PDA

View Full Version : Gain diet critique

jake020
08-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey fellow members,

My stats:

27yrs
5'10" 180lbs 12% bf

My goal is to gain 20 lbs by December (about 1 lb. per week)

I am currently consuming about 3200 calories...that is based on 15 cals. x 180 lb= maintainence cals...then added 500. (got that formula from a "sticky" article)

I attached as an excel doc. my current diet and would appreciate any suggestions and comments...

Also...just because I am on a gain does not mean I can eat anything in sight right? Should I still stick to the one or two "cheat days" and stick to my "clean" weight gain?

ArmandSV
08-02-2007, 06:28 PM
i think your diet is not bad, seems like a good way to do a clean bulk, I would not describe it as a healthy diet, you need veggies, fruits, and fiber too.

also take creatine and multiple vitamine.

also I would not be adding 500 cals to my diet right away, give your body a introduction to a bulk, start with an extra 100 calories a day for a week, then 200 extra a day for another week.....to 500 extra a day. Then you will be able to track your progress, and might find that at 500+ cals a day you put on much more fat then muscle.

as a side note, you have a picture?, I'm 5-11 and 166lbs and my scale estimates 20% BF and I would like a comparison

ray34iyf
08-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I would up the carbs a bit more. No need to be sub 100 on a bulk. Get 1g protein per lbm and .5 g fat per lbm and then fill in the rest with carbs IMO.

j_man_honda
08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
300+ grams of protein a day?? Damn thats a lot....Diet looks good though, you'll def. put on that 20lbs. eating like that.

KingWilder
08-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey fellow members,

My stats:

27yrs
5'10" 180lbs 12% bf

My goal is to gain 20 lbs by December (about 1 lb. per week)

I am currently consuming about 3200 calories...that is based on 15 cals. x 180 lb= maintainence cals...then added 500. (got that formula from a "sticky" article)

I attached as an excel doc. my current diet and would appreciate any suggestions and comments...

Also...just because I am on a gain does not mean I can eat anything in sight right? Should I still stick to the one or two "cheat days" and stick to my "clean" weight gain?

By chance, do you know how many calories you were eating prior to the 3200 (do you know your ACTUAL maintenance...not formula based). A lot of times those formulas aren't accurate, so the last thing you want to do is base a diet around them if you can be more accurate. You also don't want to just jump up to 3200 calories if you were previously much lower, it's better to ease into it.

Some people advocate clean bulking, some go with dirty, others pick a nice median. I would try and eat as clean as possible..but hey, you're bulking, don't feel bad about indulging once in awhile.

jake020
08-03-2007, 03:53 PM
great suggestions so far. I used the BF thing at my gym to get the 12% so i am sure it is not completely accurate, I'll see about posting some pics.

I do take a mutli vitamin pak, just forgot to put that on the spreadsheet. I may add more carbs as a pre-workout food to fuel the training session. This was my basic diet for months, so i figured that my maintences cals were around 2500. I added the fats (peanut b, peanuts, and flax) and the cottage cheese to bump me to the 3200, but everything else was basically there. I figure that I will defintely enjoy myself now and then with cheat meals and not feel bad since i am bulking. Also, I will weigh myself weekly and make adjustments from there.

I really dislike veggies, which is why there isn't much of them on there, but maybe I could add some carrots or something? ...like REALLY dislike veggies