PDA

View Full Version : Equipped Low Bar Squatting

Sidior
07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I recently made the change to low bar squatting after almost 3 years of squatting high bar. Everything went pretty well until I finally decided to throw my straps up. I was unable to keep the bar in place with my straps up. I had no issues previously squatting high bar with straps up. I am using an IPF metal squatter, so no luck with velcro straps. Any tips on how to keep the bar in place with your straps up? Is there something I should be looking out for in particular, or is there just a longer adjustment phase?

TommyBoy
07-30-2007, 01:21 PM
I recently made the change to low bar squatting after almost 3 years of squatting high bar. Everything went pretty well until I finally decided to throw my straps up. I was unable to keep the bar in place with my straps up. I had no issues previously squatting high bar with straps up. I am using an IPF metal squatter, so no luck with velcro straps. Any tips on how to keep the bar in place with your straps up? Is there something I should be looking out for in particular, or is there just a longer adjustment phase?
There's definitely an adjustment phase. I've always squatted low bar, because high bar felt ghey to me. Basically, just chalk the s*** outta your back, get a good grip on the bar, try and bend it, squeeze the shoulder blades together, and squat.

It takes practice.....just like everything else.....so go practice.

redFury
07-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Chalking +1.... your back and the bar if you really want.

Sensei
07-31-2007, 07:13 AM
There's definitely an adjustment phase. I've always squatted low bar, because high bar felt ghey to me. Basically, just chalk the s*** outta your back, get a good grip on the bar, try and bend it, squeeze the shoulder blades together, and squat.
Exactly. If you have a tight suit, the straps bearing down on your shoulders will make it harder to keep your upper back and arch tight, but with practice you should be able to maintain it.

Sidior
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys, I will work on it.

TommyBoy
07-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Actually, squatting on the box helped me the most. I set the height right where I wanted it for competition, and actually put the straps up. I'm actually gonna have to go back to this, because my squat is nowhere right now.

WillKuenzel
07-31-2007, 02:39 PM
I'll adjust the straps so they sit almost off the shoulders a bit. Depending on the fit of the suit, you'll still get the same support but you can move the straps around and I found I could do better with the straps off a little so the bar sat more on my shoulder blades below my traps. This way the material of the straps don't get in the way and I can feel the bar on my back better.