PDA

View Full Version : Lentil soup, high protein bulking agent for vegetarians? Read...

Scorpion
07-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Alrite...

Just wanted to share some useful information with you guys about Lentils as im asian, although my mum makes Lentil soup or another type of Legume based soup for my family everyday, i've only realised the bodybuilding benefits today even though she used to tell me about the protein in them since i was a kid. How sad.

Lentils have just over 25grams of Protein per 100g (sometimes as high as 35% protein content). They are a great source of protein, but have many health benefits, especially for bodybuilders. Also, a good source of complex carbs!

Lentils also have Omega 3's and 6's if i remember correctly? They have alot of dietary soluable fiber in them to help digestion, high levels of iron in a single serving of Lentils as well as potassium and zinc (good for testosterone).

When combined with Oats, nuts/seeds, peanuts and handful of other vegetarian foods, it becomes a high quality, complete source of protein, and many of us bodybuilders have Oats in our diets daily, so this personally would be a perfect addition.

To me, this is now going to be something i have daily to help me increase my caloric and protein intake a fair bit, with ease :) Just over 25grams of protein per 100g of Lentils and around 350 calories per 100g, its perfect for a bulking diet! Dont you think?

Right, to finish off, Lentil soup would be the easiest for those who work or have time constraints, or for those who are like me, who cant be assed to chew their food :) Please google for recipes regarding Lentil soup, its quite simple and straight forward, and I beleive using a small pressure cooker cuts the time taken to make Lentil soup by a fair bit. Please find your own recipes, it only requires a few spices/ingredients to make Lentils into a nice high protein/complex carb soup/drink, oh and did i mention its extremely low in fat? You may also lookup info on adding ground flax powder into the Lentil soup for alot more extra calories for more health benefits and additional Omega 3's and 6's.

So if you're stuck on a protein source or for some additional food for your bulking diet, you might want to consider making Lentil soup daily to help your gains. The taste, not bad at all to be honest, Indians (including me) usually add small amounts of stuff called Jaggery, a type of unrefined sugar into the Lentil soup to sweeten it slightly. Perfectly drinkable stuff i'd say.

Thanks for taking time to read my post, and I really hope this helps somebody! :)

Scorpz

Questor
07-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Lentils are a fantastic legume. For all the reasons you've named, but I want to underscore their high fiber content.

My family is Hispanic, and a traditional Mexican soup is simply: sopa de lentejas. It's lentils, tomato, chilies, bacon, chorizo, and rice - not exactly ideal body builder food, but delicious.

Scorpion
07-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Its gunna be a staple in my bulking diet now, its dirt cheap, and maybe even if i had 200grams worth of lentils in a soup per day, thats around 700calories, and around 53grams of protein as well as many other phytochemicals and macronutrients. Perfect considering its quite low in fat and has complex carbs ;)

getfit
07-29-2007, 07:34 AM
I love my lentils.Also great with rice.

Stumprrp
07-29-2007, 08:42 AM
great read, my mom makes lentils and rice with some olive oil, good stuff