PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift advice...

snow
08-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Video I just took from tonight. I've been lifting now about 4 years and I've never felt I've done deadlift right, despite constantly reading and watching videos. I've never hurt myself, and my back has OK size (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2933054090100269707qTHDvp), but I still feel totally wrong here. Looking for some constructive criticism. Also as a sidenote, I was on an 8-10 reps x 3 routine, but I switched down to 5 reps, so since my form isn't perfect, I know I should be dropping some weight, but I swear even without a bar, my back still bends over at the top a little bit. I don't know... thoughts?

Bako Lifter
08-08-2007, 03:29 AM
What kind of deadlift is that?

It was like a mixture of different kinds.

You're supposed to start off of the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEAFRNSQYqU

Here's how they should be done. See how he sets it down every time?

smokinHawk
08-08-2007, 07:39 AM
lol, there are a few guys at my gym that start from an up position, why i dont know its stupid, they have to come out of the racks walk back then go down, just deadlift heavy all the time.

tdotteg
08-08-2007, 07:50 AM
yeah it's called deadlift for a reason. You're lifting dead weight off the ground. :thumbup:

Clifford Gillmore
08-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Starting at the top is fine, not coming to a complete stop is fine.

KingWilder
08-08-2007, 08:42 AM
it like started as a rack pull and then went into a sumo deadlift

Detard
08-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Looked more like a sumo romainian deadlift starting from the top except you touched the ground with a couple reps.

Sidior
08-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Not everyone needs to pull like a powerlifter. They are many variations of the lift and what he was doing looked very solid.

OP: A little upper back rounding is fine as long as you keep your lower back tight.

redFury
08-08-2007, 10:24 AM
To me, it almost looks like a flexibility issue, because your back stay tight on the way up and on the way down, except for the last 6 inches to the floor. Still, they looked good to me... if you start going any heavier you may be forced to start in the down position. I can't imagine walking out 405 for my sets. :D

Kong
08-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Looked solid. I only have it in the rack to load weight and i have it low then lift down one side at a time before my set. Lifting off the rack like you do will drain some energy that would be better put into trying for an extra rep or heavier weight.

grantus
08-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Your form seems fine. You don't have to lift off the ground when starting and you don't have to set it down each time. It's all about preference IMO.

Detard
08-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Your form seems fine. You don't have to lift off the ground when starting and you don't have to set it down each time. It's all about preference IMO.

To perform a legal deadlift, yes you do.

Twan
08-11-2007, 02:00 AM
To perform a legal deadlift, yes you do.

And if he performs an illegal deadlift in his gym, will his membership be revoked?

Talking_God
08-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Of course it will.

It's not conventional, but I didn't really see anything wrong with it. Like Sidior said, as long as you keep the lower back tight it won't hurt to round a little bit. If you're really worried about it, make sure your shoulders are pulled back and really focus on the arch with some light weight.

sharkall2003
08-11-2007, 07:21 AM
And if he performs an illegal deadlift in his gym, will his membership be revoked?

If you perform deadlifts at the YMCA you'll have your membership revoked...... My friend just had his pulled.

chris mason
08-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Not everyone needs to pull like a powerlifter. They are many variations of the lift and what he was doing looked very solid.

OP: A little upper back rounding is fine as long as you keep your lower back tight.

:thumbup:

mikey4402
08-11-2007, 12:10 PM
If you perform deadlifts at the YMCA you'll have your membership revoked...... My friend just had his pulled.

yeah i got in trouble doing cleans once....the old guy left after he told me that your not allowed to do ol type of lifts. So i was like ok, and moved on to deadlifts. He returned and said "i told you you cant do thouse dangers kind of lifts" :bang: . He then kicked me out.

I ended up talking to the director and now deadlifts are allowed at that YMCA.

BFGUITAR
08-11-2007, 01:31 PM
How are deadlifts dangerous?

I understand, if your doing oly lifts you can fall and hurt someone. But deadlifts... just drop the weight!

Invain
08-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't see a problem with how he's doing it, however I wouldn't consider it a full/normal deadlift. Pulling the weight when it's first resting on the ground is the hardest part, once you get it up and moving the rest of your reps aren't quite as hard as that first motion. I have a feeling if you always trained off a rack like that, you'd be disappointed when you went to lift heavy using normal form.

nhlfan
08-11-2007, 03:12 PM
form on the last couple of reps looked a little sloppy imo.

Detard
08-11-2007, 08:01 PM

Yep it will.