PDA

View Full Version : pre olympic lifting

noahfor123
08-10-2007, 10:26 PM
I'd like to get in to olympic lifting at some point in my life, but from what I hear having a coach is a must to ensure that form is correct and bad habits don't develop. At this point in my life, I just don't have the time to find or work with a coach. Plus, I really like the gym I go to, and the owner is helping me out with powerlifting stuff, and finding a coach would mean quitting going there, which I don't want to do. But, what kind of things can I do in the mean time to get myself ready for some possible olympic lifting in the future, so that I start at a higher level than I would if I didn't do them. I can think of:

front squats
overhead squats
sprints
jumps of various sorts
push press
overhead press

but what else? Are there any musts?

redFury
08-10-2007, 10:50 PM
I think deadlifts should also be included... it would at least help with the first pull. Snatch and clean grip presses as well.

Fuzzy
08-10-2007, 11:39 PM
I disagree redfury. Deadlifts are secon to uselessa to and Olympic lifter, instead opt for snatch and clea grip pulls.

NAn olympic lifer will never fail in the first pull of the motion.

As for the op...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=FUZZYisBIG

There also some really good demos on youtube.

I reccomend you include power snatches into your training/

redFury
08-11-2007, 08:10 AM
It seemed like he was trying to stay away from any explosive and general OLY lifts... including pulls until he can get a coach. This why I recommended DL... as none of the lifts he mentioned really works the posterior chain well IMO.

Of course, if he can learn learn basic technique online then he should expand his exercises more into what you're saying.

JHarris
08-11-2007, 08:37 AM
It seemed like he was trying to stay away from any explosive and general OLY lifts... including pulls until he can get a coach. This why I recommended DL... as none of the lifts he mentioned really works the posterior chain well IMO.

Of course, if he can learn learn basic technique online then he should expand his exercises more into what you're saying.

The problem with deadlifting, though, is that the motion is actually different than the first pull in the clean or the snatch. Many people have to spend a long time unlearning their deadlift form when trying to learn the snatch and clean. I think this is what Fuzzy is getting at.

Ideally, you would do clean pulls or snatch pulls. Since you have no coach, I'd recommend the following: find a few videos and analyze the beginning of their pulls. You'll notice that their shoulders stay in front of the bar, and their heels stay down. Further, their hips and shoulders rise at the same rate. Try to emulate that. Also, do the first part of the lift (to about your knees) in a more controlled fashion, and then try to pop or speed up a little after that.

Jay

Fuzzy
08-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Exactly, I had so much trouble learning the starting position.

My mind was set to the deadlift position so whenever I dropped to clean or snatch I was in a horrible place.

Sleepy Guy
08-12-2007, 02:08 PM
My deadlift is very similar to my clean. I do not see the issue unless you are lifting more with your back then legs on a dead.

I would how ever suggest finding a local trainer and going there once a week or so to learn. Take what you learn and use it at your gym. Things like hang clean and snatch can be done with low weights to help improve form.

Use a mirror and understand what to look for and you should be alright until you want to go full out crazy. Then make sure you have some one who knows their stuff looking over you. Don't want to get hurt after all.