PDA

View Full Version : Soccer goalkeeper

JB120589
08-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Any specific weightlifting or different training workouts to help improve game?

redFury
08-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Overall strength is good I think... honestly I would imagine incorporating some oly would be especially beneficial. Squats, deadlift, bench, cleans, etc.

I've always found though, that gpp practice is most important when playing goal. You have to develop the instincts... because if you dont have that then it doesn't matter how quick or strong you are.

Anthony
08-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Outside of practising and playing your sport, there's really not that much "sport specific" weight training. Just get stronger and faster.

Curtis
08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Goalkeeper is mostly agility. I'm assuming this forum is mainly americans so i wouldnt ask here for advice.

agility and power from arms for punching the ball away or being quick off your line to get the ball

So :
Agility
Reflexes
Jumping ability
Punching , throwing power
Kicking power for goal kicks.

My advice is to play the game as much as possible, practise your kicks in a game and thats all really because your either a good goalkeeper or not really.
Hard position to teach.

redFury
08-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Goalkeeper is mostly agility. I'm assuming this forum is mainly americans so i wouldnt ask here for advice.

That's a pretty absurd comment right there... this site is full of very knowledgeable people from all over the world including ones from the U.S.

To the OP... I think the general consenus is gpp practice, including drills.

Curtis
08-08-2007, 10:20 AM
That's a pretty absurd comment right there... this site is full of very knowledgeable people from all over the world including ones from the U.S.

To the OP... I think the general consenus is gpp practice, including drills.

"assuming" + you'd be absurd to compare knowledge of the game between americans and say the uk

Same as i wouldnt expect english people to understand american football more than americans themselves.

Im sure there are some americans that have a great understanding of football(soccer) but the odds are hes better seeking advice from an english forum because the probability of him finding somebody there is higher.

mikey4402
08-08-2007, 10:31 AM
"assuming" + you'd be absurd to compare knowledge of the game between americans and say the uk

Same as i wouldnt expect english people to understand american football more than americans themselves.

Im sure there are some americans that have a great understanding of football(soccer) but the odds are hes better seeking advice from an english forum because the probability of him finding somebody there is higher.

He asked about training for soccer. Traning to become stronger at soccer is the same as training to become stronger at hockey, Football or badmitten. This site is as good as any when it comes to weight training.

So i agree your comments were pretty absurd.

McVein
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM

agility and power from arms for punching the ball away or being quick off your line to get the ball

So :
Agility
Reflexes
Jumping ability

My advice is to play the game as much as possible, practise your kicks in a game and thats all really because your either a good goalkeeper or not really.
Hard position to teach.

I bet you are the worst footballer in the world, I would actually wager that Anthony would run rings around you, and hes from canadia, football hasnt been invented there yet.

It is not a hard position to teach, shay given or dida or grobellar were not born with a pair of addidas gloves on, they learnt it.

sharkall2003
08-08-2007, 03:15 PM

So :
Agility
Reflexes
Jumping ability

Hard position to teach.

So what are you doing here?

samj
08-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Hard position to teach.

BAD advice