PDA

View Full Version : Deads Advice - Improve start speed

mickyjune26
08-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey all, I've been told by two people that I need to improve my initial jolt on my deads. I'm going wide stance / somewhat narrow grip.

Any drills which will help?

Current thoughts:
Do speed day on deads 1x per week, with sets of 8, 5, 3, 3, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1...just to practice form.

Do deads off 6 inch boards.

...basically, do a simplified version of westside, starting at 60% of my max, working up 10% each week.

nhlfan
08-10-2007, 06:47 PM
speed pulling, maybe some olympic lifting. I'd use doubles for the speed pulls though.

Bako Lifter
08-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Speed Deads (6-10 sets of 1)
Elevated Deads (2-6 inches)
Good Mornings (will build your posterior chain leading to better off-the-floor strength)

Detard
08-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Cleans and snatches are another good lift if your looking to improve barspeed off the floor.

Adam
08-10-2007, 09:28 PM
"I'm going wide stance / somewhat narrow grip."

As in Sumo or conventional deads?

Chris Rodgers
08-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Please for the love of God do not pull off of 6" blocks sumo! I think I just got a slight tear in my hammies from the very thought of doing them.

How about getting tighter and pulling faster? Are you fast on lighter weights and slow on heavy? Slow all the time? I pull the bar with the same force whether it's 135 or 505. Make sure your starting position is good and work on pulling every rep as fast as you can.

Detard
08-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Please for the love of God do not pull off of 6" blocks sumo! I think I just got a slight tear in my hammies from the very thought of doing them.

How about getting tighter and pulling faster? Are you fast on lighter weights and slow on heavy? Slow all the time? I pull the bar with the same force whether it's 135 or 505. Make sure your starting position is good and work on pulling every rep as fast as you can.

OOPS lol. I pull sumo on platform deads. :whazzup:

I know I didnt make this thread but I am interested in the answers aswell. I pull slow with heavier weights and a little faster with light weights, although it is still abit slow. Explosive lifts like cleans and snatches should help with my explosive strength off the floor right?

Chris Rodgers
08-10-2007, 10:34 PM
OOPS lol. I pull sumo on platform deads. :whazzup:

I know I didnt make this thread but I am interested in the answers aswell. I pull slow with heavier weights and a little faster with light weights, although it is still abit slow. Explosive lifts like cleans and snatches should help with my explosive strength off the floor right?

If I did cleans or snatches anyone who has a clue of OL would cringe. I have tremendous bar speed off the floor on deadlifts. I think doing the OL lifts to gain speed off the floor will only really translate to better speed off the floor in the OL lifts IMO. I think the starting position on those lifts and a powerlifting deadlift(particularly sumo) are much different.

jtteg_x
08-11-2007, 02:35 AM
i found these articles and hopefully it'll help ya out:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/sumo_deadlift.htm
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/sumo.htm

theres a lot of great articles on sumo deadlifts on that site.

mickyjune26
08-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks all. This is some great information to get me started.