PDA

View Full Version : College athletes, unite!

235orbust
08-11-2007, 12:25 PM
because I need your advice. This is not so much for any football players or high level d1 athletes, although if you are i would like to know for future consideration. I will be leaving for college in about 2 weeks, and will be playing basketball. I have been lifting religiously this entire summer, and have seen great results. But the college I am going to does not have a real lifting program for the players. I am just worried about how I am going to be able to go about basketball and getting in a good lift, becasue this is a great program with tough workout for basketball. I was thinking about maybe lifting with the football team but i dont know if i would be able to do both and not be burnt out. does anyone have any advice they could give me about getting in good lifts as I play my sport?

BigRic
08-11-2007, 12:57 PM
So you're saying your schools basketball team doesn't lift? I know most members of the basketball team that were in town during the summer lifted with the football team and even conditioned with us. I also am certain they lift twice a week during the fall here. So I'm not really sure how I can help you than say try going to your student recreation center and work out there if you have the energy outside of whatever you do with the team. If you start becoming tired I'd stop doing that and just focus on the team stuff.

Al3X
08-14-2007, 09:38 AM
You should have access to the gym 24hrs right? If you do go on your own time, or double up with the football team. Ask your coach what you should do. If he says you don't need to lift weights, just tell him it's something that keeps you sane!

redFury
08-14-2007, 10:05 AM
I think just as players spend hours outside of practice shooting and doing drills... you also could be lifting during that time. You might want to schedule your ME sessions to give you adequate time to recover, if thats possible.

Al3X
08-14-2007, 10:15 AM
It's common logic lifting will increase your strength. Making your legs stronger will enable you to jump higher, run faster, and cut quicker. Ask your coach if you guys can get adequate time in the gym.

lecithin
08-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I rowed d1 at my university, I dunno about other sports programs but I couldn't lift more than once or twice a week. This was due to the ridiculous practice schedule, NOOOO free time. We lifted during the winter(off season).

pbal17
08-15-2007, 09:46 PM
what school are you going to, 235? depending on the intensity of the program you could end up with ZERO free time where you are going to only be able to lift off season and a less intense program where you will have more than enough time. also, position specific workouts are not uncommon at all for basketball. big guys need to be big, if you are a power forward, expect to be lifting.

cphafner
08-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I've never heard of a college program that didn't have a lifting program/strength coach. From small D3 schools up every program I ever saw had a program.