PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Upper Body

Led Head
08-01-2007, 05:49 PM
hey all i really want to find a good upper body hockey workout, first off because i play hockey :p and second because i really want to improve my upper body strength, so if anyone knows one if you could please post it here along with suggested weights to be used with the exercises to try and give me something to shoot for, but anyways I would really appreciate it if anyone knew one and posted it here.

JHarris
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM
hey all i really want to find a good upper body hockey workout, first off because i play hockey :p and second because i really want to improve my upper body strength, so if anyone knows one if you could please post it here along with suggested weights to be used with the exercises to try and give me something to shoot for, but anyways I would really appreciate it if anyone knew one and posted it here.

If you want an upper body workout for hockey, why not just look at any generalized sports workout? It sounds to me like you are reasonably new to lifting and would benefit from a more broad/well-balanced workout.

I'd also like to point out that you are more likely to reap more gains in sports, specifically ones like hockey, if you were to focus more on lower body strength. That is where you derive all your speed and power (yes, even in hitting a puck). Find a good, well-rounded general sports lifting routine that focuses on a few big, compound lifts like the squat, deadlift, bent row, shoulder press, pullup and bench press and stick to that. Don't get too focused on smaller muscle groups; they'll be trained well by the compound lifts which translate much better to sports than isolation ones do.

Led Head
08-03-2007, 08:50 PM
hmm ive looked around on the site and i cant see to find a good general upper body workout, so if you know of a good one could you please post it here

secondly i know protein is quite essential to muscle building, so approximately how much should i take in a day or, is it a kind of the more the better kind of principle?

D Breyer
08-03-2007, 09:12 PM
www.crossfit.com :)

Led Head
08-04-2007, 06:46 PM
awesome thanks man i havent looked at the site yet but does it have some workout routines on it? and also what about the protein intake, whats a good amount to take in to get to most from weight training, or is it just the more the better?

mikey4402
08-06-2007, 02:03 PM
1-1.5 grams per lb of lean body mass

If you should be doing a full body work out, not just worrying about your upper body, especialy if your training for a sport.

I currently do a Push/Pull/Legs Shoulders 3 day split doing mostly compound lifts. i also add some plyo and sprint work in the evening.

i dont know how often you can get onto the ice but work on your skating. Get laura stamm power skating book or DVD. I try to get on the ice, during the off season at least once a week. There i apply some of the exersices from the power skating program. The fastest skaters arnt always the strongest skaters and the harder shooters arnt always the strongest players.