PDA

View Full Version : Too high volume on DE day?

IZich
08-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Here's my routine that I've been following for about 4-5 weeks now. (Basically pretty simple Westside template)

Monday:
DE DL 8x3 @ 55% 1RM
BB-style work (3x8): close-grip chins, T-bar, high pulls

Tuesday:
ME Bench 8x3 @ 80+% 1RM (sometimes go to doubles for the last few sets)
BB-style work (3x8): kneeling pulley crunches, kaz presses, skullcrushers

Wednesday: active recovery (usually on rowing)

Thursday:
ME DL 8x3 @ 80+% 1RM (same as ME bench, sometimes go to doubles)
BB-style work (same as monday)

Friday:
DE Bench 8x3 @ 55% 1RM
BB-style work, same as Tuesday.

BTW, feel free to critique my routine.

My question: If I'm still sore and fatigued by my ME days (even though it's ~3 days after the DE ones of the same exercise), does that mean I need to lighten my load on the DE days, perhaps with less accessory muscle work?

TommyBoy
08-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Here's my routine that I've been following for about 4-5 weeks now. (Basically pretty simple Westside template)

Monday:
DE DL 8x3 @ 55% 1RM
BB-style work (3x8): close-grip chins, T-bar, high pulls

Tuesday:
ME Bench 8x3 @ 80+% 1RM (sometimes go to doubles for the last few sets)
BB-style work (3x8): kneeling pulley crunches, kaz presses, skullcrushers

Wednesday: active recovery (usually on rowing)

Thursday:
ME DL 8x3 @ 80+% 1RM (same as ME bench, sometimes go to doubles)
BB-style work (same as monday)

Friday:
DE Bench 8x3 @ 55% 1RM
BB-style work, same as Tuesday.

BTW, feel free to critique my routine.

My question: If I'm still sore and fatigued by my ME days (even though it's ~3 days after the DE ones of the same exercise), does that mean I need to lighten my load on the DE days, perhaps with less accessory muscle work?
First off, where's your squat? I don't see any squatting. Secondly, speed pulls are usually done for singles with 50-60% for 6-10 sets. Third, Max Effort day is not 8 sets of 3 with 80 %. You pick an exercise and do triples until it gets tough, then you move on to singles and evenutally hit a PR. I think you may have misunderstood the westside template.

drew
08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
What is your goal with that plan? If it's to increase your total in powerlifting, you need to rethink things.

IZich
08-08-2007, 12:28 PM
First off, where's your squat? I don't see any squatting. Secondly, speed pulls are usually done for singles with 50-60% for 6-10 sets. Third, Max Effort day is not 8 sets of 3 with 80 %. You pick an exercise and do triples until it gets tough, then you move on to singles and evenutally hit a PR. I think you may have misunderstood the westside template.

First, thanks a lot for the help. I'll be sure to correct my ME days as well as the speed pulls.

I was definitely confused about how to integrate squats into the Westside program. Should it be part of my DL day as a secondary exercise? Also, any advice whether or not DE days are supposed to be lighter than ME days, not including the main exercise?

Thanks again, I'm always eager to learn.

IZich
08-08-2007, 12:29 PM
What is your goal with that plan? If it's to increase your total in powerlifting, you need to rethink things.

Drew, my goal is to increase my total. I definitely need to rethink things. What are some specific ways you would advise me to change?

Bako Lifter
08-08-2007, 12:37 PM
DE Squat = 10x2 @ ~50%, and you ramp up the % by 5 each week, and then start over. So it would go 50,55,60,50 after four weeks.

DE Bench = 9x3 @ 50-60% preferably with bands. It also says to use three different grips, so 3xwide, 3xmedium, 3xclose... but I'm not sure if a lot of people do that.

DE Deadlift = 6-10x1 @ around 50-60%.

The main thing on all of these is speed. If you're speed isn't good, lower the weight.

On ME days you do what Tommy said. You can work up in triples, once it's too hard, keep working up in singles, and on a good day you should hit a new max.

On accesory work you should go all out, but not neccesarily go to failure. This will allow you to increase your work capacity without "burning out". Use this approach on both ME and DE days. You should strive to PR your accesory movements every workout, that's one of the main principals of Westside and one of the things that makes it so awesome. PRs should be flying everywhere.

Usually people deadlift on DE squat day. Squat is the main movement, deadlift is not. Looks like you have that confused. Also, you shouldn't deadlift every week, you probably already know that. I myself usually sub deadlifts for GMs on DE squat day.

TommyBoy
08-08-2007, 12:51 PM
First, thanks a lot for the help. I'll be sure to correct my ME days as well as the speed pulls.

I was definitely confused about how to integrate squats into the Westside program. Should it be part of my DL day as a secondary exercise? Also, any advice whether or not DE days are supposed to be lighter than ME days, not including the main exercise?

Thanks again, I'm always eager to learn.
No sweat man. Here's a brief synopsis of westside, but bare in mind that the template has changed and can be changed to fit each individual.

DE BP

bench: 8-10 sets of 3 (anywhere from 50-60% of your max)
a tricep exercise
a lat/upper back exercise
a shoulder exercise
a bicep exercise

ME SQ/DL

ME exercise (example: rack pull, gm, low box etc.)
a hamstring exercise
a lower back exercise
an abdominal exercise

ME BP

ME exercise (example: floor press, 2 board, reverse band etc.)
a tricep exercise
a lat/upper back exercise
a shoulder exercise
a bicep exercise

DE SQ

Box Squats: 8-12 sets of 2 reps @ 45-60% of max
a hamstring exercise
a lower back exercise
an abdominal exercise

TommyBoy
08-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Almost forgot, speed pulls are done after speed squats on DE SQ day, and are usually alternated every other week.

IZich
08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Ok sweet Tommy, thanks a lot man. Also thanks Bako, you're right I confused DL with SQ emphasis.

TommyBoy
08-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Ok sweet Tommy, thanks a lot man. Also thanks Bako, you're right I confused DL with SQ emphasis.
Any time brother. Glad I could help.

drew
08-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Tommy pretty much lined it out. A few things I would add though, for your DE bench I would really stick with 135 until your bench starts to move. Also, you may not want to do speed deads yet, it's really up to you. For me I need to pull heavy whenever I pull and it's the only thing that has worked well for me.

Mainly just try some stuff out and see what works for you. Keep in mind it's a LONG process so if you try something and it doesn't work after 4 weeks, stick with it for a few months and then decide whether it is helping or not.

There are a lot of accomplished lifters here (myself NOT included) so don't be afraid to ask questions.

IZich
08-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Tommy pretty much lined it out. A few things I would add though, for your DE bench I would really stick with 135 until your bench starts to move. Also, you may not want to do speed deads yet, it's really up to you. For me I need to pull heavy whenever I pull and it's the only thing that has worked well for me.

Mainly just try some stuff out and see what works for you. Keep in mind it's a LONG process so if you try something and it doesn't work after 4 weeks, stick with it for a few months and then decide whether it is helping or not.

There are a lot of accomplished lifters here (myself NOT included) so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Man you big PLers have been so kind to me, even though it's just online. I'm sure to have tons more questions. I'll be sure to start a powerlifting journal soon, so hopefully you guys will have more info to go off of.

Thanks drew you're the man.

TommyBoy
08-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Man you big PLers have been so kind to me, even though it's just online.
This is part of the brotherhood of powerlifters. You'll find that as you start competing, other lifters will be rooting for you as well. Nobody gives a s*** about 1st place; it's all about putting up huge PR's.