PDA

View Full Version : Help with Weight Training Diet

psharma02
07-26-2007, 01:12 AM
I am 17. I weight 135 pounds and im 6'0. I was wondering if smoeone could help me with a 6 meal dietary plan to gain muscle. i know what good foods are but i dont know about the whole carb protein 55 35 10 thing. can someone help with a recipe plan for 6 meals a day? no beef or pork. thanks so \much!

Outshine
07-26-2007, 09:48 AM
I am 17. I weight 135 pounds and im 6'0. I was wondering if smoeone could help me with a 6 meal dietary plan to gain muscle. i know what good foods are but i dont know about the whole carb protein 55 35 10 thing. can someone help with a recipe plan for 6 meals a day? no beef or pork. thanks so \much!

Yeah, no one is going to sit here and write you up a complete daily meal plan. What I'll do however is tell you exactly what you need to do so you can come up with the meal plan yourself.

I wrote the following in response to someone else who asked a similar question as you just asked:

Track your calorie intake. You need to eat a diet that is about 500 calories above your maintenance level (which would basically be an amount that causes you to gain 1 pound per week). You need to do this consistently... every single day. If you're not gaining weight eating a certain amount, add 250 calories to that amount and see if you gain weight then. Do this until you finally gain weight. When the time comes that weight gain stops, add another 250 calories to make it start again.

Divide your total daily calorie intake up over the course of 5-8 smaller meals per day rather than 1-3 bigger ones.

Eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you weigh 140lbs, eat 140 grams of protein each day. Get this protein from chicken breast, turkey breast, fish (any kind), lean meats, eggs/egg whites and, if needed, a protein supplement.

Get 25-30% of your total calorie intake from fats such as nuts (any kind), 100% natural peanut butter, fish, fish oil, flax seed oil, olive oil, canola oil.

Get the rest of your calorie intake from mostly complex carbs like brown rice, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, beans, vegetables, fruits.

Some people see a skinny guy who wants to gain weight and just tells them to "eat everything in sight" or "eat like a horse" or "stop posting and start eating." While just eating more is the key to weight/muscle gain, the specifics I mentioned above will ensure that most of that weight gain is muscle rather than fat.

Combine this type of diet with a workout comprised mostly of big compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, pull ups, dips, overhead press, etc.). A 3 day per week full body routine like Starting Strength is perfect for the complete beginner. BGB or WBB1.1 (or a similar upper/lower type split) is ideal for the non-beginners. Work your ass off to make some form of progress on each exercise (5 more pounds, 1 more rep, whatever) as often as possible while still keeping your form perfect.

That type of diet + that type of workout = increased muscle