PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here work in an Office? How are your eating habits??

John04Civic
08-08-2007, 10:09 PM
:read: Then you probably know how it is...All the free food, and what not.

I was just curious how you go about keeping your diet on the straight and narrow working a desk job. I'm an accountant and we have some of the worst food ever at our becking call sometimes! I'm trying to develop a plan of lean food to bring to work to eat, but I was hoping to get some ideas from others that have been there or still are there!

John

jostrichm
08-09-2007, 08:57 AM
um, it's called self-control? Who's forcing you to eat what they have there? We have parties almost daily for someone's birthday, etc here at my office and I never eat the cake or whatever. I wish that person a HB and go back to my desk and eat a banana or protein shake or whatever I have. I bring tons of food to work and leave it in the fridge in the breakroom, what's the big deal.

Unreal
08-09-2007, 09:40 AM
We have treat fridays. Every friday someone in my group has to bring in enough treats for everyone. Usualyl donuts, cakes, pies, cookies, and fun stuff like that. I just don't eat it. It is my turn this Friday and I'll bring in a pie or cake, but I won't touch it. The only time I have issues is group lunches that I have to attend. They normally go out for BBQ or burgers. I just try to eat as well as I can when I have to eat out. Other then that I go home every day for lunch and eat a home cooked meal during lunch.

Decker87
08-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I was just curious how you go about keeping your diet on the straight and narrow working a desk job. I'm an accountant and we have some of the worst food ever at our becking call sometimes! I'm trying to develop a plan of lean food to bring to work to eat, but I was hoping to get some ideas from others that have been there or still are there!
You need a snack?
http://a1061.g.akamai.net/7/1061/5412/home/www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/296674.jpg
'Nuff Said.

Guido
08-09-2007, 09:58 AM
^Hell yeah. Peanuts are your best friend. I bring a baggy of them to work every day.

In fact, I'm almost constantly eating at my desk. I usually bring in some beef jerky, yogurt and string cheese (which I keep in the fridge in the break room), and a piece of fruit of some kind along with my bag of nuts. Works out great. I also exercise self-restraint when it comes to birthday cakes, donuts, etc. that people bring in as jostrichm alluded to. I always go home for lunch instead of eating out. The only time I might cave is for certain lunch meetings or at seminars/conferences, but even then I'll try to pick the healthiest foods I can.

Holto
08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Whats cool at my office is everyone goes and picks up lunch and then eats it in our lunch room. So I just put my raw oats in a bowl, add some chocolate whey and start eating.

Kong
08-09-2007, 01:20 PM
I butter up12 slices of brown bread, mix 3 tins of tuna with light mayo and sweetcorn and put it all togethor. I have pistachios as a snack, get a big bag every few days

Kong
08-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Brown bread tends to fill me well, especially if you have some whey aswell

JoeG
08-09-2007, 01:22 PM
:read: Then you probably know how it is...All the free food, and what not.

John

If you eat a small meal every 2-3 hours more often than not you won't ever be really hungry.

If you aren't hungry it isn't that big of a deal what junk is available right?

For example, today there is a ton of ice cream in the fridge here at work. Now ice cream is a big weakness of mine but after eating the good food I brought from home I'm stuffed.

If I ate that ice cream I'd just get sick.

Problem solved.

mickyjune26
08-09-2007, 01:26 PM
I have a huge food storage and have developed a fun reputation for the foods I eat.

Oatmeal cooked
Oatmeal raw, with natty PB, sometimes with fat-free yogurt
snacks = peanuts or almonds
snack on a healthy or semi-healty cereal, like cheerios or frosted mini-wheats
Keep OJ in company fridge, when possible
Tuna ( i have a permanant can opener at work) with some fat-free mayo. Sometimes, I'll eat it on whole wheat bread

I like my work meals. They are the healthiest of the whole day.

Stay away from any white starches and sugar. The company B-Day cakes taste good, but my energy crashes 30 minutes later. The energy low is enough to motivate me not to eat junk food.

oddly enough, my office is literrally connected to the break room. I get to see everything that everyone else eats or gets from the vending machine. A good friend talks about losing weight the fact that he has a "free personal trainer", but everyday he is eating from the vending machine, soda machine, or Ramon Noodles.

growthrep
08-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Every day here something fatty is in the kitchen (today it's a cake). I never eat the stuff they put out. I bring lots of quality food with me and drinks. Like several others mentioned, when you're full you're not tempted by the junk others eat. A good motivator is to observe how fat everyone else is who eats the junk. We are what we eat.

John04Civic
08-09-2007, 06:02 PM
um, it's called self-control? Who's forcing you to eat what they have there? We have parties almost daily for someone's birthday, etc here at my office and I never eat the cake or whatever. I wish that person a HB and go back to my desk and eat a banana or protein shake or whatever I have. I bring tons of food to work and leave it in the fridge in the breakroom, what's the big deal.
Self-Control isn't the issue really, its more like what does everyone bring to work?

I guess I should of adjusted my title.. sorry.

Thank you for the good ideas so far people.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how our fridge is EXTREMELY overpacked. It seems we only have 1 fridge for 40 people.. I'm liking the Peanuts idea though:)

Cut150
08-09-2007, 06:46 PM
You could consider this if you want to take a few things that will require being cooled.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=17061

Alex.V
08-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Peanuts will make you just as fat as donuts.

SpecialK
08-09-2007, 09:04 PM
I always bring oats and ON 100% whey - cheap and effective.

Jorge Sanchez
08-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Plan your eating properly and it shouldn't be an issue. As someone else mentioned, the only problem (for me, at least) are the group lunches, which can be crucial for networking purposes. But I'm not going pro so a couple of lunches out here and there won't kill me.

Decker87
08-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Plan your eating properly and it shouldn't be an issue. As someone else mentioned, the only problem (for me, at least) are the group lunches, which can be crucial for networking purposes. But I'm not going pro so a couple of lunches out here and there won't kill me.

This is what happens to me. Ultimately, when that exec says "here, try this!" that is when you make the decision of which comes first: your job or your body.

cphafner
08-10-2007, 12:53 AM
there was always a supply of oatmeal and protein in my desk. Pack your lunched. And your done.

Unreal
08-10-2007, 07:44 AM
I just brought in 24 costco muffins for the office since it was my day to provide the junk food. They look really good but I hit a new year low weight today so that just motivates me to stay on the diet.

live2lift
08-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Peanuts will make you just as fat as donuts.

I think I'll take my chances with the peanuts. I like what someone said earlier in this thread about if you need motivation not to eat the sweets just look at the people who are eating them.

Decker87
08-10-2007, 08:27 AM
I just brought in 24 costco muffins for the office since it was my day to provide the junk food. They look really good but I hit a new year low weight today so that just motivates me to stay on the diet.

Congratulations!

Alex.V
08-10-2007, 04:43 PM
I think I'll take my chances with the peanuts. I like what someone said earlier in this thread about if you need motivation not to eat the sweets just look at the people who are eating them.

I'm simply saying that using a high calorie snack as a tool to fight cravings isn't the best idea.

samj
08-10-2007, 05:24 PM
wheres the nutrition in donuts?

Unreal
08-10-2007, 05:25 PM
The nutrition is the happiness they bring to your soul.

cphafner
08-10-2007, 05:39 PM

Sounds like a crappy place to work? They make you bring in junk food? I used to offer protein powder to everyone. Noone would ever offer me junk.

Alex.V
08-10-2007, 06:08 PM
wheres the nutrition in donuts?

When it comes to diet, you're weird. You're not allowed to talk in these threads.

John04Civic
08-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey guys I took your advice and bought some things for the office.

1. Protein Powder (low carb, 23g per scoop)
2. Quaker Oats (regular, no flavor)
3. Unsalted Peanuts
4. 1/2 gallon water jug
5. Tuna

Lunch was a cinch too! I made oatmeal, put a scoop of protein powder in there and dug in! Tasted pretty good too.

cphafner
08-10-2007, 07:10 PM
4. 1/2 gallon water jug

That should be gone by noon of the 1st day.

Alex.V
08-10-2007, 10:34 PM
That should be gone by noon of the 1st day.

The cool thing is that you can refill them. Really.

mickyjune26
08-11-2007, 09:39 AM
man, it's easy to not drink enough water at the office. On the other hand, i've done web-based training sessions where i have to tell people "i'll be back in 5 minutes" while i have a bathroom break.