and to burn this first.

I can feel myself becoming a more efficient fat burner when I cut the carbs low.First week and I feel really bad when I eat my pro/fat meals.Then after a week or so I start to get energised with pro/fat meals.

Anyone else notice this effect??

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-26-2007, 06:41 PM
You should be eating around 25-30 grams of fiber or more a day. What does 5 servings of Metamucil equate to?

Biggins
07-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Thats 15 gms fiber.So with the oats in a day I eat 23gms.Theres days where I throw in a heaping 1/2 cup of metamucil and thats gotta have like 30gms fiber in itself.

Biggins
07-27-2007, 03:16 PM
oh dam....now im down to 177.Thats almost 10 pounds in one week.This is why ive never gotten lean.And to think that ive tried cutting on half what I eat now:swear:

Off to the bar to drown my sorrow and then start the madness all over again come sunday:whip:

Hatred
07-27-2007, 04:06 PM
um.. to maintain your weight you have to eat appx 2340 cals a day.

If you want to lose 2 lbs a week. You are going to have to create a 7000 calorie deficit over 7 days.
That leaves you eating 1340 cals a day. Or more and working the rest off. That sucks.
Be consistent. Follow the 50/30/20 macro split and shoot for a lb a week. This allows you to be consistent which is what gets you results in this sport.
Consistency and persistence.

Biggins
07-28-2007, 08:14 AM
The thing is im eating way over 1340 cal.Im eating too much I feel and the weight loss is too fast.I really need help with this.It must be water weight as my belt is still tight while I look a buit leaner in shoulders area.Gonna keep at it at same level and see where im at next friday.