PDA

View Full Version : Tryptophan and the GH

BigBossMan
07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
I was wondering if any one else has heard that the essential amino acid tryptophan taken along with vintamin B3 and B6 creates a fairly large increase in the burst of GH that occurs directly after falling asleep?

Are tryptophan supplements sold? I know that they were banned a while back due to some deaths that occured by a faulty batch made in Japan. I don't know if they started making them again in the US.

BigBossMan
07-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Tryptophan, unlike most other amino acids, has been shown to elevate GH levels in healthy subjects.10 In normal patients, 10g tryptophan increased GH levels, as well as levels of glucose, insulin and glucagon.11 Tryptophan also lowered cortisol levels, although the response was quite variable. Since tryptophan sales are prohibited in many countries

Biggins
07-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Ahhh:rolleyes: tryptophan

Years back I read an article in a bodybuilding mag or website that said to take 5gms of tryptophan on an empty stomach and your seratonin levels will soar as will GH.I couldnt find any,cause of the ban,yet the article said to just purchase horse tryptophan.The trainers would give large doses to the horses to knock em out at night.

Well when I got some I was amazed at how sleepy I would get after 5gms ingested.Was so strong that even my breathing became shallow and bam lights out!!!!!!

I truly believe that it does wonders to the body when you pass out like this....like a baby.

Tryptophan is not banned anymore and vitamin shoppe has a bunch of brands already.

The thing is that when I p[urchased some and tried it I didnt get the same effect that I remembered from the hoprse tryptophan...which is the same stuff technically.What I think happened is ive screwed my body over the years with recreational drugs.I have insomnnia bad nowadays and its hard to fix.

What i found that works though I read from a bood called "potatoes not prozac".It states that on an empty stomach and right before bed one should eat a potoato or any carb source to push the tryptophan across the blood brain barrier.Done hours after a protein meal ensures that there arent many other aminos to compete with the tryptophan and so it rushes in causing a large production of seratonin.

This works for me.Right now I take last meal of pro/fat.....two hours later I drink this tiny,10gm carb probiotic drink and I get all groggy and pass out.

ddegroff
07-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Bigbossman - Where did you read this? I'm curious.

BigBossMan
07-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Bigbossman - Where did you read this? I'm curious.

I heard about it and was looking into it on the web...looking for scientific studies. That is where I got the quote. Apparently, it was used as an antidepressant. Than it got banned in 1989 because a bad batch killed 37 people with some disease called EMS. It looks like was approved for sale again in 2001 with some loophole in the FDA and it looks like you can but it at health food stores as L-tryptophan. I will look into next time I go to the vitamin store. I haven't found too many concrete studies on its impact on GH. Will let you know if I do!!

Biggins is right though everything I read said to take it on an empty stomach as far away from any other aminos as possible. Apparently, they compete or somethin. I didn't read anything about the carbs though that is interesting. I did run accross some other studies about large doses of arganine/ornothine effecting GH. Most of the studies it appears they are injecting them and don't appear to be that concrete. The only one that seems to be viable through oral supplementation is the tryptophan.

Biggins
07-28-2007, 08:06 AM
Trust me the carbs are the only way I can sleep at certain times.Too much is no good though while too little the same.

Heres the authors webiste explaining the potato....or oats,brown rice,etc...

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/potato_qna.html

Now couple this with some supplemental tryptophen and lookout.Might be too much tryptophan so you may have to experiment.Could get weird nightmares like on ZMA.Maybe adding ZMA could enhance it.dunno.