PDA

View Full Version : complex circuits for muscle building

maximus0716
08-06-2007, 07:47 PM
I came across this article on Testosterone Nation that uses complex's for fat loss. I've tried them for a week and a half now, and absolutely love them. Personally I feel they pack a lot of metabolic work into a short period of time, which is great because I like to get in the gym, get through my workout pronto, and be out.

My question is, if I eat as if I was bulking or simply trying to pack on lean muscle rather, but do these complexes at a challenging weight, will they work for building muscle? Or are they simply designed to do metcon type work and burn up fat?

Of course, I would supplement in other exercises after the complexes to round out my routine, and make sure I didn't miss any muscle groups.

Thoughts? Ideas?

P.S. I'm not allowed to post links yet, so I guess I'll just post a sample of the routine:

The weight used is the heaviest weight you can use on the weakest exercise of the group. Do one set of 5 reps per exercise, then immediately move onto the next exercise (no rest) performing another 5 reps until you stormed through the whole complex. Repeat 4 times, with 90 seconds rest between complex's. This is for week one, as the weeks go on, reps get higher, and rest times go down.

Complex A

Bent Over Barbell Row

Hang Clean

Front Squat + Push Press Hybrid

Jump Squat (bar on back)

Good Morning

Complex B

Romanian Deadlift

Hang Clean + Front Squat + Push Press (combo lift perform one rep of each in series)

Reverse Lunge (alternate legs)

maximus0716
08-07-2007, 06:17 AM
did I post in the wrong forum? or is there a way I could have searched for this?

don't mean to be pushy, i just saw 11 views and no replies.

any help?

andy51
08-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Complexes are good in my opinion for building conditioning and GPP. On the other hand, I dont think that they are good for basing sport training on. If you are more worried about muscle building and more body building type results post in that forum. I have limited knowledge to post on how complexes may effect you there.

maximus0716
08-07-2007, 11:46 AM
its not so much body building as overall athletic performance. i'm a weekend warrior in various sports, and i'm looking to stay as lean and athletic as possible while adding a little more lean mass to me.

235orbust
08-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I love complexs, great way to raise the intensity and pump you get from your workouts, not too many others on this site do tho...

If you want more of a response post this in the bodybuilding forum, this is a technique of training so it should be OK

Relentless
08-08-2007, 04:51 AM
so, basically, you're doing crossfit with a different name?

maximus0716
08-08-2007, 07:59 AM
so, basically, you're doing crossfit with a different name?

something very similar, my gym is one of those overcrowded, take a number to use a machine types...but the equipment is good, its 3 blocks from my house, and i'm rate-locked at an awesome price--so i stick with it.

that being said about my gym, i can't usually hord the various equipment pieces, or switch back and forth between them as quickly as crossfit would "like". with these complex's i use one barbell (the heavest barbell my weakest exercise in the group of the day can handle) and storm thru like a champ.

i already know i am getting a great metabolic workout doing this and obviously i'm working my muscles...but my question was if i up my calories with muscle building in mind (clean and proper of course) will i be able to add on lean muscle doing this?

Anthony
08-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Complexes are awesome. We mostly use them for conditioning, but depending on where you are in terms of strength/muscle mass, they may also do a great job at packing some muscle on your frame (provided you eat enough).

maximus0716
08-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Complexes are awesome. We mostly use them for conditioning, but depending on where you are in terms of strength/muscle mass, they may also do a great job at packing some muscle on your frame (provided you eat enough).

Yea i'm pretty low on the totem pole as far as muscle goes, i'm coming off of dropping ~65 pounds in about a year and a half. I'm 5'7" and I went from 205 to currently 142lbs. I'm sure I lost a fair amount of muscle doing this so I wanted to add on a good amount of lean muscle mass as well as fill out the small amount of loose skin i have from the process.