PDA

View Full Version : Who eats McDonalds on a bulk?

Twan
07-28-2007, 09:51 PM
I mean, $3.35 or so for 1300 calories, 75g protein, 75g fat. I love it.

Bako Lifter
07-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Hell ya. You can't beat it.

Jordban
07-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Good point, but I would rather save my heart, liver, kidney, etc

CleverName
07-28-2007, 10:44 PM
If you're building a skyscraper do you use good materials or bad materials? Build your body with good food, not bad.

maxiscool
07-28-2007, 10:46 PM
what has 1300 calories? The double quarter pounder?

Phenom
07-28-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't see what's wrong with a quarter pounder every now and then.

Bako Lifter
07-28-2007, 11:26 PM
what has 1300 calories? The double quarter pounder?

3 double cheeseburgers have 1320 calories according to McDonalds.com

Al3X
07-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I'd rather eat something that I feel good about. I do eat fast food maybe once a week, but it's not a normal nutrition plan.

jtteg_x
07-28-2007, 11:55 PM
i only do that when i have short breaks during work and theres nothing else.

Clifford Gillmore
07-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Hah, I eat it on a cut! Just done with 3 triple cheese burgers.

Chubrock
07-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Haha I was about to say. I have McDs probably once a week, if not twice. 2 or 3 McChickens and a Double Cheeseburger.

KingWilder
07-29-2007, 09:11 AM
mmmmmmm trans fat

once a month (for ANY type of fast food) is more than enough for me...I just don't care to eat it anymore

Detard
07-29-2007, 10:15 AM
All the time

sharkall2003
07-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Um, I'm not a McDonald's fan. I would rather go to Hardees. Or maybe Wendy's. Those fast food restaurants have good burgers.

RichMcGuire
07-29-2007, 10:23 AM
If you're building a skyscraper do you use good materials or bad materials? Build your body with good food, not bad.

Bad analogy. This is bulking.

You can build your body with any extra calories then cut with good food ;)

KingWilder
07-29-2007, 10:32 AM
traditional bulking and cutting are overrated and it's def. not good for your overall health to keep jumping up and back down in weight

jbrin0tk
07-29-2007, 11:03 AM
traditional bulking and cutting are overrated and it's def. not good for your overall health to keep jumping up and back down in weight

King, would you care to elaborate on that? I'm not doubting you in the slightest; I've just never heard of any other way than the "traditional" way of bulking and cutting. Thanks, man.

HahnB
07-29-2007, 11:08 AM
I've eaten Mcdonalds once in almost a year-and it was only because we stopped there on the way back from a vacation and I was starving. The food just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I don't see how the way its prepared could really appeal to anyone. Have you ever seen the kitchen of those places? It's usually filthy. I'd rather make my own meal at home. 75g of protein is nice, but is irrelevant when you consider all the sodium, sugar and fat it has. It's just the whole preparation and carelessness the workers have that turned me off. How thrilled are you to each a sandwich that was handed to you by a 45 year old lady with 2 missing teeth?

-Superman-
07-29-2007, 11:16 AM
I mean, $3.35 or so for 1300 calories, 75g protein, 75g fat. I love it.

Is the sun hot? :D

samj
07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
am i right in saying MOST of the calories in a mcdonalds meal will turn to fat and not muscle because it is very low in nutrients and thats what the muscle needs to grow

Unholy
07-29-2007, 12:20 PM
am i right in saying MOST of the calories in a mcdonalds meal will turn to fat and not muscle because it is very low in nutrients and thats what the muscle needs to grow

No you are not right in saying that, at all.

samj
07-29-2007, 12:23 PM
why not?

Unholy
07-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Because what you said is wrong.

samj
07-29-2007, 12:26 PM
please inlighten me

Unholy
07-29-2007, 12:29 PM
www.wannabebigforums.com , please enlighten yourself. I'm not going to waste time.

samj
07-29-2007, 12:32 PM
i am on them fella thats why i am asking but then again it dont mean crap to me i dont eat ****e

KingWilder
07-29-2007, 01:09 PM
King, would you care to elaborate on that? I'm not doubting you in the slightest; I've just never heard of any other way than the "traditional" way of bulking and cutting. Thanks, man.

Read this:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

samj
07-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Conclusion

Somebody had to say it and it was me. I'm tired of seeing young kids with good potential, who are lean and have nice shapes to start with, ruin their bodies by following the bulking advice from self-proclaimed Internet "gurus" who advise them to eat as much food as they can, even junk food if it can help them jack up their calories. All this will accomplish is helping them add heaps of fat to their lean bodies.

I agree that a lot of young lifters don't eat enough to support maximum muscle growth, but eating junk or super-excessive calories isn't the way to go. The basic message is good: if you aren't gaining muscle, you're probably not eating enough. However, that doesn't mean you should eat too much and it doesn't mean you should eat crap!

Chubrock
07-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Dude, you're 17, a lot of these "internet gurus" have been training for longer than you're alive.

BrettC
07-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Chub did you even read the article? It was written by someone who knows his stuff and isent 17, the guy above you just posted the ending of the article.

HahnB
07-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Conclusion

Somebody had to say it and it was me. I'm tired of seeing young kids with good potential, who are lean and have nice shapes to start with, ruin their bodies by following the bulking advice from self-proclaimed Internet "gurus" who advise them to eat as much food as they can, even junk food if it can help them jack up their calories. All this will accomplish is helping them add heaps of fat to their lean bodies.

I agree that a lot of young lifters don't eat enough to support maximum muscle growth, but eating junk or super-excessive calories isn't the way to go. The basic message is good: if you aren't gaining muscle, you're probably not eating enough. However, that doesn't mean you should eat too much and it doesn't mean you should eat crap!

I agree. I've seen lots of bulking pics on here over the years and a lot of people looked better before their bulks than they did after-even though they were skinnier. Often times, a lot of these people never lose the fat they put on during their fast and often "dirty" bulks.

Chubrock
07-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Chub did you even read the article? It was written by someone who knows his stuff and isent 17, the guy above you just posted the ending of the article.

I didn't read the article at all. If the guy posted the ending of the article, then I retract my statement.

HahnB
07-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Belial made a good point the other day about cheat meals, and we all have them. I average about 2 a week. I just enjoy primarily healthy food, so it's not that hard for me. I'm a firm believer that for most of us, what you put into your body will dictate what you look like. I would say a cheat meal everyday could even be ok, assuming the cheat meal isn't a large pizza or a box of cookies. If you're going to bulk and have a cheat meal everyday, I'd try to keep that meal as small as possible. In the end you'll know if you dieted right by the amount of fat gain.

samj
07-29-2007, 03:19 PM
"you are what you eat"

Unholy
07-29-2007, 03:22 PM
"you are what you eat"

Well ones things for sure, you don't look like a vagina.

samj
07-29-2007, 03:30 PM
:scratch: lol

Tofer
07-29-2007, 04:09 PM
I agree. I've seen lots of bulking pics on here over the years and a lot of people looked better before their bulks than they did after-even though they were skinnier. Often times, a lot of these people never lose the fat they put on during their fast and often "dirty" bulks.
I completely agree. When I comment on someone's pic thread when they're starting here, I'll only tell them they need to bulk if I honestly feel it would be for the best and I would NEVER advocate a dirty bulk.

Sometimes guys will come to this site, who honestly look good already, and a whole bunch of people (who are almost always fat, for what it's worth) will tell them they look like a starving African or that they need to start eating whatever they can get their hands on. I hate to see guys listen to that crap and end up looking worse off after putting in a **** load of work. In truth, most of the fat guys who makes these kinda comments would kill to have the same build. Is it a jealousy thing? I don't know.

But whatever. A dirty bulk is not the way to go. Save your bad calories for going out and drinking occasionally.

Alex.V
07-29-2007, 04:13 PM
True that. Nothing worse than somebody who starts out lean, with excellent potential to look amazing in a few years... and then post pictures a year later having put on ten pounds of muscle and thirty pounds of fat.

"Bulking" is a dirty word. But, again, it's not WHERE these calories are coming from. Hell, half these guys manage to look like crap from chicken breasts and brown rice. It's that they're taking in 5,000 calories a day when 3500 might do them just fine.

Howard 9
07-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Calories are calories. If you eat within your macros you are not going to get any fatter eatting just mcdonalds or just chicken. You can get fat from to much chicken and oats. I just read an experiment of a lifter who ate only McDonalds for 30 days and actually lost weight.

Chubrock
07-29-2007, 04:49 PM
"Bulking" is a dirty word. But, again, it's not WHERE these calories are coming from. Hell, half these guys manage to look like crap from chicken breasts and brown rice. It's that they're taking in 5,000 calories a day when 3500 might do them just fine.

That's very true. I don't eat very clean at all on the weekend, yet I manage to put on mostly LBM. I've done a good job at keeping my bf down even though my eating habits aren't near as strict as most people. I'm putting on weight at such a slow pace, that like you said, it's not where the calories are coming that matters TOO much.

HahnB
07-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Calories are calories. If you eat within your macros you are not going to get any fatter eatting just mcdonalds or just chicken.

So then someone trying to get into contest shape at 5% body fat might as well just eat big macs and whoppers, right?

Whitebread
07-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Bad analogy. This is bulking.

You can build your body with any extra calories then cut with good food ;)

I highly disagree. Sure, fast food provides plenty of calories and protein in one serving, but it lacks some necessary nutrients, has a large amount of simple sugars and trans fats. Eating 7000+ calories of fast food WILL provide you with the energy, protein and carbs for fast growth, but it will also turn you into a diabetic.

Build your body with good food and cut with good food.

Howard 9
07-29-2007, 06:06 PM
So then someone trying to get into contest shape at 5% body fat might as well just eat big macs and whoppers, right?

Oh right sorry I forgot we were talking about all the future mr olympias in here:rolleyes:

Also eatting whoppers and big macs would be hard to fit in your macros.

HahnB
07-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh right sorry I forgot we were talking about all the future mr olympias in here:rolleyes:

My point was that the source of your calories will matter, to some degree. If it didn't matter, you would have agreed with me that people cutting to low body fat levels could eat fast food all day-but you don't agree to that, because it's obviously wrong.

Also eatting whoppers and big macs would be hard to fit in your macros.

This only strengthens my argument. This is the primary reason that it does matter where your calories come from. You can't have a diet consisting of ****ty foods and expect to meet your macros.

RichMcGuire
07-29-2007, 07:54 PM

Take a look at my progress pics. Ive gained about 40 lbs and did not raise my overall body fat by much at all. I still have a decent six-pack when I flex. Where did a lot of my calories come from? 4 cheese burgers with added mayo and olives, and a large fry every day. Even my blood pressure is still fine despite the "high sodium".

The point is, it doesnt really matter where your calories come from as long as you stay within a required macro...Macro being the key word. Of course, total calories play the biggest role on a bulk or cut.

Whitebread
07-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Take a look at my progress pics. Ive gained about 40 lbs and did not raise my overall body fat by much at all. I still have a decent six-pack when I flex. Where did a lot of my calories come from? 4 cheese burgers with added mayo and olives, and a large fry every day. Even my blood pressure is still fine despite the "high sodium".

The point is, it doesnt really matter where your calories come from as long as you stay within a required macro...Macro being the key word. Of course, total calories play the biggest role on a bulk or cut.

Fine now, but if you keep those habits up for years on end its not going to be good for you.

RichMcGuire
07-29-2007, 07:56 PM
My point was that the source of your calories will matter, to some degree. If it didn't matter, you would have agreed with me that people cutting to low body fat levels could eat fast food all day-but you don't agree to that, because it's obviously wrong.

This only strengthens my argument. This is the primary reason that it does matter where your calories come from. You can't have a diet consisting of ****ty foods and expect to meet your macros.

No, you couldnt eat fast food all day simply because youd be over on total calories. If all you ate was a bic mac and then a fry for dinner with a protein shake at night, youd probably drop a lot of body fat. But Macros are very important. Macros allow people to have cheat meals each day as long as they fufill the macro requirements.

RichMcGuire
07-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Fine now, but if you keep those habits up for years on end its not going to be good for you.

That is true and I dont disagree with that.

HahnB
07-29-2007, 08:57 PM
If all you ate was a bic mac and then a fry for dinner with a protein shake at night, youd probably drop a lot of body fat.

So, you would advise someone trying to get into contest shape to follow this diet? Wonderful. Would you advise an obese person to eat Mcdonalds if they were trying to lose body fat? Who exactly are you recommending follows this diet? I guess we don't need the thread "what a bodybuilder eats anymore". All these Olypmic and world class athletes following strict diets have no idea what they're doing. I mean geez, who's training these people? They could be eating big macs!

I'd sure like to see your Mcdonalds diet that allows a person to eat 2k calories a day and stay within a healthy range of sodium, fat, sugar and still get sufficient protein and healthy fats. It doesn't exist, which is my point. These foods are not practical, nor sensible for the average bodybuilder to eat on a regular basis. If they do, it will be reflected in their physique. There are some people that can get away with it, but they're not the majority.

STATUS
07-29-2007, 09:12 PM
I got a secret for all of you...

Quiznos is the answer!! ..I use to manage a quiznos and I assure you that there meat and veggies is quality product...It's fresh cut everyday and not sent in bags like subways veggies an meat...

The mesquite chicken with bacon has 1300 cals...wit 82 grams of protein
White bread, tomatoes, onion, lettuce, bacon, 9 oz. of chicken, ranch

Black Angus has 1700 cals...with 119 grams of protien
Smoked sauce, with white onions, mushrooms, 9. oz of fresh cut angus steak and bannana peppers....

bam the awnser has come

RichMcGuire
07-29-2007, 10:00 PM
So, you would advise someone trying to get into contest shape to follow this diet? Wonderful. Would you advise an obese person to eat Mcdonalds if they were trying to lose body fat? Who exactly are you recommending follows this diet? I guess we don't need the thread "what a bodybuilder eats anymore". All these Olypmic and world class athletes following strict diets have no idea what they're doing. I mean geez, who's training these people? They could be eating big macs!

I'd sure like to see your Mcdonalds diet that allows a person to eat 2k calories a day and stay within a healthy range of sodium, fat, sugar and still get sufficient protein and healthy fats. It doesn't exist, which is my point. These foods are not practical, nor sensible for the average bodybuilder to eat on a regular basis. If they do, it will be reflected in their physique. There are some people that can get away with it, but they're not the majority.

Sarcasm gets you no where fast.

I simply said if you had a Mcdonalds meal each day like I did (just one meal) you could stay in a healthy macro range for building muscle with minimal fat gain..

I never said Id advise anyone to eat McDonalds for a cut or for an athlete or whatever else you blew out of porportion.

I agree its not the best way to do things. That should be obvious to anyone. But at the same time, it can be done if done properly.

HahnB
07-29-2007, 10:51 PM
I simply said if you had a Mcdonalds meal each day like I did (just one meal) you could stay in a healthy macro range for building muscle with minimal fat gain..

More than likely a fast food meal is going to be around 1000 calories, more if you drink a big soda. If they're cutting, it's out of the question. You can't consume half or a third of your calories from fast food on a cut on a daily basis. If they're bulking, I still wouldn't advise them to do it. When I said a cheat meal everyday could be possible, I didn't mean a 1000 calorie meal. We're trying to make generalizations, which is always bad. However, if we are going to make one, I'm still sticking to the cleaner you eat, the better off you are.

Bako Champ
this method works really good mcdonalds while bulking

Bako Champ
this method works really good mcdonalds while bulking

Stumprrp
07-29-2007, 10:56 PM
i prob eat it 1-2 times a week, its tasty, fast, and kills 1am hunger.

i wont lie, i can make food that tastes better myself but at night i rather not.

RichMcGuire
07-30-2007, 12:41 AM
More than likely a fast food meal is going to be around 1000 calories, more if you drink a big soda. If they're cutting, it's out of the question. You can't consume half or a third of your calories from fast food on a cut on a daily basis. If they're bulking, I still wouldn't advise them to do it. When I said a cheat meal everyday could be possible, I didn't mean a 1000 calorie meal. We're trying to make generalizations, which is always bad. However, if we are going to make one, I'm still sticking to the cleaner you eat, the better off you are.

So if I were cutting, I'd still have another 2000 calories to eat yet for the day. Doesnt seem to be too big of a problem. Remember a biological law..If you drop calories, you WILL lose weight. Its that simple.

Now of course, as I did say, I would not advise it to people either. For one thing, its helpful to reduce carbohydrates and raise fat to make your body more willing to use fat as energy. And of course, this would also mean that protein would also be elevated. This, obviously, is why some people only eat carbohydrates before and after a workout when cutting.

I agree with the general rule.. The cleaner you eat, the better off you are. A life built around unhealthy food can cause health problems..but at the same time, I think its pretty clear they can be used for body composition without regard to overall health.

motoko013
07-30-2007, 01:16 AM
i eat it sometimes...but try to avoid it...it's hard when you're broke and food only costs a buck

Mad Max
07-30-2007, 05:02 AM
I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but does anyone take into consideration the role of carbs whilst bulking? Given the overall success and popularity of carb manipulation (carb restriction, carb cycling etc) on a cut, do carbs not also play a vital role in optimisng bulking? Should we mix carbs and fats or not for example? Are we to worry about insuling sensitivity on a bulk etc?
I would speculate, as a layman, that these things probably do have an impact, but for most people, trying to manage your macros so tightly is a practical impossibility when trying to consume 4500 cals a day.
So a clean bulk would be:

1.Not going too far over maintenance calories.

2.Ensuring, obviously that you are getting enough fat and protein, eg not simply 4000 cals of sugar.

3.If you can be bothered, managing your carb intake to effectively manipulate the levels of hormones, especially insulin.

Does that sound about right?

BBB
07-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't eat fast food. I don't even like it. Tastes like crap. Besides which, Iv'e seen "Supersize Me" - and um, no thanks.

If I'm going to have a burger - I want a REAL burger. Actually off a grill, made with egg and Worcestershire sauce - with blue cheese in the center, and fresh lettuce, tomato and red onion - some hot and spice brown mustard.

Unholy
07-30-2007, 08:54 AM
I completely agree. When I comment on someone's pic thread when they're starting here, I'll only tell them they need to bulk if I honestly feel it would be for the best and I would NEVER advocate a dirty bulk.

Sometimes guys will come to this site, who honestly look good already, and a whole bunch of people (who are almost always fat, for what it's worth) will tell them they look like a starving African or that they need to start eating whatever they can get their hands on. I hate to see guys listen to that crap and end up looking worse off after putting in a **** load of work. In truth, most of the fat guys who makes these kinda comments would kill to have the same build. Is it a jealousy thing? I don't know.

But whatever. A dirty bulk is not the way to go. Save your bad calories for going out and drinking occasionally.

I told one 6'2" 140lb ****** he looks like a starving Ethiopian, sue me.

Chubrock
07-30-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't eat fast food. I don't even like it. Tastes like crap. Besides which, Iv'e seen "Supersize Me" - and um, no thanks.

If I'm going to have a burger - I want a REAL burger. Actually off a grill, made with egg and Worcestershire sauce - with blue cheese in the center, and fresh lettuce, tomato and red onion - some hot and spice brown mustard.

Do you really not have burgers that often? Hell I eat hamburger every single day haha.

BBB
07-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Do you really not have burgers that often? Hell I eat hamburger every single day haha.

No. I eat a burger maybe once every two months.

235orbust
07-30-2007, 12:26 PM

jeez id hate to see you on a bulk. A little trick ive learned when i go to mcdonalds is to ask for your meat well done. This will take off about 70 cals a pattie, and makes it almost as healthy as the burgers you put on your grill. plus they taste better

MrWebb78
07-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Besides which, Iv'e seen "Supersize Me" - and um, no thanks.

fell for the propoganda eh?

BBB
07-30-2007, 12:40 PM
fell for the propoganda eh?

Yeah, you go eat McD's 24/7 and see if the same ***** doesn't happen to you.

I stopped eating fast food about 7 years ago - I didn't need any "propagana" to tell me it's nasty and bad for me. I figured that out all on my own.

Granted, no one actually (I hope) eats like that ALL of the time, but still. Disgusting.

Bako Lifter
07-30-2007, 12:42 PM
A double cheeseburger a day does a body good.

During the school year I'll eat donuts, McDonalds, something from 7-11, all right before I workout.

How come I had a sub 10% body fat? I'm at like 11% right now, but I've dirty bulked my way to an 11lb gain in 3 weeks.

MrWebb78
07-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah, you go eat McD's 24/7 and see if the same ***** doesn't happen to you.

I have, and I didn't. But I guess since I wasn't in a movie it didn't really happen. Cause what's on TV is what's really true.

MrWebb78
07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
How come I had a sub 10% body fat? I'm at like 11% right now, but I've dirty bulked my way to an 11lb gain in 3 weeks.

Good genes would be a logical assumption.

SpecialK
07-30-2007, 02:04 PM

During the school year I'll eat donuts, McDonalds, something from 7-11, all right before I workout.

What method did you use to measure that 11%?

BBB
07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Right - you ate MickyD's morning noon and night for a month and nothing happened to you. B.S. I suppose you went to the Dr. and have blood work taken while you did it.

Questor
07-30-2007, 02:48 PM
+1 for mcd's during a bulk.

But I'm a freak and I take half the bun off. omg, carbs! lol.

Bako Lifter
07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
What method did you use to measure that 11%?

Calipers. And my bathroom mirror.

redFury
07-30-2007, 02:59 PM

For those of you that watched Supersize me... Bako must have genetics like that guy who looked like a hippie but would pound two big macs a day. :D

Bako Lifter
07-30-2007, 03:02 PM
For those of you that watched Supersize me... Bako must have genetics like that guy who looked like a hippie but would pound two big macs a day. :D

Lol, I guess so.

After about a week it looks like a fast food bomb exploded in my car.

MrWebb78
07-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Right - you ate MickyD's morning noon and night for a month and nothing happened to you. B.S. I suppose you went to the Dr. and have blood work taken while you did it.

See, it wasn't on TV so you won't believe it no matter what.

cphafner
07-30-2007, 03:59 PM
I got a secret for all of you...

Quiznos is the answer!! ..I use to manage a quiznos and I assure you that there meat and veggies is quality product...It's fresh cut everyday and not sent in bags like subways veggies an meat...

The mesquite chicken with bacon has 1300 cals...wit 82 grams of protein
White bread, tomatoes, onion, lettuce, bacon, 9 oz. of chicken, ranch

Black Angus has 1700 cals...with 119 grams of protien
Smoked sauce, with white onions, mushrooms, 9. oz of fresh cut angus steak and bannana peppers....

bam the awnser has come

Sandwhich meats are also normally crap and full of sodium. Bam the answer is not right.

Eating McD's is fine as long as it's a cheat meal. I wouldn't build a diet around it.

HahnB
07-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Abut I've dirty bulked my way to an 11lb gain in 3 weeks.

I'm just curious, exactly how much of that 11lbs do you actually believe is muscle?

Chris686
07-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Um... You made quite the generalization.

RichMcGuire
07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
^^

Yea. If you eat cheap, like I did today, I had a double cheese burger and a small fry with a coffee from the value menu..

That only comes to about 690 calories.

Its all about calorie manipulation. Fat doesnt make you fat.

HahnB
07-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Um... You made quite the generalization.

A generalization that a lot of world class athletes follow, as well as the majority of the best body builders in the world. The opposing generalization is that it's ok to frequent fast food restaurants on a daily basis while trying to attain a great physique. I'll take mine.

RichMcGuire
07-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Many of those world class bodybuilders are also under the impression that you can "tone" muscles up..shape em.. spot reduce fat, etc.

Body composition is different than overall health.

So whats more dangerous.. McDonalds now and then or Steroids... ;)

Unholy
07-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Obviously broccoli.

HahnB
07-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Many of those world class bodybuilders are also under the impression that you can "tone" muscles up..shape em.. spot reduce fat, etc.

Body composition is different than overall health.

So whats more dangerous.. McDonalds now and then or Steroids... ;)

The argument isn't about "now and then". Do you I really need to quote you again where you were referring to eating it everyday?

Questor
07-31-2007, 11:46 AM
I just ate a double cheeseburger. It was 14% of my calorie intake today. If I eat another two this week, I'd have gained a terrifying 6% of my calorie intake from mcds.

My only complaint is that I know I'm going to be hungry again here in a few hours and all I have to eat are fiber twigs and peanut butter.

samj
07-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Dont worry your 168lbs

Chubrock
07-31-2007, 12:38 PM
And you're 17. You're not in any place to make cutting remarks.

Bako Lifter
07-31-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm just curious, exactly how much of that 11lbs do you actually believe is muscle?

About 2.... and a 1/2 maybe.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
I dirty bulked a full year and got a **** load stronger and put on 40 or more lbs of muscle. However I also gained some sick amount of fat. I just moved my carbs to breakfast and post workout and kept on trucken.

If I didnt use carb timing every now and then I would be alot fatter but since I did I only put on 15-17ish lbs of fat. But I started when I was chubby....

Bako Lifter
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
I dirty bulked a full year and got a **** load stronger and put on 40 or more lbs of muscle. However I also gained some sick amount of fat. I just moved my carbs to breakfast and post workout and kept on trucken.

If I didnt use carb timing every now and then I would be alot fatter but since I did I only put on 15-17ish lbs of fat. But I started when I was chubby....

No you didn't. Unless you were on a buttload of steroids..... no, still woudn't be very possible.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
No you didn't. Unless you were on a buttload of steroids..... no, still woudn't be very possible.

I have a 1 year detailed log with before and after pics.

And Im not even old enough to get steroids much less be stupid enough to use them... at my current age.

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
I've been bulking, relatively dirty, since i weighed 150, which was at the beginning of grade 11. I'm 170 now and sitting around 15% BF, probably even a bit lower now because i'm dieting... Now I haven't always been the most consistent, especially when it comes to eating meals every few hours throughout the day, keeping my calories high enough, and sleeping properly. I can believe that Leeman gained 40 lbs in a year. Not very probable that it was 40 lbs of muscle, but on paper, 40 lbs of muscle is very possible. 1lb per week is reasonable to gain on a bulk, so logically one could gain a solid 52 lbs throughout a year if they were spot on with every aspect of their training. So Leeman, you could very well be telling the truth, i would love to see the log and the before and after pics though, do you have a link?

Questor
07-31-2007, 02:13 PM
It's always inspiring to see little guys turned monsters. I agree, lets see some pics! Wish I could gain 40 lbs muscle. Shoot, I'd like to be 5% bf too.

Unholy
07-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Yea bro, 40lbs in 52 weeks natty is hard to believe, you probably gained more fat than you think.

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah to gain that much your training would have to be ******edly(new word) perfect, and at 16 that would be nearly impossible, there is too many distractions. Also i would think you would need coaches, trainers, dieticians, the whole works to keep you in line. I'm still not calling BS, just very hard to believe.

Whitebread
07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Yea bro, 40lbs in 52 weeks natty is hard to believe, you probably gained more fat than you think.

Yeah, most articles I have read claim greater than 20 pounds of lean mass gain (including glycogen) is impossible without anabolics.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 02:29 PM
I've been bulking, relatively dirty, since i weighed 150, which was at the beginning of grade 11. I'm 170 now and sitting around 15% BF, probably even a bit lower now because i'm dieting... Now I haven't always been the most consistent, especially when it comes to eating meals every few hours throughout the day, keeping my calories high enough, and sleeping properly. I can believe that Leeman gained 40 lbs in a year. Not very probable that it was 40 lbs of muscle, but on paper, 40 lbs of muscle is very possible. 1lb per week is reasonable to gain on a bulk, so logically one could gain a solid 52 lbs throughout a year if they were spot on with every aspect of their training. So Leeman, you could very well be telling the truth, i would love to see the log and the before and after pics though, do you have a link?

I havent posted 10 times so I cant post the link.... I wasnt spot on with any aspect of my training. I just tryed to improve my squat bench and deadlift as much as posible.

I ended up putting around 300 on my box squat around 250 on my dead and takeing my bench from 210 with a bounce to 335x2x1 with a pause.

I trained drasticly different that most people so I would give that the credit for the gains, that and I ate what ever I wanted.

h t t p : / / w w w . t - n a t i o n . c o m / t m a g n u m / r e a d T o p i c . d o ? i d = 1 1 8 9 5 2 4 & p a g e N o = 2 7

spaced out because I havent posted 10 times yet...

Pics are in my profile gotta register to see em.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 02:32 PM

Perrhaps. I took my pumped arm measurements and put 2" on them cold.
put around 3" on my waist and legs got about 4" bigger I belive.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah, most articles I have read claim greater than 20 pounds of lean mass gain (including glycogen) is impossible without anabolics.

lol.

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 02:36 PM
^ yeah lol for sure.

Bako Lifter
07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
lol.

What's so funny? The body can only produce .5 lbs of muscle a week.

Which comes out to 26 lbs of muscle in a year...

Leeman
07-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah to gain that much your training would have to be ******edly(new word) perfect, and at 16 that would be nearly impossible, there is too many distractions. Also i would think you would need coaches, trainers, dieticians, the whole works to keep you in line. I'm still not calling BS, just very hard to believe.

I dont have distractions man, jsut school and unlimited free time with unlimited food and gym access.

I read 1000's of articles by coaches and trainers so that could be it. Im on the computer alot....

I think 16-18 would be the easiest time to get big got alot of testosterone and your still growing. Plus like I said I train differently than alot of people. I found out what suits me as far as training for the Big 3 and as I got stronger I got bigger.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 02:47 PM

Ok,

But thats not 20 and he was saying that alot of articels say more than 20 invloves steroids. Wich I found funny...

Do these studys cant take everything into account? Age, experience level, diet, type of training, ammount of natural test,

I am definatley not the only person to break the 1 year 26lb mark naturaly...

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 02:54 PM
^agreed. I know for sure if i was more consistent over the last year i would have gained alot more weight than i did. I never even thought about how i ate until i came to this forum. I just ate w.e i wanted plus a few protein shakes and that was that: i gained 20 lbs, and only went up about 3% in BF. Also I'm pretty sure the body can produce about 1lb of LBM a week, however this would vary from person to person. Someone with insane genetics mgiht be able to gain 1.5lbs a week in their first year ever. Look at guys like Trey Brewer, at 18 he was near 300 lbs, i gauruntee he gained over 26 lbs in one year at some point.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 03:02 PM
^agreed. I know for sure if i was more consistent over the last year i would have gained alot more weight than i did. I never even thought about how i ate until i came to this forum. I just ate w.e i wanted plus a few protein shakes and that was that: i gained 20 lbs, and only went up about 3% in BF. Also I'm pretty sure the body can produce about 1lb of LBM a week, however this would vary from person to person. Someone with insane genetics mgiht be able to gain 1.5lbs a week in their first year ever. Look at guys like Trey Brewer, at 18 he was near 300 lbs, i gauruntee he gained over 26 lbs in one year at some point.

Yeah I belive that was when he was powerlifting. He has the thickest spinal erectors I have ever seen.

IZich
07-31-2007, 03:06 PM

Have I been under a rock for years, or when did this become an accepted value? Bako do you have any support for the .5 lb muscle-a-week max?

Unholy
07-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Trey brewer consumes a gram of test for breakfast every day.

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 03:09 PM
LOL yupp lunch is all HGH.... look at his hands hahaha that guys a mess, he's one of my two favourite BBers though, along with Frank Mcgrath.

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah I belive that was when he was powerlifting. He has the thickest spinal erectors I have ever seen.

Yeah it was, and Jesus Christ his spinal erectors are wild. They look like telephone poles.

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah i just looked at your pics on Tnation. Definately huuuge gains in muscle, i still don't think it was 40 lbs worth, but good job either way.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 03:15 PM
LOL yupp lunch is all HGH.... look at his hands hahaha that guys a mess, he's one of my two favourite BBers though, along with Frank Mcgrath.

So thats what thats from...

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 03:21 PM
lol yeah, its funny because he makes a joke about them in the video of him on youtube, and he says its from all the heavy lifting, i doubt he even knows it's one of the side effects of HGH.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah i just looked at your pics on Tnation. Definately huuuge gains in muscle, i still don't think it was 40 lbs worth, but good job either way.

Thanks, I didnt have my bodyfat tested or anything when I first started the log.

When i lose 4-5lbs I drop a inch off my waist so I assume if I gain 60lbs and put 3inches on my waist that I put on about 40+lbs of muscle.

I know I could get down to 240+ with the same waist size I had at 200 but I guess that dosent mean it was all lean mass I could have put on fat some where else.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 03:32 PM
lol yeah, its funny because he makes a joke about them in the video of him on youtube, and he says its from all the heavy lifting, i doubt he even knows it's one of the side effects of HGH.

Yeah I saw that one, its to bad hes useing all that stuff but at least hes going places because of it. When ronnie and jaycutlers time are over Im gonna bet he will be right up there comeing in ripped at 300+lbs.

Plus hes doing what he loves no doubt.

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah i can see Mr. Olympia in his future. You gotta remember he's only 21 years old. His legs own tons of pro's already, and his upper body is not far behind. It is too bad that he has to take all that ****, but thats the way pro body building is. Its all about being a mass monster no one gives a **** about the Franco Columbo's, Arnold's or anyone else with an aesthetically pleasing body.

Bako Lifter
07-31-2007, 03:45 PM
This thread has been officialy hi-jacked.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah i can see Mr. Olympia in his future. You gotta remember he's only 21 years old. His legs own tons of pro's already, and his upper body is not far behind. It is too bad that he has to take all that ****, but thats the way pro body building is. Its all about being a mass monster no one gives a **** about the Franco Columbo's, Arnold's or anyone else with an aesthetically pleasing body.

True, I saw a recent pic of jaycutler, he is bigger than ever and seems to be looking alot more balanced.

http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1600960&pageNo=1

Pics are down the page.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 03:54 PM
This thread has been officialy hi-jacked.

Your right.

Case and point, alot of people eat mcdonalds while they are bulking and cutting but they usualy dont have it planned in advance.

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 03:58 PM
lol its funny because i really contributed in high jacking this thread, when all i really wanted to say when i first clicked on it was Lee Priest eats Mcdonalds when bulking, and he looks like a normal american fat ass.

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Also, i eat Mcdonalds when bulking. I try not to eat Mcgriddles, Fries, Mcflurries or anything like that. But i love QP's, Double Qp's, Big Macs, Double Big Macs, McChickens, Junior Chickens, Bacon Double Cheeseburgers, Grilled Chickens... you get the point.

Mad Max
07-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Why do we seem to think that all the advice given about cardio vascular health and diet does not apply to us because we deadlift once a week?

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 04:51 PM
... who doesn't think diet applies to them? I'm pretty sure 80% of this forum preaches that diet is the most important aspect of training. Nobody eats Mcdonalds everyday, just once in a while.

RhodeHouse
07-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Eat some McDonald's! It won't kill you. Dave Tate ate it everyday almost 3 times a day for 13 years before he had any problems. I don't recommend that, but it won't kill you. If you're working out hard your body will be able to metabolize it just fine.

If you're just using it to gain weight, it works great. You're only using it for a few weeks or maybe a 2-3 months. It won't kill you. If you're worried about McD's killing you, you might also consider giving up your driver's licence and start working from home. That'll ensure you don't get killed in a car accident or step off the curb and get hit by a bus.

My favorite combo is the #1, with 10 McNuggets, and a large shake, or, the Double QPC instaed of the Big Mac.

Gabrielle
07-31-2007, 05:58 PM
every once in a while I eat out, but I never eat McDonalds not even on a bulk. With all the good burger restaurants, why would I?

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Why when you can get a Baconator at Wendy's is my only question

SpecialK
07-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Eat some McDonald's! It won't kill you. Dave Tate ate it everyday almost 3 times a day for 13 years before he had any problems. I don't recommend that, but it won't kill you. If you're working out hard your body will be able to metabolize it just fine.

If you're just using it to gain weight, it works great. You're only using it for a few weeks or maybe a 2-3 months. It won't kill you. If you're worried about McD's killing you, you might also consider giving up your driver's licence and start working from home. That'll ensure you don't get killed in a car accident or step off the curb and get hit by a bus.

My favorite combo is the #1, with 10 McNuggets, and a large shake, or, the Double QPC instaed of the Big Mac.

First of all, I don't think working out will simply "cancel out" all the trans fats and other bad crap you would be ingesting from eating something like McD's everyday.

Second, your analogy about not driving is terribly flawed. Everyone NEEDS to drive (or ride a bus, or a bike, or something) to earn a living and perform daily tasks. You don't NEED to eat unhealthy food.

Bako Lifter
07-31-2007, 07:35 PM

+1 :thumbup:

MrWebb78
07-31-2007, 07:37 PM
every once in a while I eat out, but I never eat McDonalds not even on a bulk. With all the good burger restaurants, why would I?

because it's .99 cents - 2.99 and takes 2 minutes. instead of 8.99-13.99 and taking 30 minutes.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 07:54 PM
First of all, I don't think working out will simply "cancel out" all the trans fats and other bad crap you would be ingesting from eating something like McD's everyday.

Second, your analogy about not driving is terribly flawed. Everyone NEEDS to drive (or ride a bus, or a bike, or something) to earn a living and perform daily tasks. You don't NEED to eat unhealthy food.

His analogy makes perfect sence your way more likley to die in a car accident than eating mcdonalds.

I assume you picked the most safe car on the market to prevent a fatal car accident?

I cant see the purpose in avoiding mcdonalds if your going to willing do other dangerous things without doing everything you can to keep safe and healthy.

HahnB
07-31-2007, 08:41 PM
His analogy makes perfect sence your way more likley to die in a car accident than eating mcdonalds.

So what? His point is that you need to drive, you don't need to eat ****ty food.

The bottom line is that eating healthy has benefits, eating unhealthy does not. What more of a reason does anyone in this thread need? If you choose to bulk with mostly crappy food, it will more than likely be reflected in your physique. It's your choice. If you want an average body, eat like the average person. Bulking isn't about adding as much weight as possible, fat people do that. It's about adding weight while remaining as lean as possible.

SpecialK
07-31-2007, 08:51 PM

I assume you picked the most safe car on the market to prevent a fatal car accident?

I cant see the purpose in avoiding mcdonalds if your going to willing do other dangerous things without doing everything you can to keep safe and healthy.

His analogy does NOT make perfect sense, since driving is a necessary activity for daily life, whereas eating healthy food is not. You NEED to drive, but you don't NEED to eat unhealthy food.

Everyone decides for themselves whether the risk of a certain activity is worth the potential reward. Just because someone avoids unhealthy food doesn't mean they won't do something else that might be considered risky by others. I know people who smoke all the time, but won't touch alcohol. I also know people who drink all the time, but won't ever smoke. Everyone makes their own decision.

There are many people out there who think we are putting our bodies at an unnecessary risk by lifting hundreds of pounds, and avoid that activity. I personally believe the rewards outweigh the risks, so I choose to lift weights.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 08:54 PM
So what? His point is that you need to drive, you don't need to eat ****ty food.

Im not the one who said it.

The bottom line is that eating healthy has benefits, eating unhealthy does not. What more of a reason does anyone in this thread need? If you choose to bulk with mostly crappy food, it will more than likely be reflected in your physique. It's your choice. If you want an average body, eat like the average person. Bulking isn't about adding as much weight as possible, fat people do that. It's about adding weight while remaining as lean as possible.

I and many people find it is easier to get enough calories, better tatseing calories, cheaper calories by eating unhealthy foods. Those are some pretty good benefits for someone looking to get big and strong.

Other wise no one would dirty bulk.

As far as adding weight while staying as lean as posible thats not what its about. If that is what its about then people would bulk 1/8th of a lb a week and gain no fat.

EDIT unhealthy food is also very convenient wich is another huge benefit to dirty bulking.

So suming it up convenience, taste, fast calories, alot of protein, You all get my point.

Bako Lifter
07-31-2007, 08:54 PM
If you choose to bulk with mostly crappy food, it will more than likely be reflected in your physique. It's your choice. If you want an average body, eat like the average person. Bulking isn't about adding as much weight as possible, fat people do that. It's about adding weight while remaining as lean as possible.

It's not reflected in mine. I'm lean and I have abs. That's what most people want.

Bulking isn't about adding as much weight as possible, fat people do that. It's about adding weight while remaining as lean as possible.

This is how the term "dirty bulk" was created. Some people actually want to put on as much weight as possible and don't really give a crap about gaining some fat. People like me. All's I want is pounds, I don't care what form they come in.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Everyone decides for themselves whether the risk of a certain activity is worth the potential reward. Just because someone avoids unhealthy food doesn't mean they won't do something else that might be considered risky by others.

Very good point.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 09:14 PM
It's not reflected in mine. I'm lean and I have abs. That's what most people want.

This is how the term "dirty bulk" was created. Some people actually want to put on as much weight as possible and don't really give a crap about gaining some fat. People like me. All's I want is pounds, I don't care what form they come in.

I dirty bulk but I dont "try" to add fat. You can bulk with your diet involveing dohnuts fast food etc without gaining anymore fat than a clean bulker. It just involves when and how much food you eat. As it does with anykind of bulking.

Alex.V
07-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Damn, everybody is so black and white on this issue. Fast food isn't good for you, but in moderation it won't kill you. A burger can have the same macros as a steak and brown rice, and if you're dousing the steak in salt, it'll even have the same sodium levels.

Plug a double quarter pounder with cheese into fitday, get the rest of the calories from "clean" foods, and the breakdown will probably look just fine, even on the micronutrient level.

Donuts are great pre-workout food. No worse than a powerbar and some peanut butter. Saturated fat isn't the devil, and people need to stop worrying so damn much about trans fat in prepared food. Trans fats will kill you in the condiment aisle of the supermarket, but probably aren't present in your whopper. And not in your Jif either, not to any recognizable extent.

Anyway. Whatever. People have already made up their minds on this.

Leeman
07-31-2007, 09:29 PM
^ You basicaly just put into words exactly how I feel about bulking.

But people consider that dirty bulking, Its to bad that such B.S has tagged come along with the phrase dirty bulking.

HahnB
07-31-2007, 10:18 PM
As far as adding weight while staying as lean as posible thats not what its about. If that is what its about then people would bulk 1/8th of a lb a week and gain no fat.

If you have a horrific diet and put on 70% fat, which more people do than you think, by the time you cut that weight off, you may have been better gaining that 1/8th of a lb a week, but I'm thinking more like a 1/2lb. I prefer being as efficient as possible. Eating primarily junk food in large amounts and putting on a 4 to 1 ratio of fat to muscle doesn't appeal much to me.

If source of calories doesn't matter, why do so many Olympic and other world class athletes follow such a strict diet? Do the best trainers/dietitians in the world have no idea what they're doing? It does matter, to SOME degree. How large of a degree is debatable. In my opinion, the degree is large enough to warrant a diet consisting of most healthy foods, with a few cheat meals a week.

1)Benefits of eating healthy>Benefits of eating unhealthy

2)It's not that hard to eat healthy

That's about all I need to make my decision.

Curtis
08-01-2007, 05:05 AM
well if we agree mcdonalds is bad for your body and not bulking, wouldnt it make sense to say dont eat mcdonalds

the whole point in a new body from building is to look good and feel good, and im sure if you had liver problems and any other symptoms from mcdonalds use over and over again it wouldnt b a good thing

RichMcGuire
08-01-2007, 08:43 AM
The argument isn't about "now and then". Do you I really need to quote you again where you were referring to eating it everyday?

Okay, someone could have a double cheeseburger and a small fry everyday on the way to college.

Lets see.. 2 bucks and 690 calories. Youre right, hes going to blow up like a baloon!

HahnB
08-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Okay, someone could have a double cheeseburger and a small fry everyday on the way to college.

Lets see.. 2 bucks and 690 calories. Youre right, hes going to blow up like a baloon!

How many guys do you think that are preparing for a contest eat a double cheese burger and fries everday? Why not? BECAUSE IT'S NOT OPTIMAL. Saying that the source of your calories doesn't play into fat loss is ridiculous.

There are better foods to eat if you're trying to attain a great physique. If you want an average body, just eat like everyone else.

Leeman
08-01-2007, 09:10 AM
If you have a horrific diet and put on 70% fat, which more people do than you think, by the time you cut that weight off, you may have been better gaining that 1/8th of a lb a week, but I'm thinking more like a 1/2lb. I prefer being as efficient as possible. Eating primarily junk food in large amounts and putting on a 4 to 1 ratio of fat to muscle doesn't appeal much to me.

If source of calories doesn't matter, why do so many Olympic and other world class athletes follow such a strict diet? Do the best trainers/dietitians in the world have no idea what they're doing? It does matter, to SOME degree. How large of a degree is debatable. In my opinion, the degree is large enough to warrant a diet consisting of most healthy foods, with a few cheat meals a week.

1)Benefits of eating healthy>Benefits of eating unhealthy

2)It's not that hard to eat healthy

That's about all I need to make my decision.

Who says you need to put on 70% fat?

You assume because I have some junk food in my diet that I must also be gaining weight 8 times as fast as you?

Like I said before you can dirty bulk and put on just as much muscle as a clean bulker. The only way you will gain excess fat is by eating to much at the wrong times.

Not the food you eat, how much and when you eat it.

Leeman
08-01-2007, 09:15 AM
How many guys do you think that are preparing for a contest eat a double cheese burger and fries everday? Why not? BECAUSE IT'S NOT OPTIMAL. Saying that the source of your calories doesn't play into fat loss is ridiculous.

There are better foods to eat if you're trying to attain a great physique. If you want an average body, just eat like everyone else.

If you would notice when prepareing for a contest they also cut out alot of clean food, because they arent optimal either.

If cheese burgers fit into thier protein carb and calorie needs you had better belive they would be eating them when prepareing for a contest.

Besides were talking about bulking here not cutting, also when prepareing for a contest you better belive alot of people eat junk food. Instead of calling it dirty bulking they refer to it as a cheat meal or a carb up.

Leeman
08-01-2007, 09:22 AM
well if we agree mcdonalds is bad for your body and not bulking, wouldnt it make sense to say dont eat mcdonalds

the whole point in a new body from building is to look good and feel good, and im sure if you had liver problems and any other symptoms from mcdonalds use over and over again it wouldnt b a good thing

I dont have liver problems and I eat fast food. As far as looking good goes I and alot of people want to look huge. If getting a little fat will take months and years off the time frame then its worth it.

Have to look at the big picture.

MrWebb78
08-01-2007, 09:28 AM
lol @ "symptoms from mcdonalds use".

sharkall2003
08-01-2007, 10:20 AM

I'd just quit arguing with everyone. We all know that the way to bulk is to eat everything in site. I mean, this is coming from many a people (not all though) that have just started lifting, have their newby gains, and think their **** doesn't stink and they have the best genetics out there. Go figure. They can gain 25 lbs of muscle like nothing in a year. Hahahaha. Just hearing that made me understand some of the people in this thread don't know how to be healthy and gain a little weight.

RichMcGuire
08-01-2007, 01:33 PM

Dont be so dense. No one is saying its the most optimal way to go. But its fine on a bulk. I think you should search around and find out exactly what a macro is. If you had a double cheeseburger and a small fry and then planned the rest of the day around with good food (to hit your macro goals) its the same thing as if you had eatin all healthy food with the same macros. It doesnt feel like you understand what roles calories and macros play in the body.

What plays into fat loss macro wise could be something like decreasing carbs and increasing fat/protein. Or say not having fat with your protein after a workout because its not digested as quickly and can blunt GH. But I stated that earlier.

RichMcGuire
08-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I'd just quit arguing with everyone. We all know that the way to bulk is to eat everything in site. I mean, this is coming from many a people (not all though) that have just started lifting, have their newby gains, and think their **** doesn't stink and they have the best genetics out there. Go figure. They can gain 25 lbs of muscle like nothing in a year. Hahahaha. Just hearing that made me understand some of the people in this thread don't know how to be healthy and gain a little weight.

Being healthy is a different story. Body composition is quite different than overall health. I guess many people dont understand this :windup:

A little saturated fat isnt going to kill you. Like Belial said, a Donut is a great pre-workout snack.

Unholy
08-01-2007, 01:41 PM
A little saturated fat isnt going to kill you. Like Belial said, a Doughnut is a great pre-workout snack.

Exactly a little bit off anything won't kill you, well maybe with the exception of AIDS but thats a different story. Belial knows what he is talking about, he himself on many occasions mentioned the fact that he used to be obsessed with the details of his diet, only to realize that the minute details really do not make a difference. :bang:

HahnB
08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
No one is saying its the most optimal way to go.

Great, so that's all I wanted to hear from you. You're admitting that you're choosing a route that isn't the most optimal way to go.

If you had a double cheeseburger and a small fry and then planned the rest of the day around with good food (to hit your macro goals) its the same thing as if you had eatin all healthy food with the same macros.

Your theory is unrealistic and irrelevant. It's filled with ifs and buts. If you could build a great diet around Mcdonalds it could work, so what? If I could fly I could avoid traffic, big deal. It's not going to happen. If someone is cutting and consuming 1500 calories a day, they can't afford to spare 75% of their calories in one meal. It's completely impractical.

I guess I'm done with this thread now, I have nothing else to say. You've already admitted it isn't the optimal route. You've also proven that you know more than the highest qualified nutritionists in the world that the best athletes consult. They've been doing it wrong for the last 5 decades or so. What a bunch of fools!

Chubrock
08-01-2007, 02:34 PM
You could structure a 1500 calorie diet with a McD's double cheeseburger in it.

Meal 1:

2 Scoops Nitrean in water
1oz Peanuts

Meal 2:

Meal 3:

Double Cheeseburger
2 Cups Green Beans

Meal 4:

Scoop of Nitrean
1oz of Peanuts

Totals:

~1500 cal, 163g P/ 76g C/ 61g F

It can be done. If you like Nitrean, it wouldn't be that bad lol.

MrWebb78
08-01-2007, 04:11 PM
omg I'd be starving all day

Leeman
08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
You could structure a 1500 calorie diet with a McD's double cheeseburger in it.

Meal 1:

1oz Peanuts

Meal 2:

Meal 3:

Double Cheeseburger
2 Cups Green Beans

Meal 4:

Scoop of Nitrean
1oz of Peanuts

Totals:

~1500 cal, 163g P/ 76g C/ 61g F

It can be done. If you like Nitrean, it wouldn't be that bad lol.

WOW WOW WOW!

Do you mind? Some of us are trying to pretend that by eating mcdonalds you have to be gaining a **** load of fat.

You are makeing it almost imposible for people to use this as a excuse not to dirty bulk.

Now everyone is going to have to wait until this page is over so they can pretend they didnt see this and keep useing it as a excuse.

HahnB
08-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Now people have gone from saying a "Mcdonalds MEAL", to a burger. That isn't a meal. The more the argument goes on, the amount of fast food people are claiming you can include gets smaller and smaller...how convenient.

Gabrielle
08-01-2007, 04:42 PM
I guess I am one of the few who really dislikes Mcdonalds, but their fries aren't half bad.

Chubrock
08-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Now people have gone from saying a "Mcdonalds MEAL", to a burger. That isn't a meal. The more the argument goes on, the amount of fast food people are claiming you can include gets smaller and smaller...how convenient.

I posted when we were all talking about eating McDs on a bulk. Ya'll turned this into eating it on a cut. I just wanted to prove that you could indeed fit a double cheeseburger in on a calorie restricted diet.

Chubrock
08-01-2007, 05:10 PM
omg I'd be starving all day

Haha for sure. Of course I'd be starving all day on 1500 calories, regardless.

Leeman
08-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Ok Lets say I eat 4500 calories a day thats a good number, so take that meal plan x3 now I eat 3 burgers. Thats a meal to me.

Now if 4500 was my maintenance then I wouldnt gain any fat. Unless or course I went out of my way to eat right before bed or something like that.

However if it was 1500 more than my maintenance it wouldnt matter if it was clean food or not Id gain fat.

Leeman
08-01-2007, 06:06 PM
I posted when we were all talking about eating McDs on a bulk. Ya'll turned this into eating it on a cut. I just wanted to prove that you could indeed fit a double cheeseburger in on a calorie restricted diet.

Yeah and 1500 is very very very low calorie cutting.

Unholy
08-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Now if 4500 was my maintenance then I wouldnt gain any fat. Unless or course I went out of my way to eat right before bed or something like that.

You are proving your terrible understanding of nutrition.

RhodeHouse
08-01-2007, 06:07 PM
My question is, why does McDonald's have such a bad reputation? I'm assuming that everyone knows who Svend Karlsen is. I've met Svend. He has a SPONSORSHIP with McDonald's. He eats there once a day. He looks really fat, doesn't he? Every strength athlete that I know, eats at McDonald's. Most of them are jacked. Not bodybuilder ripped, but just plain big - NOT FAT. I don't recommend it as a habit, but it's a TOOL to get where you want to go if you're having trouble gaining the weight. In my experience, I ate McD's for a month staright, everyday before a contest. i weighed in at 307 with 12.5% BF. BTW - I don't even care what my BF is. Why was it so low? I'm not sure. My guess is, I work my ass off in the gym. That terrible, awful, gross food helped me squat 926. Hmmmm? As always, it's up to the individual. If you're against McD's, don't eat it. That's cool. I don't care either way. All I know, is it's been on my training table, since I was a kid. (I hope someone got that reference) Happy lifting. SFW!

Unholy
08-01-2007, 06:10 PM
You had a 6 pack at 307lbs?:confused:

SpecialK
08-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Exactly a little bit off anything won't kill you, well maybe with the exception of AIDS but thats a different story. Belial knows what he is talking about, he himself on many occasions mentioned the fact that he used to be obsessed with the details of his diet, only to realize that the minute details really do not make a difference. :bang:

Then why the heck do we have 100+ post debates on here about stupid stuff like whey vs. blend protein, 4 reps vs. 8 reps, P+C vs. P+F meals, etc.?

Invain
08-01-2007, 06:51 PM

:withstupi

Alex.V
08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Then why the heck do we have 100+ post debates on here about stupid stuff like whey vs. blend protein, 4 reps vs. 8 reps, P+C vs. P+F meals, etc.?

Because people spend way too much time focusing on the stupid **** that doesn't make a difference.

Leeman
08-01-2007, 07:58 PM

You are proving your terrible understanding of simple logic.

HahnB
08-01-2007, 08:37 PM
If we're talking about a whole meal, that can be upwards of 1500 calories. Lets say you're eating 2500 calories and for lunch at 11am you eat this Mcdonald's meal. You now have 1000 calories left to consume all of your required protein, fats and carbs for the day. You're going to be awfully hungry. It's probably not even possible to meet your macros at this point-and you're going to starve throughout the day.

It just doesn't make any sense. If people are talking about eating a small fry, that's a huge difference. I wouldn't even consider that a meal, and it surely wouldn't satisfy the people in this thread claiming you can eat a ton of fast food during a bulk with no worries at all.

If you're eating 4000 calories and consume a McDonald's meal, you're looking at 40-50g of fat in one meal. There goes half your fat intake for the day in one meal, and it isn't coming from olive oil. It doesn't make any sense to consume this type of food on a daily basis for a bulk or a cut.

There's actually a link on McDonald's website called "Food, Nutrition and Fitness". Talk about propaganda.

Chubrock
08-01-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't think anybody here is saying you can base your entire diet around McDonalds. I could be wrong though. I didn't bother reading some of the stuff posted on pages 1-7.

Leeman
08-01-2007, 09:40 PM
If we're talking about a whole meal, that can be upwards of 1500 calories. Lets say you're eating 2500 calories and for lunch at 11am you eat this Mcdonald's meal. You now have 1000 calories left to consume all of your required protein, fats and carbs for the day. You're going to be awfully hungry. It's probably not even possible to meet your macros at this point-and you're going to starve throughout the day.
\.

If your clean bulking and your only eating 2500 calories a day and you decide to eat 1500 of them for lunch its the same thing.

No one forces you to eat more mcdonalds than you want to. And if you willingly choose to eat so many calories in one meal that you gain alot of fat its not the foods fault its your own.

Its true there are way more efficient meals to eat than fast food as far as powerlifting, bulking ,cutting and every goal for that matter but you also have to take Time, taste, convenience, and cost into mind.

However all things created equal no one would go near fast food.

I mean cmon if brown rice steak and mixed vegitables were as tastey, convenient, fast to eat, cheap, protein and calorie packed as fast food thats what people would be eating.

Not some white bread with fatty beef and fake cheese thrown together by some greesy teenager in a small sweaty room.

Leeman.

RichMcGuire
08-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Great, so that's all I wanted to hear from you. You're admitting that you're choosing a route that isn't the most optimal way to go.

Your theory is unrealistic and irrelevant. It's filled with ifs and buts. If you could build a great diet around Mcdonalds it could work, so what? If I could fly I could avoid traffic, big deal. It's not going to happen. If someone is cutting and consuming 1500 calories a day, they can't afford to spare 75% of their calories in one meal. It's completely impractical.

I guess I'm done with this thread now, I have nothing else to say. You've already admitted it isn't the optimal route. You've also proven that you know more than the highest qualified nutritionists in the world that the best athletes consult. They've been doing it wrong for the last 5 decades or so. What a bunch of fools!

690 calories is not 75% of 1500.

All you have proven here is that you have no clue what units of energy related to calories are. Further more, you might as well say that Saturated Fat and Unsaturated fats have different levels of energy..because youre acting like one makes you fat while the other doesnt.

Keep in mind, many nutritionists believe multiple meals a day speeds up your metabolism too..so that point goes out the window.

Its pretty clear that you dont understand how carbohydrates, proteins, and fats interact with the body. Do you think your body knows the difference from the fat or protein from McDonalds anymore than it does from a steak?

At the end of the day, body composition-wise, its the macros of fats/proteins/carbohydrates and the total amount of calories.. wherever they may come from. Thats whats important. It feels like youve been ignoring the fact that a macro ratio is a macro ratio regardless of where those calories come from.

Im going to take a wild guess here and assume you dont know why Saturated fats are bad for your arteries. Let me give you a hint: It has to do with the shapes of the actual fat molecules.

The only argument you have is: McDonalds is bad for you! Yet you have nothing to back it up....its just not optimal.. You havent even seperated body composition with overall health. If youre not understanding basic stuff like this, then theres probably no point in trying to show you any of this.

RichMcGuire
08-02-2007, 01:28 AM

And your meals get bigger and bigger... hmm..

Ramstein85
08-02-2007, 08:36 AM
How thrilled are you to each a sandwich that was handed to you by a 45 year old lady with 2 missing teeth?

LOL i know man why is it that all these fast food chains employ the nastiest peeps in the world. I know they are trying to make a living its not personal but like honestly the people who are behind the counters in Mcds in London are very lol;/

Bako Lifter
08-02-2007, 08:40 AM
I just thought I'd let everyone know I'm eating two sausage egg mcgrittles. And a coke. For breakfast.

Yumm.

HahnB
08-02-2007, 11:50 AM
And your meals get bigger and bigger... hmm..

A meal consists of some type of a sandwhich, a drink and a fry. 690 calories is a complete joke. 690 calories does not constitute a meal at McDonalds.

690 calories is not 75% of 1500.

Are you trying to show me your 4th grade math skills? Because I never said that it was.

You've proven that you can't lose logic to analyze my statements. My point is that it's illogical to consume half of your calories in one meal unless you want to starve the rest of the day. Do you honestly have a hard time comprehending that?

A whole meal at Mcdonalds is so high in calories coming from fat/carbs compared to protein, you probably won't be able to meet your protein requirements for the rest of the day with the number of calories you have left.

My second point is that it's illogical to consume fast food over healthier foods because in the long run, healthier foods have more benefits than fast food. Go figure.

I'm interested in building a great physique- if you're not- then just half ass it like you're recommending that everyone else do. I've said all I have to say, there's no point to continue debating this.

RichMcGuire
08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
A meal consists of some type of a sandwhich, a drink and a fry. 690 calories is a complete joke. 690 calories does not constitute a meal at McDonalds.

Are you trying to show me your 4th grade math skills? Because I never said that it was.

You've proven that you can't lose logic to analyze my statements. My point is that it's illogical to consume half of your calories in one meal unless you want to starve the rest of the day. Do you honestly have a hard time comprehending that?

A whole meal at Mcdonalds is so high in calories coming from fat/carbs compared to protein, you probably won't be able to meet your protein requirements for the rest of the day with the number of calories you have left. With your amazing math skills I'm surprised you couldn't figure this one out.

My second point is that it's illogical to consume fast food over healthier foods because in the long run, healthier foods have more benefits than fast food. Go figure.

I'm interested in building a great physique- if you're not- then just half ass it like you're recommending that everyone else do. I've said all I have to say, there's no point to continue debating this.

Wrong. 690 calories is a double cheeseburger and a small fry from the dollar menu. Thats a meal. And guess what?? Waters free!! Woohoo!

Why cant you comprehend that you dont HAVE to consume half your calories with one meal at McDonalds? Is 690 calories from the dollar menu really half your calories? :scratch:

Lets check your 'amazing math skills'... Tell me how much fat/carbs/protein is in a double cheeseburger and a small fry. Gosh, I hope you graduated :\

The only long run benefits are overall health because of possible Trans fats. Many dont include those anymore.. Go figure.

Go ahead and try to build your 'amazing physique' and be under some very false notions. You need to re-read the title of this thread. There is not a specified amount of calories you have to order at McDonalds. I didnt realize if I went to McDonalds, I'd HAVE to order 3 double cheeseburgers and 2 large fries just to make your point valid.

In the end, I think youve proven very well that you have no background in Biology. And you dont even know what a "meal" is.. a meal could be something as simple as an apple with pb on it. A meal could be a protein bar.. or a shake.. Furthermore, you have completely ignored facts and have tried to make your point valid with illusions of having to order the biggest possible thing on the menu.

In all seriousness, youre wrong. A macro is a macro and if you can fufill your daily macro by having a double cheeseburger and a small fry, then thats perfectly fine and the same thing as getting calories any other place. :thumbup:

Questor
08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Really. What is up with this thread. LOL. Whew. Man.

Can't we all agree on, "all things in moderation".

I've read the majority of this thread, but not every post. I haven't really read anyone saying, "j00 shuld eat mcds, evury meal, evury day, it is teh mussle stuff".

The advocates I've seen of mcds say, "hey, some mcds sometimes is okay". Use it as a supplement. "man I'm low on calories today, I have no time, I have no money, I gotta EAT!". One double cheeseburger, $1, bam, you're supplemented. Just keep your macros straight.

Better that then to whine in another thread saying that, "omg im 150 lbs and i can't gain weight i can't eat teh caloriz"

RichMcGuire
08-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Really. What is up with this thread. LOL. Whew. Man.

Can't we all agree on, "all things in moderation".

I've read the majority of this thread, but not every post. I haven't really read anyone saying, "j00 shuld eat mcds, evury meal, evury day, it is teh mussle stuff".

The advocates I've seen of mcds say, "hey, some mcds sometimes is okay". Use it as a supplement. "man I'm low on calories today, I have no time, I have no money, I gotta EAT!". One double cheeseburger, $1, bam, you're supplemented. Just keep your macros straight.

Better that then to whine in another thread saying that, "omg im 150 lbs and i can't gain weight i can't eat teh caloriz"

I completely agree. It has to be in moderation to hit your macros.

You said it really well.. Its probably a silly debate in the first place. It sounds like we all agree but we are seeing it in a different perspective.

Ramstein85
08-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Les gouts et les couleurs ca ne se discute pas!!!