PDA

View Full Version : dirty cutting?

dscarth
07-27-2007, 09:00 PM
So I had previously wanted to cut fairly clean, but after day one I decided instead I'll track on fitday, and making smarter eating choices. I'm also lifting about 3x a week and doing full body workout instead of upper/lower split.

I've lost 15 lbs so far (about ~2.2lbs/week). I look a little leaner. I feel better. My arms feel a little bigger. DOMS isn't as bad as when I first started.

I still want to lose about 30 pounds. Now... as long as I keep cals below maintenence, get enough protein, and keep exercising... can I keep this up?

BigBossMan
07-28-2007, 01:19 AM
So I had previously wanted to cut fairly clean, but after day one I decided instead I'll track on fitday, and making smarter eating choices. I'm also lifting about 3x a week and doing full body workout instead of upper/lower split.

I've lost 15 lbs so far (about ~2.2lbs/week). I look a little leaner. I feel better. My arms feel a little bigger. DOMS isn't as bad as when I first started.

I still want to lose about 30 pounds. Now... as long as I keep cals below maintenence, get enough protein, and keep exercising... can I keep this up?

whats dirty about it? you are eating crap food just less?

well as you lose more weight your maintainance will get lower and lower so you will have to keep dropping more cals. For somereason when you get under 15% or so it was for me things start to really slow down as far as weightloss.

dscarth
07-28-2007, 07:27 AM
yeah. i mean, im not eating at all from mcdonalds, but every few days i might get a grilled twister wrap from kfc with some mashed potatoes, or some other lighter form of takeout. i tend to stick with grilled chicken (though i did get a burger from a diner yesterday), but the fast food prepared chicken seems kind of high in sodium (all of which i've gotten nutrition facts for and popped into fitday).

i did cut out all junk food (chips, soda, candy, etc), which I havent eaten since I started, but i'm not exactly eating as "clean" as some people seem to.

Al3X
07-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Well your dieting, and your losing weight. Whats so dirty about it? How do you define a clean cut?

dscarth
07-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Well your dieting, and your losing weight. Whats so dirty about it? How do you define a clean cut?
Well, after a week or two I got tired of eating chicken breast, steak and brown rice 24/7 (salad, water, tuna, etc) which I would consider clean. So I decided to track calories and half ass it instead.

I mean, its working... I was wondering if I should just keep at it until it stops working?

In any case, I think I might switch back to "cleaner" eating. I just wanted to see what opinions of others were.

WBBIRL
07-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Compromise.

Eat those foods (chicken, tuna, turkey, brown rice, salad) 5-6 days out of the week and then on once a week or so eat 1 meal thats a little more relaxed in terms of what you eat. Don't take that as a pass to consume 5000 calories in one meal either though, don't kid yourself like that.

If your sincere about cutting the fat then you have to be honest and dedicated to the diet. You don't have to go at it like one slip up and its all in vain though.

You can also do littler things like every once in a while buy 2% milkfat cottage cheese instead of fat free and eat sugar free jello.

Eating cleaner will allow you to have a better control over your macro breakdowns and you'll feel fuller on less calories. Eat 1000 calories worth of chicken in one sitting and then eat 1000 calories worth of snack cakes or cookies in one serving. I probably couldn't eat 1000 calories worth of chicken at once... roughly 2 and a half pounds. If you could, you'd be so stuffed you could barely move. You could probably down 1000 calories worth of chips ahoy like no ones business and keep on trucken.

Stackattack
07-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Now... as long as I keep cals below maintenence, get enough protein, and keep exercising... can I keep this up?

As long as you do this, the food source itself (and whether or not the food is 'clean' or 'unclean') DOES NOT MATTER. Losing fat as opposed to muscle will come down to you maintaining strength in the gym and ofcourse genetics.
However, the points WBBIRL made about feeling full etc may came into play and due to this you may in the end find it advantageous, as i and many others do, to get the bulk of your calories from 'clean' foods.

CarlP
07-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Well, after a week or two I got tired of eating chicken breast, steak and brown rice 24/7 (salad, water, tuna, etc) which I would consider clean. So I decided to track calories and half ass it instead.

I mean, its working... I was wondering if I should just keep at it until it stops working?

In any case, I think I might switch back to "cleaner" eating. I just wanted to see what opinions of others were.

If you are tracking your food and meeting your physique/strength goals, then keep doing what you are doing. If you stop making progress, then you can assess the situation and make a change.

BBB
07-29-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm cutting and I eat waffles with syrup and butter 2 or 3 times a week. No biggie as long as you are making progress :D