PDA

View Full Version : Is beer (alcohol) detrimental to muscle growth?

lowry05
07-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Two or three times a week I will drink a a six pack mostly for enjoyment, but also to help me fall asleep. Is drinking contradicting what I am trying to do in the gym?

RedSpikeyThing
07-30-2007, 11:56 AM
yes. Do a search.

Cirino83
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
yes and if you must drink to goto sleep you are heading down a path of much worse problems then being counterproductive in the gym.

MrWebb78
07-30-2007, 12:51 PM
2 or 3 times a week? You will be just fine.

Biggins
07-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I dont think its detrimental as long as you dont eat like an alki.Severe alcoholics eat very little and its mostly carb based foods as they crave it as they do the beer.Ive read that cirrhosis from alcohol can be prevented by consuming protein which repairs the liver tissue.I caqnt find where I reaqd that from though.

I drink heavily on weekends and my weights and muscle mass are growing.Ive actually had some of my best workouts 2 days after a night out.I think its due to the nature of drinking acting like a slow carb up.

Then again one or two is healthy and heavy consumption is not so be wary.3 six packs a week is alot.Try to drink on the weekends if you must.

If you cant sleep and use alcohol then try this.Works a charm for me.Eat a protein based meal 2 hrs before bed and then eat a carb based meal.The carbs will help you to make seratonin that is probably low and reason you want alcohol.

Herandi
07-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I dont think its detrimental as long as you dont eat like an alki.Severe alcoholics eat very little and its mostly carb based foods as they crave it as they do the beer.Ive read that cirrhosis from alcohol can be prevented by consuming protein which repairs the liver tissue.I caqnt find where I reaqd that from though.

I drink heavily on weekends and my weights and muscle mass are growing.Ive actually had some of my best workouts 2 days after a night out.I think its due to the nature of drinking acting like a slow carb up.

Then again one or two is healthy and heavy consumption is not so be wary.3 six packs a week is alot.Try to drink on the weekends if you must.

If you cant sleep and use alcohol then try this.Works a charm for me.Eat a protein based meal 2 hrs before bed and then eat a carb based meal.The carbs will help you to make seratonin that is probably low and reason you want alcohol.

i thought carbs before bed was counterproductive as it hinders growth and is just stored as fat...?

Hatred
07-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Yes. Use the search for the love of God.

RedSpikeyThing
07-30-2007, 06:58 PM
i thought carbs before bed was counterproductive as it hinders growth and is just stored as fat...?

as opposed to excess protein which gets mysteriously not stored as fat :windup:

Biggins
07-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Just my opinion here.As long as you get your protein needs satisfied...same as carb and fat...then a small carb meal before bed will work wonders.Sleep is soo important and this can help you sleep better and deeper than its a must.Yet its not for everyone and I am an extreme example of insomnia.If you can eat a protein meal before bed and then slip into sweet dreams then I dont think you need this as its probably better to eat protein before bed.I dun really know.

Also,carbs before bed turns to fat,to me is a myth.

Optimum08
07-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Also,carbs before bed turns to fat,to me is a myth.

well you should probably CLEARLY state that this, in fact, is your opinion and not fact that your relaying.

Optimum08
07-30-2007, 11:37 PM
to the OP: the short answer is yes, alcohol is detrimental to muscle growth. it involves protein synthesis and how alcohol decreases its efficacy thus in turn making it detrimental to muscle growth.

Al3X
07-31-2007, 07:15 AM
OP: Is that a couple six-packs in a week? The way you worded it implies that you're drinking 2-3 six-packs in a week. I'm hoping you meant 2-3 days it takes for you to drink a six-pack.

"Two or three times a week I will drink a a six pack mostly for enjoyment"

lowry05
07-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Three is a little excessive. It's more like one or two (max) nights a week I will drink 5-6 beers before I goto bed. Three would be really rare.

bigtymer
07-31-2007, 01:28 PM
If you want to drink consistently....you might want to give vodka a shot...In essence it is lesser of all alcohol evils....beer has twice as many calories as vodka..about 96 as opposed to vodka with about4 0....

If you drink vodka stay away from carbs...when you eat a cracker while drinking vodka it turns the inactive carbs active and they will raise your insulin levels....protein is OK.

However; I have heard one heavy night of drinking will set you back 3 days in the gym...I dont think its worth it even though I do it quite frequently...

Al3X
07-31-2007, 01:34 PM
bigtymer, where did you read/heard that one heavy night of drinking sets you back 3 days in the gym? How is it possible to have that answer? Can you predict who will win the World Series?

Gunshow
07-31-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't think drinking to help you sleep can possibly be a good thing, and the only way that i feel it is detrimental to muscle growth is hangovers **** up your workouts, you cant do anything when you're tired and dehyrdrated from drinking all night.

lowry05
07-31-2007, 11:47 PM
I think some of you might be reading to far into this. I mean, I'm talking about 6 beers on say a Monday and then a Friday night. And I don't do it just to help me sleep, I do it mostly for enjoyment. It just so happens that I tend to fall asleep alot easier when I drink.

Although as soon as the alcohol wears off and my body metabolizes I wake up, even if I have only had 6-7 hours of sleep.

rk77
08-01-2007, 05:57 AM
i hope he ment 3 six packs in one week. if it takes you three days to kill a sixer thats sad. 3 six packs in a week really isnt that much.

Al3X
08-01-2007, 07:35 AM
rk77 are you serious? You may want to do a little research before posting crap like that.

lowry05, the wording in your first post made it appear to be 2-3 six packs in a week.

greekboy80
08-01-2007, 07:59 AM
I think some of you might be reading to far into this. I mean, I'm talking about 6 beers on say a Monday and then a Friday night. And I don't do it just to help me sleep, I do it mostly for enjoyment. It just so happens that I tend to fall asleep alot easier when I drink.

Although as soon as the alcohol wears off and my body metabolizes I wake up, even if I have only had 6-7 hours of sleep.

Dude, do what you want! If your making gains and doing well, then who cares?

I drink every week, usually saturday night. I choose to limit it to one night a week unless there is some kind of special occasion. I work out on monday, wed, and fri. I dont think drinking uis hurting my gains at all. At worst I'm hung over on sunday. I'm not working out that day anyway, how is it hurting me?

Its your life, live it for YOURSELF. Not for anyone here on this or any other board.

North
08-01-2007, 08:27 AM
i hope he ment 3 six packs in one week. if it takes you three days to kill a sixer thats sad. 3 six packs in a week really isnt that much.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't take him 2 beers to get drunk, which he clearly isn't doing. I'm pretty sure he's just saying he'll buy a 6 pack and drink it that night, one or two times a week. I don't think thats such a bad thing. I probably drink to get drunk once or twice a week. In which i'll probably either kill a 1/5 of something or like 12-16 beers and i've been seeing gains despite that. I'm sure it does hurt my gains though which is why i'm trying to tone it down a little bit.

Rock Steady
08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
If you want to drink consistently....you might want to give vodka a shot...In essence it is lesser of all alcohol evils....beer has twice as many calories as vodka..about 96 as opposed to vodka with about4 0....

If you drink vodka stay away from carbs...when you eat a cracker while drinking vodka it turns the inactive carbs active and they will raise your insulin levels....protein is OK.

However; I have heard one heavy night of drinking will set you back 3 days in the gym...I dont think its worth it even though I do it quite frequently...

Unless the Vodka you're drinking is only 40 proof, you're off by a factor of 100%.

Al3X
08-01-2007, 10:24 AM
If your going to drink, then by all means do it. Don't post asking "I'm eating good, lifting heavy, how come I'm not getting bigger?" Most drink it's logical! I drink (when I want to) maybe a six pack throughout two weeks. Were humans what do you expect?

bigtymer
08-01-2007, 11:19 AM
bigtymer, where did you read/heard that one heavy night of drinking sets you back 3 days in the gym? How is it possible to have that answer? Can you predict who will win the World Series?

The Detroit Tigers will win the world series (NO BRAINER GUY!)...Hulk Hogan will be the next governor of Florida and John Travolta is going to join the Shriners Circus....I know all this because Negrodamus told me so...

Word on the street is alcohol blocks the bodys ability to digest protein. So I've been told...........How do you feel about that?

HighSchoolGuy
08-01-2007, 11:27 AM

Keyword: heard.

There could be exceptions like newbie gains, I had a heavy night of drinking and then I PR'd the next day in Squats. I think drinking every now and then is fine just make sure to drink lots of water and get in lots of protein. But if you're training for competitions and you want to go pro...I think you'd have to pick.

Invain
08-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Technically, it can be detrimental to your gains. Drinking alcohol isn't going to magically make your muscle disappear, but it does slow down the process in which muscle is made. If your drinking doesn't effect your diet or your training, then it's probably not a big deal. It may hinder your gains a little, but who knows if it's enough to even notice. I'm sure there's tons of meatheads that drink quite a bit and don't really notice a huge difference.

rk77
08-01-2007, 05:33 PM
rk77 are you serious? You may want to do a little research before posting crap like that.

lowry05, the wording in your first post made it appear to be 2-3 six packs in a week.

research?? yea its called 5 years of lifting and getting hammered 2 nights a week. I can maybe see it if your trying to get to sub 10 percent bodyfat or something when your cutting weight. but a sixers thurs fri and sat is not going to have a real noticable impact on gains.
I know a ton of people of have great physiques, both girls and guys who drink all the time.

bigtymer
08-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Unless the Vodka you're drinking is only 40 proof, you're off by a factor of 100%.

There is a lot of nonsense on this forum....a 2 oz glass of vodka has 40 calories.....this I have read in something called a book...Have you ever heard of such a thing Rock Steady?

rk77
08-02-2007, 05:51 PM
There is a lot of nonsense on this forum....a 2 oz glass of vodka has 40 calories.....this I have read in something called a book...Have you ever heard of such a thing Rock Steady?

its actually 64 cals in an oz, but whose counting

Invain
08-02-2007, 07:33 PM
http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/14051.html