PDA

View Full Version : Protein Carbs Calories

fryguy
08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I wanted to know some general knowledge for my routine but i cant find it all.
Could someone explain the relation between Protein, Carbs, and Calories in CUTTING and in BULKING. Is protein more for muscle mass or muscular strength. Do calories just make you fatter and the protein helps the muscle size in BULKING? Explanations like this will be very helpful. thanks

Questor
08-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Your question cannot be adequately answered in one thread. For the best effect, read this forum regularly. Optionally you may use the Search function to speed this process.

Questor
08-13-2007, 11:37 AM
But if I were to try to really boil it down, and I warn you I'm not very good at this, but here's a go.

Fat, protein, and carbs all produce calories. Besides that they have very different characteristics.

Fat is rich in calories but digests very slowly. Some fats are useful in the uptake of vitamins and in the constant reconstruction of your body. Some fats are hard on the arteries and heart.

Protein is used in muscle synthesis.

Carbs are "wee it tastes good". They typically are readily digested. In one way or another, your carbs are probably sugar or starch.

Eating too many calories will make you fat (and if you're working out, will make you gain muscle). Eating too few will make you loose weight (both fat and muscle)

Eat the right fats (unsaturated) because your body needs them. Eat lots of protein because obviously you wanna be big. Eat relatively less carbs, because strictly speaking they're more or less optional. The carbs that you do eat should be carbs high in nutrients like oatmeal, berries, and veggies.

IZich
08-13-2007, 12:01 PM
But if I were to try to really boil it down, and I warn you I'm not very good at this, but here's a go.

Fat, protein, and carbs all produce calories. Besides that they have very different characteristics.

Fat is rich in calories but digests very slowly. Some fats are useful in the uptake of vitamins and in the constant reconstruction of your body. Some fats are hard on the arteries and heart.

Protein is used in muscle synthesis.

Carbs are "wee it tastes good". They typically are readily digested. In one way or another, your carbs are probably sugar or starch.

Eating too many calories will make you fat (and if you're working out, will make you gain muscle). Eating too few will make you loose weight (both fat and muscle)

Eat the right fats (unsaturated) because your body needs them. Eat lots of protein because obviously you wanna be big. Eat relatively less carbs, because strictly speaking they're more or less optional. The carbs that you do eat should be carbs high in nutrients like oatmeal, berries, and veggies.

A pretty good boil-down. I would just add that your body only really *NEEDS* protein and fat to survive.

What many people find is that during a cut, losing the carbs is a good tool to cutting cals and curbing hunger pangs. Read up on fats, they're good for you.

A good rule of thumb that I just read on EFS is: "If you can't pick it, grow it, or kill it, don't eat it."