PDA

View Full Version : Protein consumption per meal?

sharkall2003
07-27-2007, 07:55 AM
I've read numerous different claims as to how much protein you should have per meal. In Arnold's Encyclopedia it suggest 3-5 meals, 3 of them (your big main ones) 40-60 grams generally speaking. Then we have ON's whey package that says take total needed for day and divide by six. Six meal, you get the deal. Muscle and Fitness says that you can have 35 grams for leanness and 50 for size (Jay Cutler's trainer says this). Is there anything that can back up how much you can consume over a three hour period. I say 2.5 hours because that leaves 30 minutes for preparation and eight hours of sleep. Have there been any studies done?

Unholy
07-27-2007, 08:01 AM
As long as you get your protein goal for the day I don't think the details really matter too much, plenty of people here make shakes with more then 60g of protein. I try to space it out so I stay fairly full all day. I'm sure if you ate 2 very large meals with protein throughout the day your results wouldn't vary much from someone who ate 6 smaller meals.

sharkall2003
07-27-2007, 08:03 AM
I usually have 50-60 per meal. Two scoops whey, or two cans tuna. Or something along those lines. I think the only time I go outside the range is for streak dinners.

Alex.V
07-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Is there anything that can back up how much you can consume over a three hour period. I say 2.5 hours because that leaves 30 minutes for preparation and eight hours of sleep. Have there been any studies done?

No. No relevant studies have been done because the concept of "protein per meal" is fundamentally flawed. I've said this before, I'll say it again, protein digestion is NOT an instantaneous process, and can take hours for even relatively easily digested protein sources. If you're drinking, say, 60 grams of whey dissolved in water after having starved yourself for the previous 48 hours, you might conceivably max out your immediate amino acid utilization, and could be forced to drink a similar shake every two to three hours to maintain a positive nitrogen balance.

But the actual amount taken in in any real world scenario is subject to an incredible number of factors, including protein source, amino acid profile, amount of food in the stomach, speed of digestion (also influenced by activity level, overall health, etc.), total calories consumed over the day, types of food eaten concurrently, etc. I'm still absorbing protein from the steak I ate last night. So between that, the yogurt I had after dinner, the milk I had this morning, the oats still working their way through my system, the whey I had a few hours ago, the eggs I had with breakfast, etc. etc. etc. my calculations are totally ****ed.

No studies have ever been done on this because the information gained would be completely useless, and no scientist in the field is ignorant enough to ignore all of the above.

mikey4402
07-27-2007, 11:34 AM
^ so make it easy on yourself, and just worry about your daily macros. dont worry about the little things like how much at what time and from what source.