PDA

View Full Version : for explosive conditioning

crazedwombat
08-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I've moved out to san fran and have starting training MMA full time. I've realized how weak I am and am starting early on my core and heart conditioning. Right now I have two options. I live in a 30 story high rise and there's a bike path next to the bay right where I live. I can either run or do stairs..which would be the best?

I'm leaning towards stairs since lately we're doing a lot of bjj and wrestling techniques and the crouch is killing my quads and hams and they need building quick. at this point I dont care about weight since I'm training for heavyweight. Should I stick to running or go for stairs? Obviously the best choice is varying both but I want to focus on one and use the other to supplement the primary.

McVein
08-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Youll find that the best conditioning for bjj is just rolling as much as you can, but outside of that, HIIT, if youre going for a run, better make it a 5 minute hiit session than a 20 minute jog.

What are you doing for your standup game?

Maki Riddington
08-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Stairs.

Al3X
08-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Stairs definitely. I would agree with the comment on HIIT. 5-10 minutes compared to 1-2 mile jog...

ericg
08-14-2007, 11:39 AM
I think you answered your own question with your thread title. Go with explosive conditioning, If you are going to run on a flat surface or up stairs, do it explosively. HIIT seems like the way to go. Maybe try to put together some complexes, or try one of the metcon workouts on CrossFits site.

Chubrock
08-15-2007, 08:20 PM
What really helped out my ability to maintain a good posture was to work from the crouched position A LOT. I would do a lot of body weight squats in which I was in my crouched position, one foot in front of the other and then alternate. Mainly what it boiled down to was a lot of met con work geared solely to maintaining the crouched position.

crazedwombat
08-28-2007, 12:10 PM
I joined a gym across the street and apparently one of the guys that works with/sets up stuff on crossfit works there. Through him I've hired a strength and conditioning coach.

OceanFit
09-04-2007, 11:44 AM
I've moved out to san fran and have starting training MMA full time. I've realized how weak I am and am starting early on my core and heart conditioning. Right now I have two options. I live in a 30 story high rise and there's a bike path next to the bay right where I live. I can either run or do stairs..which would be the best?

I'm leaning towards stairs since lately we're doing a lot of bjj and wrestling techniques and the crouch is killing my quads and hams and they need building quick. at this point I dont care about weight since I'm training for heavyweight. Should I stick to running or go for stairs? Obviously the best choice is varying both but I want to focus on one and use the other to supplement the primary.

Hey Man, glad to hear you are going for it! Where are you training at? The bay area has some of the best in the country, if not the world.

What about hills? For me, stairs hurt my knees. San Fran has a lot of hills right?

If I were there I would probably do hills and mix in a recovery run once a week.

Are you sure you want to build your legs or just increase stamina? Have you tried wall sits?