PDA

View Full Version : Question About Running

Bob_1986
07-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Hey, I run 3 miles a day, well I do it pretty slowely, about 12 minute miles. I have 5LB leg weights at my house, should I put these on and continue the pace I have been going or should I work on trying to run it faster? I mean I can run it faster but should I try for consecutive 9 minute miles?

Bako Lifter
07-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Why are you doing steady state cardio?

Are you training for a marathon or something?

Altephor
07-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Personally I would never use ankle weights. Running on pavement is already terrible for your knees, adding weight to that scenario, even 5 lbs, is asking for knee issues.

DarrenEff
07-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Personally I would never use ankle weights. Running on pavement is already terrible for your knees, adding weight to that scenario, even 5 lbs, is asking for knee issues.

..whats the difference if he put on 5lbs of weight?

Bob_1986
07-28-2007, 06:26 PM
I am doing steady cardio because I am trying to lose weight.

markdk86
07-28-2007, 06:27 PM

Fix your diet and you won't need as much cadrio.

Altephor
07-28-2007, 06:28 PM

5 lbs adds a lot more force when your foot impacts the pavement.

Anthony
07-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Run faster. Case closed.

Bob_1986
07-28-2007, 06:35 PM
I run on a track so hopefully that is minimizing damage to my knees.

markdk86
07-28-2007, 06:47 PM

5lbs, contacting the grounds hundreds of times or more... hmm

Bako Lifter
07-28-2007, 06:51 PM

Steady state cardio is a waste of time. (If you're doing it to lose weight. Not if you're building endurance for a sport or something.)

You lose weight with diet manipulation and lifting weights.

Search "How to do Cardio if You Must". You can use the search function on here or on google.

tomv
07-29-2007, 02:56 AM
I wouldn't say it's a waste of time... In the article you mentioned Built points out that it has benefits beyond sports specific. Howsabout general Heart Health for a start?

Bako Lifter
07-29-2007, 03:25 AM
I was gonna say for general cardio vascular health, but I wasn't sure if that was actually a "term" (cardio vascular health). So I left it out.

But I also said it was useless for losing weight. And of course I don't actually mean useless, but it's definately inferior.

DarrenEff
07-29-2007, 05:43 AM
5 lbs adds a lot more force when your foot impacts the pavement.

Yes and I comprehend that. But I mean if he GAINED 5lbs of weight to his body, would you then advise him to stop running? That's just ridiculous

redFury
07-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Yes and I comprehend that. But I mean if he GAINED 5lbs of weight to his body, would you then advise him to stop running? That's just ridiculous

The problem with ankle weights that I see has to do with the location of the weights themselves. On the ankle causes the stress on the knees especially to be increased substantially. The effect on the body is much different distributing the weight here rather than across the whole body. To the OP, I would certainly advise increasing the pace if you are doing the running for gpp/enjoyment.

Alex.V
07-29-2007, 03:41 PM
The problem with ankle weights that I see has to do with the location of the weights themselves. On the ankle causes the stress on the knees especially to be increased substantially. The effect on the body is much different distributing the weight here rather than across the whole body. To the OP, I would certainly advise increasing the pace if you are doing the running for gpp/enjoyment.

Yep. 5 pounds of dead weight at the end of the foot. Not normal for the body; you're drastically increasing the weight at the distal end of the leg, and the distal end ONLY, which means a lot more force needed to slow the foot down before impact with the ground. Knee hyperextension, hip flexor strains, the list of **** that can happen from the use of ankle weights makes them completely worthless in my opinion. Well, that, and the fact that they're not going to make your legs much stronger, and they won't do much for your cardiovascular system.

DarrenEff
07-29-2007, 04:27 PM
hmmm although my scenario is nothing like his...I played soccer from ages 4-19, from about 13-19 I ran with ankle weights (of various weight) on and I've never had any knee problems. So I guess all in all it just increases the chances of something happening.

Bob_1986
07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
I have always thought that a steady pace where your heart rate is lower is more conducive to weight loss. Kind of like when you go to a gym and get on a treadmill, if you choose the weight loss workout it has you keep your heart rate down as opposed to running as hard as you can.

Thanks for the leg weight advice, I used them a few times and always hated it, I am glad to hear that it is better to run without them.

growthrep
08-09-2007, 08:35 AM
I like to mix up my running. I'm cutting so running is really helping me create a caloric deficit. I do HIIT once a week and 5k runs twice a week. The fat is coming off nicely plus my cardiovascular health and overall fitness is improving rapidly. Nothing wrong with weighttraining and doing cardio. Keep experimenting until your body shows you what works for you.

Anthony
08-09-2007, 08:45 AM
I have always thought that a steady pace where your heart rate is lower is more conducive to weight loss. Kind of like when you go to a gym and get on a treadmill, if you choose the weight loss workout it has you keep your heart rate down as opposed to running as hard as you can.

Thanks for the leg weight advice, I used them a few times and always hated it, I am glad to hear that it is better to run without them.

You burn a higher percentage of fat during the low intensity exercise, BUT, higher intensity exercise burns a lot more fat AFTER you stop (both percentage and absolute). You gotta look at the entire process, not just during exercise. Do a search on EPOC for more detailed info.

Simply.sweet
09-24-2007, 08:25 AM
So all through my grade school days and my middle school days I swam on the swim team at my schools, I quit in High school and now trying to get back into working out. I can go to pool and swim forever but the second i lace my shoes up to run I feel as if im out of breath. I go running with my boyfriend and after 20 minutes(we run for time not distance) im wipped out completly. I came to the conclusion that its probably because when swimming i can control my breathing and with running I dont really know how to monitor it. Can anyone help me out with this?? I need advice on breathing techniques and exercises i can do to improve myself.
Thanks
:)

Bikkstah
09-24-2007, 08:59 AM
I only run distance x2 a week. The rest of the time I do suicides or track sprints (sprint the straights, walk/jog the curves) to improve speed. You will never increase your speed running the same distance at the same pace everytime unless you are timing yourself and running faster.

Organichu
09-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Don't use the weights.

xlerate9
01-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Running on pavement is already terrible for your knees, adding weight to that scenario, even 5 lbs, is asking for knee issues.

This is a foolish statement. If running hurts your knees, you're not running properly.

Guido
01-07-2008, 01:51 PM
To the OP:

If your goal is weight loss or cardiovascular fitness, google "HIIT" or "tabata". They are much better methods and much less abusive on the joints.

Cycle28
03-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I would not recommend running with ankle/leg weights. Depending on your goals you should either increase mileage or speed, or a mix of both. Good luck!