PDA

View Full Version : corn sugar as post-workout dextrose source?

mickyjune26
08-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi all,
I thought that I read that dextrose is changed to glucose the fastest, feeding your muscles sooner than any other carb. Because of that, I've been taking corn sugar (pure dextrose), mixed with water.

I take 1 protein scoop of corn sugar mixed with a liter of water during my workout. It seems to get me through the lifts.

After the workout, I take 2 more scoops of corn sugar + 2 - 3 scoops of protein powder.

After that, I eat a good meal with complex carbs, good fats and protein.

My concern - I've never seen anyone else do or talk about this. Maybe I missed something?

Thoughts?

Unreal
08-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Tons of people supplement dextrose. Dilute protein/dex shake during workout then more potent one after is a common thing. Sounds like you have it down.

mickyjune26
08-09-2007, 01:48 PM
I need to learn the difference between dextrose and maltodextrose (maybe it's maltodextrin...). Most sports drinks contain the latter, instead of dextrose.

greekboy80
08-09-2007, 02:04 PM
^, nah most sports drinks use HFCS as the main ingrediant(powerade) or 2nd ingrediant(gatorade).

mickyjune26
08-09-2007, 05:11 PM
That sucks.

Optimum08
08-09-2007, 05:28 PM
^, nah most sports drinks use HFCS as the main ingrediant(powerade) or 2nd ingrediant(gatorade).

this is why if you can't get pure dex or malto then you need to get powerade or gatorade POWDER which is made up mostly of dextrose/malto.

shazoo123
08-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi all,
I thought that I read that dextrose is changed to glucose the fastest,

dextrose is glucose, so your good.

greekboy80
08-10-2007, 09:05 AM
this is why if you can't get pure dex or malto then you need to get powerade or gatorade POWDER which is made up mostly of dextrose/malto.

Agreed...I buy bulk Giant Pixy Sticks from Sams Club or Costo and mix two in water for the PWO drink. It's pure Dex and actually tastes pretty good(with seperate whey shake too).

Built
08-10-2007, 10:54 AM
I need to learn the difference between dextrose and maltodextrose (maybe it's maltodextrin...). Most sports drinks contain the latter, instead of dextrose.

Malto is a glucose polymer - but the bonds are so weak it breaks down into glucose very easily. The most significant difference between them for our purposes is taste: malto is only just barely sweet, glucose is cloyingly so. Sports drinks use malto and dex for reasons of osmolality (tummy bloat etc). Unless you're running a marathon, this really isn't much of concern.

That being said, if you don't like the taste of an uber-sweet shake, you can get maltodextrin at beer-and-wine-making supplies. The one I picked up last time was sold as "Brew Body" - a beer conditioner.

mickyjune26
08-11-2007, 09:23 AM
awesome, all.

I laughed at the pixy sticks idea. I'll check into that. :)

After the number of weird protein shakes i've had, my taste buds are toast. I could drink a dirt shake, and it wouldn't phase me.

ECS
08-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Honey is another solid option, mix it with nitrean for a very good tasting drink or just take it down whole.

mickyjune26
08-11-2007, 08:40 PM
I love honey, but the following WBB articles states:
Fructose: also known as fruit sugar, is the sweetest naturally occurring sugar, estimated to be twice as sweet as sucrose (see below). Fructose is absorbed slower than glucose because of its lengthy metabolic pathway in the liver. As such it has often been recommended to not use fructose as a main source of CHO post-training to replenish glycogen stores.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=270

I wonder when fructose is appropriate? Scratch that, I'll look it up on a thread/article.

greekboy80
08-13-2007, 09:05 AM
^ I would try to get dex or malto pwo. Fructose is probably best pre-workout, where it could help fuel your lifts or cardio sessions.

RhodeHouse
08-13-2007, 06:58 PM
I've tried malto, dextrose, and A large shake from McD's for post workout. I think the most important thing is to get 4-1 carbs to protein after your workout. In my extensive testing, I've never noticed any differences.