PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Lift Advice

Jaybird88
08-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I'll be starting Defranco's Westside Training for Skinny Bastards(http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm) Monday, and I want to add a fourth day, seeing as I won't be doing and conditioning. I'm very interested in olympic lifts, but I'm not sure how to train them, especially just once a week. I'm not sure if one day is even enough to make significant progress, but I more or less just WANT to do them, for the fun. Sort of a fun day....a violent, explosive fun day.

So, I come to you lovely lifters looking for advice as to how to incorporate the most effective Olympic lifts into the Westside template. Below is my plan. Feel free to pick it apart, as well as advise me on how to put the Oly lifts in. Thanks in advance, guys!

ME Upper Body
--------------
Flat Bench: (5xMax)
Incline DB Bench: (3-4x8)
Bent DB or BB Row: (4x12)
Bent DB Rear Flies: (2-3x12)
BB Russian Twists: (3-4x10)

ME Lower Body
--------------
Deadlifts: (5xMax)
Single Leg Squats, back leg elevated: (3-4x10)
Leg Curls: (3-4x8)
Plate Pinches: (1min)

Upper Body Repetition
---------------------
Flat DB Bench: (3xMaxReps, 60sec Rest)
DB Tricep Extensions: (3-4x8)
Chin-ups(mix negatives): (4x12)
DB Shoulder Press: (3x10)
EZ Curls: (3x8)
Abs Circuit: (Vacuum, Knee Raises, Crunches, Bends, R. Twists, etc.)

andy51
08-05-2007, 03:23 PM
You could think of it as a "dynamic" effort day. Rotate the exercises. do some Posterior chain work. Experiment eventually you will find something that works well for you. I would stay away from jerks though.

OceanFit
08-06-2007, 06:36 AM
If I was going to work in some Oly lifts I would probably break up my split like this

Sun:
Mon:ME Upper Body
Tue:ME Lower Body
Wed:
Thu: Oly Lifts
Fri:Upper Body Repetition
Sat:

Also, I would probably want to concentrate on just one type of lift on the Oly day. So I would pick clean or snatch, and work on that lift and its accessories that day.

So if I picked snatch, it would look something like this…

Snatch Complex: 1 x 10 ea
- Muscle Snatch
- Mil Press
- OH Squat
- Front Squat
- RDL
- BOR
OH Squat: 3 x 10 – 12
Push Jerk: 3 x 4 - 6
Snatch: 4 x 1 – 3 (Max)
Turkish Get Ups: 3 x 10 (Optional)

Sleepy Guy
08-06-2007, 11:15 AM
While you could do clean and jerk and snatch in the same day it might leave you crippled the next day.

I would shoot for one day a week for clean and another for snatch if you can. Start with the oly lifts before going on.. I like doing cleans the day after snatch because the shoulders are often tired from cleans and impede my snatch.

I would avoid doing snatch on a bench day because of the shoulder work. In my case it caused problems. Snatch works well with deads. Cleans with squats.

There are variations of the lifts that can be done if you are too sore from a previous like hand cleans use very little leg.

mattanshrager
08-07-2007, 03:21 PM
You can add the olympic lifts wherever you like. They train the CNS much more than they fatigue the muscles. Remember the bulgarians. they trained something like 6 times a day, 6 days a week. Very little fatigue comes from the quick lifts. And they will help you build your support system.

Add them anywhere! But the most important part is learning form before you veer off with your "own" form. Then you may find yourself backtracking through 50 pounds of PR's (firsthand experience).