PDA

View Full Version : eat after 7

jeff52069
08-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Do u think its alright for me to do a protien drink after 7 pm if i go to bed at 10 .

Anthony
08-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Yes.

cphafner
08-06-2007, 06:05 PM
drink one at 7 and another just before bed at 10.

jeff52069
08-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I heard u body can handle up to 45 grams of protien at a time then the rest is waste.If true how long do u wait to take more protien.

Bako Lifter
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I heard u body can handle up to 45 grams of protien at a time then the rest is waste.If true how long do u wait to take more protien.

Thats not true.

IZich
08-06-2007, 06:28 PM

45 is an arbitrary number that "scientists" (read: ignorant and lazy people) pulled out of their patootie.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Outshine
08-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Do u think its alright for me to do a protien drink after 7 pm if i go to bed at 10 .

Like everyone else said, it's fine. I eat two full meals after 7 every single night. The second one is about 20 minutes before bed. Eat as late as you want/need.

shazoo123
08-06-2007, 08:09 PM

no..

Alex.V
08-06-2007, 08:21 PM

I want to kill myself now.

Bako Lifter
08-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I want to kill myself now.

OD on protein.

Alex.V
08-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I hear 45 grams or more will kill you. Something about sitting in your large intestine undigested.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-06-2007, 09:14 PM
:bang:

Eating before bed is a good idea if your goal is to add muscle.

Bako Lifter
08-06-2007, 09:19 PM
:bang:

Eating before bed is a good idea if your goal is to add muscle.

Can you link a study to this? I know it's true, I just can't explain why.

I just recently had a talk with someone about this but couldn't back up my arguement.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-06-2007, 09:38 PM
You're fasting for 8 hours. Your body repairs itself while you sleep. Most tissue repair occurs during sleep. You need to give your body some fuel for this process. You'll still be using food from that day while you sleep, but it's still a good idea to have a bedtime meal. Some cottage cheese and some nuts or something would be better than a Twinkie before bed. It's not SUPER DUPER important that you eat before bed, but personally...I can't even sleep if I don't eat something before bed. And if I don't eat something and manage to fall asleep, I wake up with the feeling that I haven't eaten in a month.

In retrospect, this is also why breakfast is so important. Breakfast literally means "breaking your fast".

smalls
08-06-2007, 09:50 PM
As already stated, yes. Please search this stuff and educate yourself. I eat moments before going to bed, every night, cutting or bulking.

dudeman1056
08-07-2007, 12:33 AM
so you can eat as late as you want and not gain weight if you work out?

smalls
08-07-2007, 12:35 AM
so you can eat as late as you want and not gain weight if you work out?

You can eat as late as you want and not gain weight if you eat below or at your maintanence calories.

You gain weight when you take in more calories than you burn, period. It really is just math. I have lost 30+lbs in the last 4 months or so eating moments before going to bed. I have also gained 110+lbs prior to that doing the same, just eating more TOTAL CALORIES for the day.

dudeman1056
08-07-2007, 12:39 AM
oh well i know that if u burn more calories than you eat u lose weight but i thought if u ate and then went to bad ur body stored it instead of using the calories

Built
08-07-2007, 12:40 AM
So what if you do? A healthy body stores and retrieves calories all day.

dudeman1056
08-07-2007, 12:42 AM
well its a question for like people trying to lose weight cuz my aunt had a personal trainer and her trainer told her not to eat past 7 or she'll gain the weight and i had trouble believing it.

Built
08-07-2007, 12:46 AM
I always eat at bedtime - especially when I'm cutting.

But then, I weigh my food and preplan my days. On unrestricted calories, if you eliminate eating from a portion of the day, you'll eat less food, and hence, lose weight.

Her trainer sounds like a moron.

dudeman1056
08-07-2007, 12:48 AM
yea hes not even that fit he could be ripped if he lost some flab everywhere but thnx for the info

Outshine
08-07-2007, 07:08 AM
well its a question for like people trying to lose weight cuz my aunt had a personal trainer and her trainer told her not to eat past 7 or she'll gain the weight and i had trouble believing it.

Her personal trainer is a ****ing idiot, as a really good portion of them tend to be.

If you need to eat 3000 calories per day to lose weight, you could eat all 3000 at 10:59pm and then go to bed at 11:00pm and still lose weight just the same.

BBB
08-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Not eating late is just a way of restricting calories. That is all.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
^^

It's also an uncomfortable way of restricting calories. :thumbup:

BBB
08-07-2007, 12:48 PM
^ Agreed.

amarkham
08-07-2007, 01:25 PM
You can eat as late as you want and not gain weight if you eat below or at your maintanence calories.

I know this is true and I do it every night, but I heard that if you eat right before bed it just sits in your stomach while you sleep and turns into fat? Is the person I heard this from just stupid? Then again he also adds 40 lbs on the last set of his bench saying "the last set you have to go really hard" and I end up taking all 40 lbs off while spotting him.

smalls
08-07-2007, 02:07 PM
I know this is true and I do it every night, but I heard that if you eat right before bed it just sits in your stomach while you sleep and turns into fat? Is the person I heard this from just stupid? Then again he also adds 40 lbs on the last set of his bench saying "the last set you have to go really hard" and I end up taking all 40 lbs off while spotting him.

Not necassarily stupid, just regurgitating what they have heard and have not learned for themselves. Your body burns/utilizes calories all night long, just like throughout the day.

emjlr3
08-07-2007, 10:31 PM
though is it not true that your heart rate, and several other body functions slow during the night, to cope with the lack of calories, as well as to sustain your body in a sort of chill state(for lack of a better analogy, sort of like how bears can hibernate for months and survive, however to a much lesser degree)

therefore, it would lead me to believe that you do burn less calories while you sleep, however eating late may help to avoid as large of a drop

smalls
08-08-2007, 01:45 AM
though is it not true that your heart rate, and several other body functions slow during the night, to cope with the lack of calories, as well as to sustain your body in a sort of chill state(for lack of a better analogy, sort of like how bears can hibernate for months and survive, however to a much lesser degree)

therefore, it would lead me to believe that you do burn less calories while you sleep, however eating late may help to avoid as large of a drop

Burn less calories than what though, watching tv, working at a desk? Not many. . . and as you said eating itself has a thermogenic effect.

Just as has already been pointed out by others in this thread, your eating one meal and then go many hours without eating. That food has twice as long to be utilized as most other meals (considering you eat every 3-4 hours) so that alone will compensate for the slightly lowered metabolic rate.

At the end of the day the calorie is king, that should be the focus. IMO.

ProteinMonster
08-08-2007, 10:02 AM
ppl need to seperate body building diets from regular diets.
there is a difference. if u wanna build muscle it is recommended you drink a protein shake before bed or wake up in the middle of the night and drink one.
body builders burn and use more protein and calories than one who doesnt workout as hard. we are building, not trying to lose or maintain.
also with the 40-45 grams of protein for each sitting, that depends on the size of the person. i take a minimum of 50grams a sitting. bigger you are more you can handle.

mikey4402
08-08-2007, 10:20 AM
there is a difference. if u wanna build muscle it is recommended you drink a protein shake before bed or wake up in the middle of the night and drink one.
body builders burn and use more protein and calories than one who doesnt workout as hard. we are building, not trying to lose or maintain.
the only differnt between a bulking and a regular diet (maintain) is the the nummber of calories needed, thats it.

i wouldnt suggest waking up in the middle of the night to feed. if you happen to wake up then sure why dont down a shake.

also with the 40-45 grams of protein for each sitting, that depends on the size of the person. i take a minimum of 50grams a sitting.bigger you are more you can handle.
not true.

And you should worry about how much per sitting, just worry about your macros.

the x amount of protien at a time thing is bull

1-1.5 grams of protien per lbs of lbm

ProteinMonster
08-08-2007, 11:00 AM
the only differnt between a bulking and a regular diet (maintain) is the the nummber of calories needed, thats it.

i wouldnt suggest waking up in the middle of the night to feed. if you happen to wake up then sure why dont down a shake.

not true.

And you should worry about how much per sitting, just worry about your macros.

the x amount of protien at a time thing is bull

1-1.5 grams of protien per lbs of lbm

i disagree, i only agree with "1.5 grams of protein per lbs."
"i guess its different strokes for different folks"

Kong
08-08-2007, 11:04 AM
If you dont eat before bed you get lepracy

mikey4402
08-08-2007, 12:35 PM
i disagree, i only agree with "1.5 grams of protein per lbs."
"i guess its different strokes for different folks"
its per lbs of lean body mass....its just a guidline

then what do you believe?

growthrep
08-08-2007, 01:30 PM

Certainly!

smalls
08-08-2007, 05:32 PM

No one should be talking about "regular diet" on a bodybuilding discussion board. We are all talking about diets aimed at gaining or maintaining muscle. Which is why pretty much everyone will agree that eating at regular intervals is a good thing. But total overal calories are going to make or break your goals.

mickyjune26
08-09-2007, 12:37 PM
bedtime eating article - http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=183
one of many WBB protein articles - http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=158

Read up on the articles in WBB. good stuff.