PDA

View Full Version : Fridge or No Fridge?? That is the question

WORLD
08-11-2007, 09:21 PM
So I've always been curious about this...
I sometimes find myself cooking right before I go to sleep. Lets say I cook some fish, yams and veggies. I separate it into my tupperwear containers for tomorrows meals, and realize that my food is still very hot. Now, this is where I get stuck. After a brain straining decision making process, I put it all in the fridge.....then I remove it...then get confused about things because I realize I have 6 hours of sleep left at this point. :confused: That's when I say screw it and put it back in the fridge.
Terrible situation to be in, I know..

Should I be putting my food in the fridge after cooking it? I've read that it isn't good for the fridge because it makes it work harder to keep everything cold. But leaving food out over night isn't a great idea either. What do you wise people suggest?

seK
08-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Put it in the fridge right after you cook it. Bacteria thrive in warm moist area's. The only downside is you will waste energy having to cool hot food. Also condensation.

RCASEYH
08-11-2007, 10:21 PM
If it is kept covered some foods 'may' be okay for a few hours after they are cooked ... but I would NOT recommend leaving it out overnight and take the chance of getting uber-sick! (I've seen it first hand ... I work in an E.R.)

I second seK's advice ... absolutely refrigerate it!!

WORLD
08-12-2007, 06:56 PM
bump.

kate
08-12-2007, 07:10 PM
BUT if you put it straight in the fridge, while hot, wouldn't it make all of the other food warm and cause bacteria in the oher foods in the fridge, say you put the hot food on the shelf below some left over chicken which will warm up the chicken and get salminala (sp?) poisoning?
Its a tough one!

Biggins
08-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Thats the dilema that made me switch to IF.I now dont have to worry about cooking meals for the next day.When I did tho I would just cook earlier and let it kool down,then tupper it and into fridge.

kate
08-12-2007, 07:47 PM
or do you get up at all during the night???

WORLD
08-12-2007, 07:52 PM
It would be best to plan things better, and cook earlier in the day. Unfortunately, time isn't always on my side and I get left cooking before bed. I don't usually get up during the night.

Biggins
08-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Its simple then....just tupper it and in the fridge.They are modern appliances and can chill the food without the rest of the fridge getting warm.

RCASEYH
08-12-2007, 09:20 PM
BUT if you put it straight in the fridge, while hot, wouldn't it make all of the other food warm and cause bacteria in the oher foods in the fridge, say you put the hot food on the shelf below some left over chicken which will warm up the chicken and get salminala (sp?) poisoning?
Its a tough one!

No, bacteria are not going to grow in the cold environment. Besides, there's really no way for them to be in there to begin with unless the inside fridge temp was too warm.

Alex.V
08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Its a tough one!

Unless you're putting in a few tureens of soup and a pan of lasagna, the food probably won't make a significant difference in the fridge's temperature.

WORLD
08-15-2007, 08:54 PM
That's what I was hoping to hear.