PDA

View Full Version : Week supply of chicken

beachmuscles
08-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Can someone help me figure this out? I'd rather cook just once a week.

Usually on Sunday I make about 6 lbs of chicken (about 12-13 breast halves) I usually use them all up by the 4th day, and than after that I'll toss it if there is anything left.

How do I make it last the full week Sun-Sat atleast? I tried freezing a few and defrosting in the fridge and it seemed to take alot longer than I expected.

Can someone give me a routine of how to make it so I have chicken for the whole week? I usually have about 2 pieces a day.

KingWilder
08-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Not really sure if there is any other way to make it last other than what you said. Most cooked chicken goes bad (from what I've read/seen) after 3-4 days.

It might be a tad more expensive (or not...if you're throwing cooked chicken away), but why not just buy two 6 packs of chicken and cook one on Sunday and the other later in the week?

MrWebb78
08-10-2007, 01:12 PM
yeah cooked chicken on sunay will be bad by friday/saturday for sure.

just cook twice a week, sunday and thrusday.

jamrock
08-10-2007, 01:14 PM
The most obvious solution is to make the chicken on Sun and Wed/Thurs. You probably have a good reason to not do this.. I've had chicken that's been in a fridge a week, it's fine but I keep my fridge on the coldest setting...my beverages are always icy/frosty..

jamrock
08-10-2007, 01:15 PM
yeah cooked chicken on sunay will be bad by friday/saturday for sure.

just cook twice a week, sunday and thrusday.

How'd you do that!? ;)

ArmandSV
08-10-2007, 01:16 PM
i do the same thing

cook on sunday and eat it, monday through friday

for the weekends, I go to fish, just to add variety, costco has frozen fish that is individually wrapped and microwavable to cook, I haven't tried it yet (tapia sp? is the fish) but I have heard that it tastes awesome (on this board) and sounds like it couldn't be any easier

for this weekend I got costco's fresh salmon filet, and will be baking it with cajun dry rub, mmmm

KingWilder
08-10-2007, 01:19 PM
talapia IS awesome

jamrock
08-10-2007, 01:34 PM
i do the same thing

cook on sunday and eat it, monday through friday

for the weekends, I go to fish, just to add variety, costco has frozen fish that is individually wrapped and microwavable to cook, I haven't tried it yet (tapia sp? is the fish) but I have heard that it tastes awesome (on this board) and sounds like it couldn't be any easier

for this weekend I got costco's fresh salmon filet, and will be baking it with cajun dry rub, mmmm

very non fishy fish. it's a little softer than properly broiled chicken breast, and taste pretty bland for a fish...cod? (hence why its soo good) they had a sale at costco the other day I have 15lbs in my freezer.. wife is like what the fooook?

cphafner
08-10-2007, 01:36 PM
I cook on Sundays and Wednesdays. Buy 6 lbs and cook the 3 on Sunday. Freeze the other 3 and cook it on Wednesday.

Cirino83
08-10-2007, 01:46 PM
I cook on Sundays and Wednesdays. Buy 6 lbs and cook the 3 on Sunday. Freeze the other 3 and cook it on Wednesday.

Exactly what I do when I plan on eating the same thing for a week.

monkeyarms
08-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I do a little freezer-fridge cycling: I grill a bunch at a time, then put each piece of chicken in a ziplock sandwich bag. I put enough for about 4-5 days in the fridge, the rest I put in the freezer. Everytime I take a piece out of the fridge, I move one over from the freezer. Works great.

beachmuscles
08-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I was basically looking for a way to just make them on Sunday...Since during the week my life is pretty hectic. On the weekend I have nothing but time on my hands...

Like I was just wondering how it worked with frozen chicken...Lets say I have refrigerated chicken all the way up to Thursday. When should I take the frozen chicken out of the freezer so it's unfrozen by Friday? And does the 4 day rule apply to frozen chicken as well? (when you place in refrigerator)