PDA

View Full Version : Maltodextrin and sports

Short N Buff
03-26-2001, 08:13 PM
will this cause an unfavorable insulin spike that will cause me to gas out in wrestling matches? Another question, can eating malto throughout the day give me diabetes?

Spiderman
03-27-2001, 09:42 AM
Maltodextrin is a high GI sugar. Its very good for post-workout meals. As for the gas...I'm not to sure. And as for Diabetes..if your family has no history of it I don't think you should be concerned with it. Maltodextrin as stated by John Parillo (not a quote though) is good for you because it gives you an insulin spike but can also give time released energy as well. Don't ask me the physological process in the body with it though...I don't know at all. Hope this helps some. :cool:

Budiak
03-27-2001, 12:16 PM
As with most sugars, if you take a big dose of it at one time, you'll be wired for a bit and then crash and be sluggish. I'm not sure, I've never measured and maintained a constant sugar intake throughout the day, and I'm sure that someone here has. Dont listen to me. Listem to him (points at next guy who posts).

Alex.V
03-27-2001, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Budiak
Listem to him (points at next guy who posts).

i like Cheese.

Sorry.

Anyway, yeah. Maltodextrin doesn't do crap for my long term energy. You'll gas out BIG TIME if you're wrestling; the last thing you want is to hit that big insulin crash in the middle of a match. A snicker's bar beforehand would honestly be a better choice.

Twiztid
03-27-2001, 02:53 PM
What kinda stuff is Maltodextrin in?

Twiztid

Frankster
03-27-2001, 03:28 PM
Most MRP's

Short N Buff
03-27-2001, 06:05 PM
What advantage does maltodextrin have over glucose? Its heavier and more dense?

David
03-27-2001, 07:25 PM
hey guys how many carbs do you take in after working out?

would 160g be a little too much?....

Spiderman
03-27-2001, 07:52 PM
Triple P,
I think 160 grams is way to much. I take in about 80-90 grams. But thats directly after and then an 90 min. later I take in a full meal with about the same amount of carbs.
Twiz,
Maltodextrin is in most MRP's and is the main ingredient in most weight gainers. Its the first ingredient in N-Large2 by Prolab. I've looked for it in bulk but have had no luck...anyone else know where you can get it in bulk?