PDA

View Full Version : Views/opinions on plain baked potato for mass?

ProteinMonster
08-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Im trying to add as much lean muscle I can. What you think about eating plain baked potatoes?
thanks in advance.

KingWilder
08-10-2007, 11:30 AM
it depends on how far over maintenance you are

as long as you're over maintenance calories you'll put on weight...if you're WAY over you'll probably put on a good bit of fat and muscle...if you're slightly over it'll be a long road, but you'll put on less fat (just gotta be patient)

Leeman
08-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I think potatoes taste good and make eating other high calorie foods alot easier like cheese, sourcream, and butter. So yeah go for it.

If its easier for you to eat potatos than bread or rice then by all means do what you have to, to get the job done.

All things created equal tho there are better choices for carbs.

samj
08-10-2007, 04:20 PM
sourcream

are you joking?

Paul Stagg
08-10-2007, 04:49 PM
There's nothing wrong with sour cream.

You guys need to get past thinking there are certain foods you can and can not eat, and even the idea of 'clean' vs 'dirty' bulking.

Fundamentally, this is about calories, protein, and nutrition. If you like potatoes, and they fit into your nutritional plan, then eat them.

Same with sour cream. I ate a bunch of hot dogs yesterday. I'm still alive, and I didn't get fat overnight. (It took me YEARS to get this fat).

Get the basics down before you worry about eating a potato or some sour cream.

getfit
08-10-2007, 04:55 PM

You guys need to get past thinking there are certain foods you can and can not eat, and even the idea of 'clean' vs 'dirty' bulking.

Fundamentally, this is about calories, protein, and nutrition. If you like potatoes, and they fit into your nutritional plan, then eat them.

Same with sour cream. I ate a bunch of hot dogs yesterday. I'm still alive, and I didn't get fat overnight. (It took me YEARS to get this fat).

AHMEN to that!

MMEI
08-10-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm curious what difference in final physiques a person would experience if they ate the same calories with the only difference being that most of the non-protein calories coming from:

A. Simple Carbs (Potatos, rice, etc)
B. Complex Carbs (Sweet Potatos, whole grain breads, oatmeal)
C. Low carbs, High Fat

SpecialK
08-10-2007, 09:03 PM

What I find interesting though is that it seems like many of the people who take this viewpoint also argue to the death that a blend protein is vastly superior to whey only. So total calories and grams of protein is all that really matters, yet a blend protein like Nitrean is god and a whey protein like ON is worthless? It seems kind of inconsistent to me.

Paul Stagg
08-11-2007, 08:50 AM
I didn't say calories and protein are all that matter.

As a protein supplement, a blend is generally superior, but it doesn't matter if you are not getting enough protein in the first place. Thus, I'd rather see you using a blend, but if the options are whey and an additional 40 g of protein or nothing, have the whey.

That said, it really doesn't matter all that much. Which is my point.

Paul Stagg
08-11-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm curious what difference in final physiques a person would experience if they ate the same calories with the only difference being that most of the non-protein calories coming from:

A. Simple Carbs (Potatos, rice, etc)
B. Complex Carbs (Sweet Potatos, whole grain breads, oatmeal)
C. Low carbs, High Fat

It depends on what you mean by 'final physiques'. If you mean what they would look like on a bodybuilding stage at 6% bodyfat, then, yes, there will be slight differences (mostly in moving from 7% to 6%). If you mean 10% on the beach, there will not.

MMEI
08-11-2007, 08:59 AM
It depends on what you mean by 'final physiques'. If you mean what they would look like on a bodybuilding stage at 6% bodyfat, then, yes, there will be slight differences (mostly in moving from 7% to 6%). If you mean 10% on the beach, there will not.

I'm asking... would there be a difference in bulking (read:body fat) when having my calories come from different sources.

Paul Stagg
08-11-2007, 09:33 AM
As long as caloric, protein, EFA, and nutritional needs are met? Not really.

mikey4402
08-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I hate bake potatos. you probley burn more calories waiting for the b****** to cook then the amount in the thing.

However if someone else cookes the potato my opinion changes ;) +1 cheese and lots of butter

IZich
08-11-2007, 12:00 PM
What I find interesting though is that it seems like many of the people who take this viewpoint also argue to the death that a blend protein is vastly superior to whey only. So total calories and grams of protein is all that really matters, yet a blend protein like Nitrean is god and a whey protein like ON is worthless? It seems kind of inconsistent to me.

I believe people who take that stance do so because of the timed release of protein, not the "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie."

Twan
08-11-2007, 02:47 PM

Well, just like there are different kinds of carbs, there are different kinds of proteins. There is an article on WBB about how different kinds have different bioavailability. I don't know how much of a different 100g Whey vs. 75g Whey/25g Casein will have on your overall gains, but if it's something as simple as using a different powder, why not go with the one that is supposed to give you better results? Now, it might be a bit harder to have Fish instead of Double Cheeseburgers...