PDA

View Full Version : What is your style of bulking?

235orbust
08-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Ive noticed that there are many different styles people have when it comes to making sure they are getting the needed amount of calories when they bulk. I am curious about how the people of wannabebig go about bulking

I personally eat "clean" eating as much as i can while watching i dont eat to many fatty things

This is also multiple choice, if you use one or more of the techniques

Questor
08-07-2007, 09:13 PM
My spreadsheet is 290 lines long. Each line is a day with:

total calories
saturated fat
unsaturated fat
total carbs
fiber
sugars
protein
weight

So I voted for "count calories".

:)

Bako Lifter
08-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I count my dirty calories. There's no option for that.

Leeman
08-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Eat what you want until you gain to much fat then use carb timeing until you feel comfortable to continue the bulk.

emjlr3
08-07-2007, 10:22 PM
i get enough protein, fats and fiber, while trying to keep my unsaturated fats low, and I aim for a calorie total

my meals are usually planned, and I tend to try and eat as "clean" as I can muster

and in intervals as well

RedSpikeyThing
08-08-2007, 06:15 AM
I count my dirty calories. There's no option for that.

same here

Unreal
08-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Count clean calories by planning out meals to eat every few hours. So options 1,3,4,5.

Cirino83
08-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Option 1: Count cals, carbs, protein, fats

and try to keep it as clean as possible, but not as strict as when cutting.

mikey4402
08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
im 1 and 3 combined

DoUgL@S
08-08-2007, 05:05 PM
All my bulks have involved living like a normal person. The goal was not to bulk, but that is what happened. :(

sharkall2003
08-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Cutting I have two protein shakes and some normal food now. Bulk, 3-4 protein shakes and some normal food. I guess now that I decided to powerlift it's not as important. I want to get stronger and gain muscle. So I eat as clean as I can for my budget. In the end, macros count and I always get atleast 250 grams of protein.

HahnB
08-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Eat what you want until you gain to much fat then use carb timeing until you feel comfortable to continue the bulk.

Or, for those of us who dislike being counter productive, you could just not get fat in the first place:) I do a combination of calorie counting and eating clean.

sharkall2003
08-08-2007, 05:18 PM

I'd hate to break it to you, buddy, but fat is not good, no matter what you're goals are. If you want more leverage, adding quality mass is still the better alternative. I think the slow bulks are the best out there. I'm with Hahn on this.

Leeman
08-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Or, for those of us who dislike being counter productive, you could just not get fat in the first place:) I do a combination of calorie counting, eating clean AND TAKEING STEROIDS. Because I wouldnt leave out the fact that steroids are responsible for a good ammount of the progress I made while clean bulking.

Informative post.

It sounds like you are infering I said to get fat before you cut

Also gaining fat isnt counter productive, because if your gaining fat you know your eating enough to gain muscle and with the fat comes muscle and strength. But then again I guess it takes a certain level of experience to do this.

Leeman
08-08-2007, 05:40 PM
I'd hate to break it to you, buddy, but fat is not good, no matter what you're goals are. If you want more leverage, adding quality mass is still the better alternative. I think the slow bulks are the best out there. I'm with Hahn on this.

I have never realy sat down and had a solid diet for 10 weeks So I cant speak from my own experience wich diet is better. I have however seen people eat clean and try all the newest bodybuilding workouts and make less progress than me.

Im personaly to lazy to take the time to eat super clean Iam definatley willing to gain fat if it will give me more muscle and strength than other people who arent gaining fat tho.

Personal choices I know but this is a opinion thread.

HahnB
08-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Informative post.

It sounds like you are infering I said to get fat before you cut

Also gaining fat isnt counter productive, because if your gaining fat you know your eating enough to gain muscle and with the fat comes muscle and strength. But then again I guess it takes a certain level of experience to do this.

When you said "too fat", it just sounded like a bad idea too me. If you're bulking you will gain some fat, but I would never bulk until I was "too fat".

motoko013
08-08-2007, 06:31 PM
i try to eat as clean as i can...but usually slip every once and awhile and eat crappy food like mcdonalds, pizza, or cookies

ddegroff
08-08-2007, 07:16 PM
I plan meals. I eat the same stuff all the time. So I know how much cals I have.

When I bulk I count cals M-F and then just eat whatever on the weekends.

Outshine
08-09-2007, 02:58 PM
My bulking and cutting is exactly the same. One just has more calories, the other has less.

I know every calorie, every gram of protein/carbs/fat. I eat only clean (which is something I'd do even if I never gave a crap about lifting). I basically eat the same foods as part of the same meals at the sames times... every day. I've done this for years and don't mind it at all.

mickyjune26
08-09-2007, 04:10 PM
The percentages add up to way over 100%. What am I missing here? :)

235orbust
08-09-2007, 06:09 PM
The percentages add up to way over 100%. What am I missing here? :)

you can choose more than one style (if you count calories and eat in intervals, or something of that nature)

SupRsmall
08-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Eat Clean (for the most part) and in intervals.

takes too much time to count calories.

Alex.V
08-11-2007, 05:11 PM
AND TAKEING STEROIDS. Because I wouldnt leave out the fact that steroids are responsible for a good ammount of the progress I made while clean bulking.

Nice passive-aggressive ignorant addition.

Jackass.

Stumprrp
08-13-2007, 11:17 AM
i havent ate clean for the past year, im bigger and stronger, gained maybe 2% BF, but it gets sickning, im going to "clean it up" but not super clean like most of you guys, personally, i dont see a need, your body really isnt that smart guys, if you feed it a lean chicken sandwich on white bread instead of wheat, it really doenst make a difference, its the same calories. you arent going to stop progressing.

however, if you have 2 chicken crispys from wendies, while it might taste good, your body will know that its crap, lol.

235orbust
08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
i havent ate clean for the past year, im bigger and stronger, gained maybe 2% BF, but it gets sickning, im going to "clean it up" but not super clean like most of you guys, personally, i dont see a need, your body really isnt that smart guys, if you feed it a lean chicken sandwich on white bread instead of wheat, it really doenst make a difference, its the same calories. you arent going to stop progressing.

however, if you have 2 chicken crispys from wendies, while it might taste good, your body will know that its crap, lol.

but it still adds up man, like you said you probably gained 2%bf, if your 225 that still about 5 pounds of fat your eventually going to want to get rid of, atleast thats how i see it

tdotteg
08-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Count clean calories by planning out meals to eat every few hours. So options 1,3,4,5.

I'll be doing this come fall. I used to bulk dirty but I wanna stay leaner this time around.

RhodeHouse
08-13-2007, 05:53 PM
As a powerlifter, when I gain weight it's more or less a free for all. I eat clean most of the time. I make sure to get 300-400 grams of protein 5 days a week. On the weekends I try to get 300, but I don't really care. In a weight gain phase, I don't believe you need to worry too much about eating some bad food. Unfortuately, the crap food is usually very calorie dense. In my experience, I've never had a problem with getting too fat because of eating bad food. As long as I train my ass off, I gain very little fat while gaining weight.

What I've found as of late is, a high protein, kinda high fat diet is helping me pack on some size. Truth be told, you really should try every possible way to gain weight/muscle and see what works best for you. Trial and error.