PDA

View Full Version : New To Lifting

Mclaren
07-30-2007, 02:34 PM
hey guys, im new to lifting, i just turned 17 and got a workout bench for my birthday, there is this little sample resistance program that came with it but i feel it aint gonna work out. I could really use some advice, cause i wanna bulk up. like what workouts would be best or if you guys know of a good workout program to go by for begginers. k any constructive criticism would be appreciated. much help needed.

o and how would i find my BF %? thanks again guys.

Questor
07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
You can buy a pair of calipers cheap, online or in a drug store, and they'll tell you your bf %.

There are several good workouts around here. Search for WBB 1.1, WBB I, II, III, and BGB.

If you're skinny eat hearty. If you're fat, eat not so hearty. Eat lots of protein, less carb.

Rest. Repeat.

Mclaren
07-30-2007, 02:44 PM
which of those would be best for a begginer or would u say any of them?

Bako Lifter
07-30-2007, 02:47 PM
WBB 1, or you can even look up the "Starting Strength Program" on google, that's probably the best routine to build up a good strength base.

Questor
07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
I'd go with WBB I, or WBB 1.1, as a beginner.

Bako Lifter
07-30-2007, 02:54 PM
I'd go with WBB I, or WBB 1.1, as a beginner.

I remember Rich McGuire having a tough time with 1.1, you'll also need to max out before hand to get accurate percentages that are used during the routine. So it might be a little difficult for a true beginner imo.

Questor
07-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Oh, good points, I hadn't heard about Rich's problems, nor had I thought about the 1rm thing.

Mclaren
07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
k thanks guys, and another thing, whats a good number of calories to take in per day? and i know i could find this out through research, but im short for time at the moment, and was wondering how do you find your RM.

Bako Lifter
07-30-2007, 03:16 PM
www.Fitday.com

Try 3,000 calories and see how it fits you. This would be to gain weight, btw.

How to find your 1RM? You have to go in the gym and max out. Don't do it by yourself though, and don't do it if you don't know proper form or if you don't have experience lifting. Easy way to get yourself hurt.

Mclaren
07-30-2007, 03:18 PM
but wouldnt i need to know my RM to go on that workout program,
the WBB 1. and i need to know good calories for losing some BF.

Bako Lifter
07-30-2007, 03:20 PM
You need 1RMs to do WBB 1.1

Not WWB 1

Read the stickies in the nutrition forum.

Biggins
07-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Really good advice??Get a trainer to teach you proper form.Im 37 yrs old and just yesterday found out why my bench is 135 for reps while im strong in all other exercises.I squat 315,bent row 180,curl 110.Dont do deads anymore but I was up to 365 for 8.

Read on internet what ive been doing wrong all these years.Ive always lifted bar off and then forced my shoulders back with elbows at 90 deg from torso thinking since this stretched my chest the most it was ideal.Today I lifted bar off and proceeded to lower my shoulders and push down towards feet.Then I brought my elbows closer to my torso and repped out with 175.This is no lie.....for years I have made this mistake and now I know how to fix it.Dont do the same thing.Look online for exercise guides and study study study the form of each.Your new hobby will give much more satisfaction with the foundation of form foirst and foremost.:strong:

Mclaren
07-30-2007, 03:30 PM
appreciate all the help guys.

Biggins
07-30-2007, 03:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlDWdfTAx8o&mode=related&search=

Mclaren
07-30-2007, 04:22 PM
wow thats a lot of weight.

Biggins
07-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Hehe yes it is!Look at how he throws his elbows foward and his shoulders down and foward as he starts the descent.That puts you in a position to use your chest to maximum.

Pretend your benching and keep your shoulders up high as if the bar was across your kneck.Bet you dont feel it in your chest.Now place your hands down below nipple area as if bar was under chest and pretend to be benching.Pure chest!!!!Wheeeeee

Bako Lifter
07-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Hehe yes it is!Look at how he throws his elbows foward and his shoulders down and foward as he starts the descent.That puts you in a position to use your chest to maximum.

Pretend your benching and keep your shoulders up high as if the bar was across your kneck.Bet you dont feel it in your chest.Now place your hands down below nipple area as if bar was under chest and pretend to be benching.Pure chest!!!!Wheeeeee

I think you're misunderstanding.

The guy in the video is using a bench shirt. He's tucking his elbows in so he can touch the bar on his chest. If you've ever benched in a shirt, you'd know how hard it is to bring the bar that low. By tucking your elbows in it creates a shorter ROM.

After he pushes it off of his chest, you'll see him flare his elbows at the top so he can lock out the lift.

Biggins
07-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I think you're misunderstanding.

The guy in the video is using a bench shirt. He's tucking his elbows in so he can touch the bar on his chest. If you've ever benched in a shirt, you'd know how hard it is to bring the bar that low. By tucking your elbows in it creates a shorter ROM.

After he pushes it off of his chest, you'll see him flare his elbows at the top so he can lock out the lift.

For me it seems it places the stress of the weight on chest muscles heavily with shoulders and triceps medium,instead of on delicate shoulder joints(reason for my constant shoulder injury I now believe).

I found this video.http://youtube.com/watch?v=xTAYAl4g7HE

This man is the MAN and explains exactley what I mean......BUT he makes a difference between bodybuilding benching and powerlifting benching.I just dont see his reasoning behind this as if I am benching with more weight and using more muscle it is a compound mass exercise and benefits me with more mass.I as a bodybuilder want to bench heavy weights that make my upper body grow in strength as well as mass.I wouldnt want to do benching just to hit chest only as that means less weight....less weight means less mass.

The Man Ronnie Coleman using the "powerlifter";) technique
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wEwpLMO6n7s