PDA

View Full Version : Amateur competitions

BFGUITAR
08-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I know that im not going to be pro and I know im not good enough for many competitions. If I were to work hard and gain decent strength, are there any types of competitions that I could enter where there are other people with the same lifestyle as me... powerlifts as a hobby, and compete as a hobby.

Kind of like house league I guess.

Chris Rodgers
08-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Just enter a local, state-level meet. There are usually plenty of people doing their first meet at those types and you will also get to see some people who have been competing for years.

If it says Nationals or Wolrds, that's not your best bet to start with. :)

BFGUITAR
08-04-2007, 08:51 PM
I live in Canada... are there provincials?

KingWilder
08-04-2007, 09:08 PM

yes

Deeder is actually doing provincials tomorrow...you could ask him about it

RedSpikeyThing
08-04-2007, 10:11 PM
there are provincials and smaller, more local meets as well. The Nationals are in Niagara in April and I'm planning on checking it out.
There's also an amateur strongman competition on the islands. It's either very soon, or just passed :(

Sidior
08-05-2007, 12:18 AM
there are provincials and smaller, more local meets as well. The Nationals are in Niagara in April and I'm planning on checking it out.
There's also an amateur strongman competition on the islands. It's either very soon, or just passed :(

It is in august. I was thinking about checking that out myself. Beer + BBQ + heavy things = a good time.

TommyBoy
08-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Yep, I'm in BC and ours are usually in June.

Beer + BBQ + heavy things = a good time.
Well said.

RedSpikeyThing
08-05-2007, 10:10 AM
It is in august. I was thinking about checking that out myself. Beer + BBQ + heavy things = a good time.
It's august 25th. Can't make it :(
http://www.islandheroes.ca/

jtteg_x
08-05-2007, 01:13 PM
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4421

Sidior
08-05-2007, 03:35 PM
It's august 25th. Can't make it :(
http://www.islandheroes.ca/

25th eh. You suck because that works well for me:D

Guido
08-06-2007, 11:49 AM
FYI, BF, most people that compete in powerlifting do it as a hobby. There are not many pro's at all in powerlifting. There's not much money in it, and certainly not enough to make a living out of it.

Darracq
08-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Just go and try to set pr`s each time. If you just want to go and win,if your just looking for a compettion that you can win that is lame. Just do the best you can.

BFGUITAR
08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Just go and try to set pr`s each time. If you just want to go and win,if your just looking for a compettion that you can win that is lame. Just do the best you can.

The idea wasnt for me to win, but to compete. Competition with others is half the fun of it.

Guido
08-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Do some local meets. You'll learn a lot and have fun. You'll also realize how strong you really need to be to be "competitive". You miht surprise yourself and find that you aren't far off the level of some guys at your state level meets.

Darracq
08-07-2007, 12:05 PM
The idea wasnt for me to win, but to compete. Competition with others is half the fun of it.

Then I agree with ya, i just figured you wanted to find some class so you could win.If you work hard then you should do good at some of the smaller meets,