PDA

View Full Version : Is this reasonable to assume for a cut?

XYU
07-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Hello everyone,

Been lurking for 6 months now, just about time to raise my post count.

11 weeks ago, I started a bulk, as I was weighing 146 lbs @ 17% BF (Im 5 foot 9 - all BF measurements done with impedence scale). I am currently sitting at 164 with a BF percentage of 19%. My goal is to get to 170 lbs in the next 5 weeks, while maintaining my BF percentage at 19.

That would give me a LBM of about 138 Lbs and BF of 32 Lbs.

Over the past few years I have lost a lot of weight, but have always done it incorrectly, by lowering my calories to 700 a day, and not getting nearly enough protein. So when I reached 146 I was skinny fat with nowhere near enough muscle to lose the rest of my fat without lookin like I had AIDS.

Since Ive been reading this forum Ive learned alot of what I need to do on a cut, so assuming I drop my calories to 500 below maintanace, and keep my protein high during my cut, is it reasonable for me to drop 15 Lbs in 10 weeks, with 14 Lbs being fat and only 1 Lb being LBM? That would bring me to :

LBM of 137 and BF of 18 = 12 % BF

I have a bet with my brother, he seems to think if I lost 15 Lbs in 10 weeks, that at least 5 Lbs would be LBM.

Anyone have any experiences they could share as to what I could expect while doing a clean cut?

Thanks!

Whitebread
07-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Not to derail your progress before it starts, but impedance scales are HORRIBLY inaccurate. Mine tells me I'm 25% BF when my abs are clearly visible.

XYU
07-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Not to derail your progress before it starts, but impedance scales are HORRIBLY inaccurate. Mine tells me I'm 25% BF when my abs are clearly visible.

Yea, im aware of that. I use the scale as a guideline, or a benchmark for progress. Im pretty good at judging BF percentage from appearance as well, so in my case at least, I feel it's pretty accurate.

KingWilder
07-31-2007, 09:18 AM
if you drop your cals by 500 a day that's 3500 LESS calories a week

there are 3500 calories in 1lb of fat

which means you could lose 1lb a week with that deficit

XYU
07-31-2007, 09:26 AM
if you drop your cals by 500 a day that's 3500 LESS calories a week

there are 3500 calories in 1lb of fat

which means you could lose 1lb a week with that deficit

In your experience, if doing this for a long time, would it be possible to lose almost all fat and little no muscle, or would some level of muscle loss be expected?

When I went from 235 to 146, I lost an average of 5 Lbs a week, but a lot of that was muscle because of the way i was doing it. I'm trying to get an idea of what type of muscle loss can be expected if doing a proper cut (slightly lower then maintenance calorie intact, high protein, heavy weight resistance training)

KingWilder
07-31-2007, 09:32 AM
eat enough protein (1.5g per lb LBM)
lift heavy to convince your body it needs the muscle
only lose 1lb per week

will you lose some muscle? possibly. But what I suggested is your best bet to make sure it's minimal.