PDA

View Full Version : Help for pitcher...

Owens14
07-27-2007, 12:40 AM
im a 16 y/o pitcher looking for a baseball-specific workout program designed around a pitchers needs...I've read into plyos, overloading(weighted balls), and tubing programs but i was wondering if there are any others that might work better and be more weight-oriented instead of resistance-based...i weight lift regularly and im dedicated to it, but i need a workout that will benefit me by building the muscles used for pitching and throwing in general. Any websites, programs, or just simply ideas would be great...thanks guys

Gunshow
07-27-2007, 08:44 AM
I would think at your age just work on overall strenght. Practice your pitching, and if you're stronger than everyone else that will give you an edge. Then it just comes down to how good can you throw the ball. Work on more specific stuff when you get to a good size and you're going into college or higher level baseball. I'm guessing you don't have enough stregth yet to be worrying about details.

sharkall2003
07-27-2007, 08:50 AM
I'd keep an eye on the rotator cuff and shoulder in general. That's what destroyed my pitching. Once I slightly tore my rotator cuff I was destroyed for years to come.

Owens14
07-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I'd keep an eye on the rotator cuff and shoulder in general. That's what destroyed my pitching. Once I slightly tore my rotator cuff I was destroyed for years to come.

So would focusing on rotator cuff and shoulder exercises be a good start? I'd read about using a 2lb weight and going through your throwing motions with it....effective for building the muscles used for pitching or useless?

Anthony
07-27-2007, 09:05 AM
You get enough skill from practising and playing your sport - there's no need to turn your strength and conditioning routine into a baseball practise.

A weighted ball will hurt your accuracy ... definitely stay away from it.

In general, just get stronger. Squat, deadlift, lunge, clean, etc ... power is going to come from your hips (just like anything else) ... you may want to avoid overhead pressing work, but that's something you should look into on your own to determine if its a problem or not.

Gunshow
07-27-2007, 09:37 AM
So would focusing on rotator cuff and shoulder exercises be a good start? I'd read about using a 2lb weight and going through your throwing motions with it....effective for building the muscles used for pitching or useless?

Make sure you do rotator work and shoulder work but don't just focus on it. You don't want you're throwing arm to be out of proportion to your other arm, or your shoulders out of proportion to your body.Just grow and practice and you will get better. Unless you're going pro you don't need a pitching specific program...and you will be much happier with a well rounded body.

North
07-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Play a lot of long catch, go with someone and play catch and then someone stand a little longer than either of you guys can throw. Also work on your lower body and core strength.

redFury
07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
A very balanced weight training routine would likely suit you well. I think shoulder strength like others have mentioned would likely help you the most.

Owens14
07-27-2007, 05:20 PM
alright i really appreciate all the input...this gives me alot better idea of what to focus on in my training....one more thing though, what would be some good hip excercises? something like hip flexors?

Anthony
07-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Squats, deadlifts, cleans, lunges.

Maki Riddington
07-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Get strong for your sport.

This will help prevent injuries.

Squat, deadlift and do the variations of them. Work the external rotators single limb strength and cross rotational integration of the hips and shoulders.

Train to be explosive so you are fast.

Leave the endurance and high rep stuff alone. It has no place in baseball.

Hazerboy
07-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Good advice all around.

Stay away from any sort of isolation excercises. You throw with your whole body --train the same way.

Follow the KISS method - keep it simple stupid. Pick a few heavy, compound excercises, and try and stay away from most machines. They balance they weight for you and take the stabalizers out of the equation, which is where your throwing strength will come.

If your shoulder is already causing you problems, I would stay away from overhead pressing work, if not, I would think the overhead squat would be the perfect full body excercise for a pitcher. Olympic throwers swear by it: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/295/

Owens14
07-30-2007, 02:04 AM
alright, i've really took into consideration and am putting to use alot of these great ideas. i'm going to try to put together a simple workout based on all the input you guys have given me. Probably alot of core work (not too much) and alot of rotator cuff and shoulder work with a little cardio thrown in there. thanks for all the advice and in wont be in vain, ill get to work on it very soon. thanks everybody.

oh and hazerboy, no the only pain i ever get is a slight pain in my elbow but thats just because i go alot of cg's and i throw pretty deep side arm.

Itsnotaboutme
08-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Okay I too am a pitcher. I found this resistence band program made by a company called Jager sports I think. I'll have to find it, but Joel Zumaya of the tigers used it and went from throwing 95 to throwing 104.

shootermcgavin7
08-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Second the advice to NOT use weighted balls ---- do long toss with a regulation baseball instead if you want to build arm strength.

Tubing = Good
Rotator Cuff work = Good
Sprinting = Good
General Lifting (as others suggested) = Good

I had an elbow operation in high school and a shoulder operation playing in college...I wish I had had better advice back then.