PDA

View Full Version : Stuffing food in your face?

Cards
08-07-2007, 03:29 PM
One thing I notive on this website is everyone calling for everyone to eat way more food. This is obviously one part of growing. When you work out your muscle fibers tear and inorder to repair and grow the body will need an excess amount of calories compaired to what the body normaly takes in. My question is this.

Isnt the body, being an extremely sophisticated system, able to tell how much food it's going to need to repair it self and grow, and isn't stuffing food down your throat after you've already ate to the point where you're no longer hungry to "Bulk" just putting on water and excess fat. I mean honestly. When the body tells you it's not hungry any more, isn't that the point in which it has reached its max, and if not wont you just be hungry later.

So I guess my point is, arn't all the excess cals in bulking just being stored as fat.

Questor
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I'd like to think so. But that doesn't seem to be the way it works, in my experience. I need to EAT in order to gain. In fact right now I'm going to choke down another boring spoon of peanut butter. I hate peanut butter. But if I don't, there's no way I'll gain.

I have a years worth of caloric data which suggests that, at least for my own body, I need to overeat in order to gain.

Decker87
08-07-2007, 04:34 PM
It would be nice if the body used exactly what it needed and nothing more, but that simply isn't true.

If your dad said "here is some money for poker and for groceries" and gave you $500, you might go spend $100 on poker and $400 on groceries. If he gives you $1000, you might spend $400 on poker and $600 on groceries. Do you see what I am getting at?

Cards
08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
so basically the body may not use all the resouces to create muscle but do other things as well, so most people "bulk" inorder to feed the growth of all the muscle? even if this includes more fat/water

Questor
08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
It's really this simple:

eat big + lift = get bigger

eat small + lift = get smaller

That's the beauty of what God has given us.

oh and watch the carbs

Cards
08-07-2007, 04:48 PM
I understand that, my question was about bulking

Questor
08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
That's the eat big part.

Yeah you accept the fact that you're going to get some bf along with it.

Read more threads maybe?

Questor
08-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Okay, so maybe this answers your question

I'm going to be serious now.

Without going into a five page dissertation. I'm tired. That's too much, and I really don't know all the technical **** anyway.

Eating only what sates you, after a workout, may be enough to make you grow slowly. It may be enough only to maintain you. It may not be enough, and you may actually loose muscle and fat at the same time. Depends I suppose on what you eat when you respond to hunger pangs.

Notice the best possibility there is 'you may grow slowly'.

There are people who study their maintenance calories, know what their maintenance is, eat that, and lift. They will gain muscle slowly, but with little gain in fat.

There are people who would rather gain muscle faster, irregardless of fat. They eat MORE than they WANT TO. Now you grow quickly (relatively).

Later these latter people typically cut. Which should IMHO be HIIT. In this way, they attempt to remove fat without removing too much muscle.

Or we could have just left it simple at

eat big + lift = get bigger
eat small + lift = get smaller

Biggins
08-07-2007, 05:29 PM
The human body doesnt want to be big.Thats why you have people force feeding themselves to grow.There is no use for all the muscle we want except for looks.So your appetite is te,ling you to stop eating as it has enuff to sustain you.

Of course people with screwed hormones are a different story.

ddegroff
08-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Well usually the eat big thing starts with someone complaining they arn't gaining, and it's easy to say eat more. Most of the real big lean guys eat tons everyday just to maintain, so to be big you need to eat big.

Sometimes this can get a screwy. For example if you are already eating a lot but not tracking your cals. Then you add too much more food thats a great way to get fat quickly.

So you're right when you say the body knows when it's has enough cals and the rest go to fat. But digestion/absorption lasts much longer than a few hours.

I suggest you start reading, everything on here. Now...

Cards
08-07-2007, 06:18 PM
I already have read, everything on here. I had a question that I felt the site didn't answer. All the site says in basic terms is eat to grow big. It's doesnt discuss the actualy effect and why. Yeah the body wants to grow as a unit, Yeah you need to eat big, the bigger you get the more weight you can move the bigger your muscle, but what you just explained isnt part of the site, nor does this site discuse the basic mechanics of the human body. So, thank you for everyones imput on my question, but i'm not to happy with the read everything remark...

Decker87
08-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Don't take it personally. Most people here (and anywhere) are normal people who don't have the mental energies to answer in-depth questions or questions they feel are too obvious.

dudeman1056
08-07-2007, 06:57 PM
i have a question i lift during school cuz one of my classes is weight lifting and i also box but this summer i havent lifted at all and i was wondering if i could get bigger with just boxing alone.

ddegroff
08-08-2007, 08:27 PM
I already have read, everything on here.

I've been here for over two years and haven't read everything. Keep reading and reading.

i have a question i lift during school cuz one of my classes is weight lifting and i also box but this summer i havent lifted at all and i was wondering if i could get bigger with just boxing alone

Read previous answer. Then read...

shazoo123
08-08-2007, 08:40 PM
the body doesnt WANT to necessarily grow. it wants to stay at a certain bodyweight that is usually predetermined through genetics and other factors. your right, the brain is smart, so smart that its trying to play you in not letting you gain any mass. in order for it to grow you must force-feed your muscles more than what it normally allows to do so.

Ramstein85
08-09-2007, 10:44 AM
What i am doing at the moment is more fo a 'clean' bulk and i have accepted the fact that it might take longer to grow. but im not 'clean bulking' strictly or cause i want to (contradicting myself i know). Basically i always have to meet my daily protein + calory gains. I dont really calculate the fat factor. Some days i eat the equivalent of 4800 calories, 180 gram of protein, 432 gram carbs, 270 grams of fat at others it can be 3400 calories, 176 gram Protein, 350 gram carbs, 110 gram fat. Dont worry about the 'fat' factor now if yo uare bulking. Bulk but then cut and trust its easier to lose the fat later than you think ( at least im hoping so) by maintaing high protein diet with lesser fat/carbs.

BTW dont take anything i say as necessarily true cause i just starting lifting weights like ten days ago. :O

IZich
08-09-2007, 11:22 AM
In fact right now I'm going to choke down another boring spoon of peanut butter. I hate peanut butter.

Don't make me hurt you. :drooling:

Questor
08-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Don't make me hurt you. :drooling:

I did a 'back of the napkin' calculation, based on my rate of pb consumption.

At that time I had consumed something like 25 jars of peanut butter in about six months.

How much of my body, I wonder, is pb?

If I were to go by weight, could I say that my left arm is made of pb?

mickyjune26
08-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I already have read, everything on here. I had a question that I felt the site didn't answer. All the site says in basic terms is eat to grow big. It's doesnt discuss the actualy effect and why. Yeah the body wants to grow as a unit, Yeah you need to eat big, the bigger you get the more weight you can move the bigger your muscle, but what you just explained isnt part of the site, nor does this site discuse the basic mechanics of the human body. So, thank you for everyones imput on my question, but i'm not to happy with the read everything remark...

Have you had a chance to read some WBB articles? The following two start to explain why. There are many others which go in more depth, explaining why you need to eat and when, jumping into insulin-sensitivity and such:

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=177
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=179
Please forgive the title. It's not necessarily about MASSIVE eating, but rather when and how much to eat.

Here's a good one that talks about insulin sensativity (man, i can't spell).
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=185
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=191

Let us know if you've read these before.

Take it easy.