PDA

View Full Version : How's this for hypertrophy

ZenMonkey
07-27-2007, 12:33 PM
So im getting bored with my current strenght routine and would like to put on some more size. I am eating a ton and doing it clean and getting slightly bigger and much stronger but want more size. Mostly I am too small in the chest but am repping with like225-245.The mon/fri are what I feel I am lagging in size/want more out of(size) OH may replace pullups...maybe. Was thinking 4x8 or 4x12 and will be pushing 70-80 percent of my max which will be less weight than in my current 5x5 strength program. Help me figure this one out. FYI diet is 800-900 calories aove mainteinece (sp) a day sometimes more if I am feeling frisky. Very clean too.
Monday/Friday
Bench
Squat
Pullup or OH
Row

Wednesday
DL
OH Press or pullup
Curls
Skull crushers or narrow dips or pullovers

Cirino83
07-27-2007, 01:00 PM
check this article/routine out.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=75958

or this site:
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html#top

RichMcGuire
07-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Try alternating reps each week. The first week, you could do 6-8 reps and then the next week do 8-12. Then repeat. Conditioning yourself in a variety of rep schemes is always a good idea.

If your chest is lagging, you may want to try a bit of specialization for awhile. Mainly, however, hypertrophy is a result of progression in any form and extra calories.

ZenMonkey
07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
does my routine, posted above look sufficient if I switch back and forth each week betwixt 4x8 and 3x12.

Would a Mon 4x8 and Fri 3x12 work as well?
If I specialize then it may look like this

Bench
Squat
OH Press

DL
Pullup
Row

Bench
Curl
Pullover

RichMcGuire
07-27-2007, 01:16 PM
does my routine, posted above look sufficient if I switch back and forth each week betwixt 4x8 and 3x12.

Would a Mon 4x8 and Fri 3x12 work as well?

Yes and Yes.

ZenMonkey
07-27-2007, 01:18 PM
rich, check out my edit.

What are your opinions. I may add in some crunches somewhere

RichMcGuire
07-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Specializing would be focusing on a particular bodypart for a duration of time before burn out sets in. Benching alone would not be specializing.

ZenMonkey
07-27-2007, 01:20 PM
so bench on monday
and incline bench or flyes on friday

RichMcGuire
07-27-2007, 01:21 PM
rich, check out my edit.

What are your opinions. I may add in some crunches somewhere

Both routines look fine for your goals. Just choose one and go with it. Hypertrophy is mainly calories but you can try the alternating rep ranges and see how that feels. Its less boring that way too ;)

I dont really do crunches when gaining weight.

ZenMonkey
07-27-2007, 01:24 PM
I meant weighted decline crunches. Would both incline and flat be beneficial
Thnaks for the replys, you made my understanding more clear

RichMcGuire
07-27-2007, 01:28 PM
so bench on monday
and incline bench or flyes on friday

Monday/Friday
Bench
Incline DB press
Squat
Pullup
Row

Wednesday
DL
OH Press
Curls
Flat DB press

Thad be an idea for specializing on chest. As you can see, youd hit it more frequently and a bit harder. Also, youd be doing it first before squats. But its important to remember, you cant do this for long.

ZenMonkey
07-27-2007, 01:40 PM
how heavy are these

RichMcGuire
07-27-2007, 01:41 PM
how heavy are these

You could do 3 x 6-8 on monday, 2 x 5 (for flat DB press) on wed, and 3 x 8-12 on friday.

ZenMonkey
07-27-2007, 01:47 PM
so 3 times a week is not too much? Maybe one movement 3 x a week
eg,
MON-FlatBB 3x8
WED-Inc DB 4x8
FRI- Inc BB 3x12

RichMcGuire
07-27-2007, 01:50 PM
so 3 times a week is not too much? Maybe one movement 3 x a week
eg,
MON-FlatBB 3x8
WED-Inc DB 4x8
FRI- Inc BB 3x12

Try the routine I suggested above where chest is hit 3x a week a little bit harder than normal and with the alternating rep ranges. Then just make sure to eat a ton ;)

ZenMonkey
07-27-2007, 01:56 PM
I may, I have just under an hour to spend in the gym 3x a week. so 5 moves in one day 2 times a week pushes my limits.
As far as duration goes, are we talking 6 weeks, or until I can feel myself overtraining or what?
That routine also concerns me in the manner of overtraining, chest 5x a week.
sorry to be a pain in the bum

RichMcGuire
07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
I may, I have just under an hour to spend in the gym 3x a week. so 5 moves in one day 2 times a week pushes my limits.
As far as duration goes, are we talking 6 weeks, or until I can feel myself overtraining or what?
That routine also concerns me in the manner of overtraining, chest 5x a week.
sorry to be a pain in the bum

It was 3x a week. And thats fine. If you count the total sets for chest, its not too bad. And its not like youd be doing it forever.

I'd say specialize for around 4 weeks and then go back to a traditional full body routine like you were.

But honestly, you may just need to gain more weight and keep at it to fix imbalances. Specializing is somewhat of a more advanced aproach to it.

ddegroff
07-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Monday/Friday
Bench
Incline DB press (delete)
Squat
Pullup/Row Alternate M/F

Wednesday
DL
OH Press
Curls Probably not needed
Flat DB press

I would alternate Row/pullup on M/F. I don't feel the need for Incline press if OH press is heavy enough. Especially with Flat DB on Wednesday.

OP: With those changes would that fit in your time constraint?

RichMcGuire
07-27-2007, 10:20 PM
I would alternate Row/pullup on M/F. I don't feel the need for Incline press if OH press is heavy enough. Especially with Flat DB on Wednesday.

OP: With those changes would that fit in your time constraint?

The incline dumbell press was there simply because the chest was being specialized for a temporary time period. If anything, maybe take out OH press enlight of the dumbell press.

ZenMonkey
07-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Well today I completely imploded my now ex-style of lifting. (i think, depends how i feel tomorrow) . Today was Dead, dips,row, Pullup, (changed dips to fllat BB bench) On the bench I lowered my weight to get a full set of 3x10. I went from repping 225 w/ 5x5 (barley getting it up the last couple reps, need help sometimes) to ~160 and really focusing on contracting my chest during the entire movement, and really hard at the beginning and the end of the movement and it was so difficult . the pump afterward felt great. I havent felt my chest like this in a very long time. I was just pushing the weight up, but today the mind to muscle connection was amazing. I became so spent I could barley complete my pullups. My understanding from the hypertrophy lit I have read I did this correctly? am I right. Is this the correc change and transition I should be feeling?

ddegroff
07-28-2007, 08:30 AM
The incline dumbell press was there simply because the chest was being specialized for a temporary time period. If anything, maybe take out OH press enlight of the dumbell press.

Yeah that's a good idea. For a short period of time.

Zen - Sounds good man just keep focusing on it. That might be all that you need, just more focus on the muscles that you are trying to work.

ZenMonkey
07-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Well this morning I am not feeling what I expected in my chest, but its only been 14 hours, so we'll see. I can almost always count on being sore the next day. I am not yet, but I was convinced I would be hurting today because I walked out of the gym yesterday with a magnificent chest pump. I know this is no way to tell how well my wourkout was, but it has always semed lke a decent indicator for me. Yesterday I would have told you that my chest was gonna be in pain, not yet. Is that what I should expect(not being as sore if I was lifting for strength with higher weight and lower reps) from doing what i described above.

RichMcGuire
07-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Dont judge anything by your soreness. Its simply a build up of lactic acid because of Glycolysis.

ZenMonkey
07-28-2007, 02:35 PM
I know I shouldnt, but, I literally get sore from lifting every time. At least during my 5x5 high weight low rep scheme i did. Is not being sore what I should expect from this change of pace? (since i dropped wieght andincreased reps)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Stop focusing on soreness and focus on your progress. If you're making progress, that's all that matters. Soreness is irrelevant. Only pay attention to soreness if its causing you immense pain. Know the difference between good pain and bad pain.

ZenMonkey
07-28-2007, 04:47 PM
as far as progression goes, how do I know when to add weight. What i mean by this is, when I did my 5x5 strength, I was lifting as heavy as possible while being able to complete all 5. In transistion to a 3x10/ 4x8 focusing more on a mind-muscle connection and muscle contraction should I be lifting as heavy as possible?
For some reason I remember hearing somewhere that you can increase development size without going balls to the wall heavy and focusing on the contraction.

ddegroff
07-29-2007, 10:20 PM
If I can complete 4x8 with the same weight. I'll add weight the next workout.