PDA

View Full Version : How do you increase your arm strength for throwing a baseball?

yankeekd25
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I have never been on a travel baseball team or any all-star teams so I haven't had any coaches tell me this. How do you increase the strength of your throwing arm? My arm is a little weak.... Now I'm sure not all of it is bicep curls and tricep extensions... Is there something I can do to better the overall throwing strength of my arm?

redFury
08-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Throwing a baseball (I assume you mean pitching) is a complex movement. Your lats, core, shoulders, chest, legs, etc all contribute to pitching. Outside of doing wbb1 (in your sig). You just need to get out and throw... so that your body learns how to take advantage of the strength you've built up.

yankeekd25
08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Throwing a baseball (I assume you mean pitching) is a complex movement. Your lats, core, shoulders, chest, legs, etc all contribute to pitching. Outside of doing wbb1 (in your sig). You just need to get out and throw... so that your body learns how to take advantage of the strength you've built up.

I'm not a pitcher, so no not pitching. Just throwing a runner out from SS, or OF or something. I should update my sig. I'm actually doing Wbb1.1 but I get what your saying.

mikey4402
08-06-2007, 08:15 PM
throwing is more mechanics then strenght. the hardest throwers arnt always the strongest guys. thats said just work on your over all strenght. and practice throwing a baseball

BFGUITAR
08-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I would say snatches and cleans. This will help you build explosive power, what you need to throw a baseball.

D Breyer
08-07-2007, 12:12 AM
First, get your squat heavier than your bench.

yankeekd25
08-07-2007, 09:16 AM
First, get your squat heavier than your bench.

Those numbers aren't accurate. I haven't tested my max in a long time.

Al3X
08-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Mechanics is the strength of your throw. Other than practicing throwing work on: core, shoulder, bi/tri, wrist, and your rc.

backseatwitme13
08-15-2007, 09:18 PM

:withstupi

pbal17
08-15-2007, 09:41 PM
if you are very serious about throwing faster, you need to just do it. jose reyes is tiny and has a cannon. throwing a baseball might be one of the most perfect examples of human mechanics. also, look at football...id like to see ray lewis or sean merriman throw 80 yards yet they are MUCH stronger than jay cutler (not the bodybuilder, the broncos qb)

Itsnotaboutme
08-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Alright well I have asked this at many baseball camps I have been to. I had the strength and conditioning coach at Georgia Tech tell me this. Throwing isn't really strength, ALTHOUGH strength does play a huge part in this, it is more mechanics. If you are looking to get your arm stronger focus on your rotator cuff. Anytime you hit the weight room work your rotator cuff. Also biceps, triceps and chest don't play a huge part in throwing. The majority of your power in throwing comes from your core down. Don't focus on getting a huge bench focus more on squat and abs. Your legs provide the majority of your power in throwing.

pm me and I'll see if I can get you some of the rotator cuff exercises that I do.

Btw if you are wondering. I have been playing baseball for 12 years now. Also I have a former MLB pitcher helping me with throwing and such. I play pitcher and first base.

big ol' boy
08-19-2007, 01:53 PM
You could talk to a jr high track coach and get a shot put. They are about the same size as a base ball but I think they weigh about 4 lbs. Throw that for a while and it might make it easier to throw a baseball since it's lighter.

edit: After I typed this I remembered that I have a shot put from jr high. I tried it and will never do it again. Hurt like a mother****er. Please don't take my advice, cause I'm a tard.

Leeman
08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
You could talk to a jr high track coach and get a shot put. They are about the same size as a base ball but I think they weigh about 4 lbs. Throw that for a while and it might make it easier to throw a baseball since it's lighter.

Sounds like it would work.

But I have a feeling it wont agree with his shoulders or elbows. Alot of akward stress being placed on your rotator cuffs by doing this.

Itsnotaboutme
08-19-2007, 06:55 PM
You wouldn't want to throw around a 4lb ball. They have weighted balls for sale. Or you could make your own. Just get a tennis ball and cut a slit just big enough for some pennies to fit in and then put some pennies in there. It works pretty good. Although when throwing a WELL used ball I have had pennies hit me in the face.

Adam
08-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Don't through a 4lbs weight if you want to through a baseball better.
The heavier ball will cause your form to change.
As said about, if you really want to go heavier make a vary sllight weight adjustment.

Hazerboy
08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah I'd stay away weighted balls, you might get stronger but it would throw your whole mechanics off which would take awhile to get back.

For instance, if you were a bowler and used a 25/30 lb ball instead of a 15 lb ball you would probably get a lot stronger in the bicep/wrist/back and all the other muscles you use to bowl. HOWEVER, the minute you went back to your usual ball EVERYTHING would be off-- the release, the amount of spin, etc. Same thing with pitching.

chopsticks
08-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Roger clemmons endorsed a product I can't remember the name but I used it in highschool and it definitely helped with my arm strength, just remember its not just muscle that makes you throw hard it's form and flexibility.

chopsticks
08-22-2007, 01:36 PM
But if you want distance on your bat, hit the weights!!!

shootermcgavin7
08-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Long. Toss.

Don't use weighted balls.

If you want to get better at throwing a baseball, eventually you're going to have to throw a baseball.

Often.

Decker87
08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
If you want to get better at throwing a baseball, eventually you're going to have to throw a baseball.

Often.

Quoted For Truth