PDA

View Full Version : 8k advice

growthrep
08-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I know some of you run. I'm doing my first ever distance race on Sunday in Exeter, ON. It's an 8k that begins at 9:30 in the morning. Any race day tips you can offer would be much appreciated.

I have deiced to do a few short distance races to help with my cut. Started cutting a couple months ago at 232 and now I'm 212 so I think I'm finally ready to try this as I've been faithfully doing my 5k runs and HIIT sessions weekly.

Thanks!

redFury
08-10-2007, 10:57 PM
stay hydrated before the race... intake enough simple sugars and such before hand as well. Prep nutritionally as if spending the entire day at the gym 9so to speak). Organichu might be more helpful...

Lastly, have fun!! :)

growthrep
08-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks, red. Hope it goes well tomorrow.

Organichu
08-12-2007, 04:09 AM
For a race of that length, the only thing I can think to throw out there is- don't go out too fast. When race day comes you'll be pumping with manly juices and adrenaline and a crap load of pride that you'd made it there. Don't forget that you have limits, and don't try to hit your first mile @ a 4 minute pace.

A race is a series of distances... don't let the fever of race day throw off your pacing.

growthrep
08-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Guys, this was a great experience! I kept an even pace the entire race until kilometer 8 and then I accelerated, giving it almost my all until the final 200 meters when i gave it everything I had. It was a blast! Loved it! The South huron Trail is just gorgeous and if any of you are in the area and looking for a great place to do cardio i highly rec it. I had a pasta dinner the night before and for breakfast (2 hrs before the race) I had a sweet potato and a protein shake. Just minutes before the race I had a banana. i had lots of water the night before and morning of as well.

Looking forward to the 5k at Springbank Park on sept 9. Cheers!