PDA

View Full Version : Who loves beans? Can I still eat my chili

turin39789
08-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Texans prepare to be offended - my chili is mostly beans.

I'm starting to track what I eat and I am trying to decide if my handy old chilli recipe from my childhood will be allowed to stay.

It's basically 6 cans of beans(3 chilli seasoned and the other three either plain kidney, black beans, pinto beans or a combination thereof), a package of ground beef(I'm using ground chicken or turkey and sometimes I do double meat), an onion or two, some tomatos, green peppers, jalepenos, any other peppers I can find and some spices. We made it to feed a family and I usually keep it in this proportion and eat it for a week.

It seems like it would get the ok on the protein front as long as I leave out the cheese and crackers I would normally add. Is this a horrible recipe to be eating?

sharkall2003
08-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Chili is very good for you. Beans/legumes: good carbs, fiber, high protein content for a vegetable. Meat: if you keep it lean beef (93/7, 90/10) sirloin you'll be good. Cheese is good too. Just not too much. Too much saturated fats, then. Really, a big bowl of chili sounds very good.

method115
08-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Try making your own beans instead of using canned ones. It's harder to do but it will make it that much healthier for you.

I still haven't been able to steer away from canned beans :mad:. It's just so hard to cook raw beans mainly the seasoning and cooking at the right temperature.

turin39789
08-09-2007, 05:27 PM
great! I manage to work up an appetite for this stuff even in the summer, better in the winter though. I've got fresh bells, poblano's and jalapenos ready to come out of the garden.

I mean to make it with raw beans every time, but I get lazy. I have a bag or two sitting in there, but it's hard. One of these days though.

I've always used the leanest beef available, or ground pork. I'm still trying to sort out this whole diet thing. I need to eat 25 grams of protein at exactly 8:42 am, first carbs of the dat at 9:30 pm, with 6 grams of fat at noon and ......

It's driving me mad!

kate
08-09-2007, 05:55 PM
YUM...i love beans esp in chilli con carne! my usual sunday night dinner treat...mmmmmmmmm

method115
08-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Use ground turkey it works great.

KingWilder
08-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I agree with method, ground turkey is awesome

I like eating beans with some marinara sauce and garlic salt.....ugghhh, I can't wait for my bulk

getfit
08-12-2007, 06:47 AM
cold bean salad,especially red kidney beans or black eyed beans.

North
08-29-2007, 03:26 PM
If you hunt deer meat is good in chili; atleast the only time i've had it. But really chili is good any way you eat it.

mary123
09-06-2007, 01:13 AM
I love it very much. I think it's still good for you.

getfit
09-06-2007, 03:19 AM
If you hunt deer meat is good in chili; atleast the only time i've had it. But really chili is good any way you eat it.

my bf loves deer meat.I'm going to tell him this recipe.

North
09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
^ deer jerky is to die for too, especially if you get it done by a real place and not store bought ****.

getfit
09-07-2007, 03:23 AM
^ deer jerky is to die for too, especially if you get it done by a real place and not store bought ****.

I'm going to have to mention this to him as well.Thanks.

Unreal
09-07-2007, 10:19 AM
As for if chili has a place in your diet, figure that out. Only issue I see is it is calorie dense. Portions to keep calories at a sane level have to be fairly small.