PDA

View Full Version : Carbs vs. Fiber

RCASEYH
08-05-2007, 10:22 PM
If someone is on a clean bulk and trying to consume more complex carbs in their diet, is it feasible to assume that their daily carb totals should include the fibrous carbs from veggies/whole grains/etc or should they strive to get even higher totals taking all the fiber they may be ingesting into account? (Several people I know feel that that veggies, etc. don't really 'count' toward their carbs.)

Thoughts? :scratch:

KingWilder
08-05-2007, 10:45 PM
not too sure what you're asking, but IMO if they've got calories they count...granted they have hardly any cals, but veggies and fruits are usually pretty nutrient dense and are worth your while for more than just calories (think health reasons)

RCASEYH
08-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the response ... perhaps I didn't phrase my question exactly right.

Naturally one would count the total caloric content of all foods, even those which are fibrous carbs. However, it appears that someone's daily percentages can be radically altered if you are ingesting a lot of fiber. Say for example I am trying to do a diet that is roughly 45% Carb and the rest Protein and Fat. When you plug anything fibrous into many of these food-tracking programs, such as FitDay, your total percentages for carbs becomes radically lower if almost all the foods you have been eating have a higher degree of fiber -- almost 'canceling' the net effect of the carb -- which is NOT what I want to do.

(I ask this since I am on a clean bulk and want to take more carbs in my diet. With that being said, however, I also eat a ton of veggies/whole grains each day (love 'em) and although I am hitting the right amount of calories and grams in each area, my total percentages are never right since all the fiber is coming into play.)

I guess I was just curious if people just go by total grams and ignore the 'interpreted' percentages.

I hope that clears it up. If not, perhaps I'll just cut out almost all the veggies (fiber) and start eating something like Twizzlers instead. (kidding)

KingWilder
08-06-2007, 11:54 AM
I usually just go by total calories and total grams of each things listed...I don't even bother with percents

as long as you're eating over maintenance you'll gain weight, don't stress yourself out by overthinking the tiny details

RCASEYH
08-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I usually just go by total calories and total grams of each things listed...I don't even bother with percents

as long as you're eating over maintenance you'll gain weight, don't stress yourself out by overthinking the tiny details

Thanks, King. You're right.

One things I've found out over the course of the past few months is that even if I go over maintenance by consuming more "fibrous" calories, my weight goes nowhere, almost as if I didn't take in any over maintenance at all. (The less fibrous or simpler carbs allow me to gain the weight I'm looking for.)

Hey ... I guess that sort of answers my own question!
I have to bump it up even higher to allow for all the fiber! :idea:

PS -- thanks for checking out my intro in the new member forum. Glad you were able to make it all the way through. LOL

KingWilder
08-06-2007, 12:53 PM
no problem man

good luck with everything

Holto
08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks, King. You're right.

One things I've found out over the course of the past few months is that even if I go over maintenance by consuming more "fibrous" calories, my weight goes nowhere, almost as if I didn't take in any over maintenance at all. (The less fibrous or simpler carbs allow me to gain the weight I'm looking for.)

Hey ... I guess that sort of answers my own question!
I have to bump it up even higher to allow for all the fiber! :idea:

PS -- thanks for checking out my intro in the new member forum. Glad you were able to make it all the way through. LOL

Couple things...

Some foods like celery are actually negative calories. Which means that you burn more calories digesting and eliminating it than it yields to your body.

Another thing (just in case you didn't know) if a food that has 20g's of carbs and of that 20g's, 5g's are fiber, that food had 15 grams of impact carbs.

Some say you don't count the calories from the fiber because it is indigestible but they do yield some energy to the body. Each fiber is different and some may yield a calorie or two per gram.

RCASEYH
08-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Couple things...

Some foods like celery are actually negative calories. Which means that you burn more calories digesting and eliminating it than it yields to your body.

Another thing (just in case you didn't know) if a food that has 20g's of carbs and of that 20g's, 5g's are fiber, that food had 15 grams of impact carbs.

Some say you don't count the calories from the fiber because it is indigestible but they do yield some energy to the body. Each fiber is different and some may yield a calorie or two per gram.

Thanks, Holto --- that is exactly what I meant behind my reasoning of going even higher with my carb grams/percentages. Otherwise, my additional calories over maintenance are pretty much negated.

mickyjune26
08-09-2007, 12:53 PM
good stuff here. one word of caution - don't eliminate fibers completely out of your diet.

As your weight goes up, i'm curious to know how your BF % does.

RCASEYH
08-09-2007, 07:04 PM
good stuff here. one word of caution - don't eliminate fibers completely out of your diet.

As your weight goes up, i'm curious to know how your BF % does.

Oh, fear not ... I'll never cut out the veggies/fruits/whole grains (love them too much) .... fiber will ALWAYS be there!! :nod:

I'll be curious as to how the body fat is impacted as well when I tweak my diet a bit.