PDA

View Full Version : Where/How to learn Olympic lifts

Invain
08-01-2007, 07:05 PM
I've recently been interested in Olympic lifts, especially after watching a few videos of Fuzzy's, so I decided I was going to try and teach myself, starting with the clean. After a couple weeks I have quickly learned that I suck terribly at it, and it's impossible to teach yourself a technique that you don't know, no matter all the tips I can read on the net.

My question is, where could I possibly go to learn this stuff? I'm sure there'll be lifting clubs at my college, but I don't know if any of the focus on olympic lifts. Do you guys think I could find somebody at school that knows enough to possibly teach me? I'll be in Ann Arbor, Michigan, not a very big city, but still decently sized. Is there any chance I could find a gym nearby with trainers that teach this sort of stuff? I'm almost willing to pay and take a class, but I have no clue if that sort of thing even exists around my area.

JHarris
08-01-2007, 08:06 PM
I've recently been interested in Olympic lifts, especially after watching a few videos of Fuzzy's, so I decided I was going to try and teach myself, starting with the clean. After a couple weeks I have quickly learned that I suck terribly at it, and it's impossible to teach yourself a technique that you don't know, no matter all the tips I can read on the net.

My question is, where could I possibly go to learn this stuff? I'm sure there'll be lifting clubs at my college, but I don't know if any of the focus on olympic lifts. Do you guys think I could find somebody at school that knows enough to possibly teach me? I'll be in Ann Arbor, Michigan, not a very big city, but still decently sized. Is there any chance I could find a gym nearby with trainers that teach this sort of stuff? I'm almost willing to pay and take a class, but I have no clue if that sort of thing even exists around my area.

I'm glad you are considering the sport of Olympic lifting. Its combination of strength, explosiveness, timing and flexibility is unmatched by any other. Your best bet is to find a USA weightlifting club somewhere near you. Check: http://www.msbn.tv/USAVISION/index.aspx or possibly http://www.lifttilyadie.com/w8lift.htm . If you do find a weightlifting team nearby, it will likely be cheap to free to join and get coaching, and you really do want someone with coaching credentials through USAW since this is the governing body in the US. Good luck; I hope you are able to find a place to start learning these lifts!

Anthony
08-01-2007, 08:11 PM
A good coach can't be beat. But you can also check out a link I posted recently ... http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=100018

Stumprrp
08-02-2007, 12:11 AM
extremely difficult without formal coaching IMO but it can be done! i would start with flexibility first off for at least a month, thats huge!

tomv
08-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Flexibility is incredibly important as Stump noted. Though I don't live in your area (nor know where it is) perhaps you could check if there was a crossfit centre near you? Crossfit seems to enjoy using quite a few OLY lifts and I imagine they would have people there that would know and be able to coach you.

Sleepy Guy
08-02-2007, 09:35 AM
I am just echoing what has been said but yes a coach is a must if you plan on training them seriously. The videos will help show form but there is many fine points that are not easy to see in vids and some vids suck too.

I am by no means an expert in the lifts but very few know how to do them and bad form can lead to problems.

I would say do it for a month or so steady if you can not find a coach and do very light weight. Maybe post your comments and they can be added upon.

OceanFit
08-02-2007, 10:43 AM
have you thought of going to your schools stength coach? I'm sure you could hire him or her as a trainer if you wanted.

Also, have you looked at crossfits exercise page? They have a lot of helpfull videos.

A book that I've read adn thought was useful is "Explosive Lifting for Sports"

JHarris
08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
have you thought of going to your schools stength coach? I'm sure you could hire him or her as a trainer if you wanted.

Also, have you looked at crossfits exercise page? They have a lot of helpfull videos.

A book that I've read adn thought was useful is "Explosive Lifting for Sports"

Be a little careful of the Crossfit site. I took a look at it, and a few of those lifts they have videotaped (such as the split clean and jerk) have a lot of technical flaws in them. Specifically, I see a lot of people going on to their toes early, pulling with their arms early, ripping the bar off the ground, etc. These are classic mistakes people make that are new to the lifts.

That doesn't mean that someone there won't know what they are doing, but its not a good sign that they are posting bad technical lifts as examples. And let me tell you, unlearning bad habits that get reinforced with a coach who doesn't quite know the lifts as well as he should will set you back a LONG ways.

Anthony
08-02-2007, 03:57 PM
J, a lot of the old example videos will be phased out. Have you seen the new resource they developed with the Canadian Forces? If not, check out the link I posted above. While the lifts may not be world class perfect (no lift is), it certainly addresses a lot of the major issues.

Also, their go to guy for Olympic lifting is Mike Burgener ... if you read the site on a regular basis you will see a TON of coaching videos from Mike.

JHarris
08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
J, a lot of the old example videos will be phased out. Have you seen the new resource they developed with the Canadian Forces? If not, check out the link I posted above. While the lifts may not be world class perfect (no lift is), it certainly addresses a lot of the major issues.

Also, their go to guy for Olympic lifting is Mike Burgener ... if you read the site on a regular basis you will see a TON of coaching videos from Mike.

Anthony, I took a closer look through a number of the videos and the ones where Burgener is talking are quite good, you are right. My apologies for jumping to conclusions; I mainly scanned some of the actual lift videos and saw some glaring mistakes, but if they are phasing those out and relying more on Burgener's talks, then it is a fine website to use.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. The talks he gives actually seem to be a great resource for people who are interested in olympic lifting to take a look at.

Sleepy Guy
08-03-2007, 08:28 AM
I agree with some of those early vids and poor form but can not look at the new vids at this time.

I have found most that do crossfit type of lifting lack a true Oly lift style. Not sure if it is lack of training or care.

The competition vids of Oly lifters are a good source.

KingWilder
08-03-2007, 10:12 AM
the newer vids (from the link Anthony posted about the Combat Fitness Progam) are a vast improvement and the "coaching" portion is done very well in my opinion