PDA

View Full Version : loose straps on suit...solutions?

jtteg_x
07-31-2007, 05:15 PM
ok, so i had 2 of my buddies come out today to train and they told me the straps on my metal IPF suit are too loose and need to be cut 3". would it be safe to get the top straps shortened by a alteration pro? how much can it cost me?

TommyBoy
07-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah, you could get them taken in. Shouldn't cost too much, maybe $20 or so, depending on the tailor. If you're competing in the IPF make sure the excess strap is still attached, I think it says somewhere in the rule book that you can't cut off excess fabric when you get it altered; you need to leave the excess fabric attached.

deeder
07-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Lots of people get their straps taken up.. I'll see if I can find a pic to show you what I mean.

Edit:

Here's a pic... The excess material is just pinched up at the top basically:

http://www.saskpowerlifting.ca/2006_Nationals_Chilliwak/images/chilliwack_092.jpg

jtteg_x
07-31-2007, 11:37 PM
thanks for the heads up. i didnt know that.

deeder, what type of stitching did you do to get it durable and stable? and how many layers? i have a feeling that 5 layers of stitch wouldnt hold up against 500lb of tension =\

deeder
08-01-2007, 12:41 AM
thanks for the heads up. i didnt know that.

deeder, what type of stitching did you do to get it durable and stable? and how many layers? i have a feeling that 5 layers of stitch wouldnt hold up against 500lb of tension =\

Couldn't tell ya man. That pic isn't me. It's Boyd Lyon, a lifter from Alberta.

Guido
08-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I think I need to do this, too. My straps just about fall off after 3 reps because they are so loose. I have no problem getting both straps up by myself. I probably don't get anything at all out of my DL suit past halfway up.

redFury
08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
I think I need to do this, too. My straps just about fall off after 3 reps because they are so loose. I have no problem getting both straps up by myself. I probably don't get anything at all out of my DL suit past halfway up.

Umm... you definitely should get that looked at :D. Then when you get it back, pull 550+ :D.

Guido
08-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Umm... you definitely should get that looked at :D. Then when you get it back, pull 550+ :D.It will happen for sure, straps altered or not!

jtteg_x
08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
on the top part of the strap, there is a stitching seam left to right. should I get it stitched in FRONT of that, BEHIND it, or right on it?