PDA

View Full Version : Cutting and not losing weight -- Help!

KingNothing
08-13-2007, 08:25 PM
I've been cutting for almost two weeks now and haven't lost any weight. All I'm seeing are day to day fluctuations. I've been eating 2200 calories a day. I'm 6 ft tall and, as of this morning, weigh 232 pounds.

I've had a couple of nights of drinking in there, but nowhere near enough that it should throw off a week and a half of cutting.

Here's my weight, body fat percent, and body water percent this month according to my scale:

Aug 13, 232.8 27.2 50.8

Aug 12 ----

Aug 11, 234.4 26.9 51.1

Aug 10, 232 27.3 50.9

Aug 9, 232 27.4 50.8

Aug 8, 232.4 27.6 50.8

Aug 7, 233.4 28.2 50.2

Aug 6, 234.6 27.3 50.3

Aug 5, 235.4 26.4 51.2

Aug 4 ----

Aug 3, 233.8 28.8 50.2

Aug 2, 232.4 27.9 49.8

Aug 1: 234 27.9 50.6

What am I doing wrong?

Questor
08-13-2007, 08:36 PM
I would really expect you to start loosing weight or at least bf at 2200, given that you're 232 lbs.

I personally would ban alcohol until the cut was over, and perhaps throw in a bit of HIIT.

I wouldn't reduce your calories any further. And I wouldn't suggest killing yourself in the gym and injuring yourself.

Maybe just a bit more patience and things will start moving.

Also, I would ensure that very very little of my calories were coming from sugars or, for that matter, carbs of any kind (except fiber).

monkeyarms
08-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Is this the first time you've ever tried a cut? I know the first time I changed my diet up and started trying to lose weight it took 2-3 weeks before I saw any result. I have read that this is common - it can take 2-4 weeks before you start making any progress. I was doing about 1200 calories/day when I started and I actually gained 2 pounds the first 2 weeks. Then I started dropping it like crazy -- so don't give up.

Also be sure you track your drinking on fitday too. You would be amazed how much even one good (or bad, depending on your view) night of drinking will raise your weekly calorie average. Just be honest with yourself in tracking these calories.

I would also throw some form of cardio in there if you're serious about losing the weight. Even just taking a walk a couple nights a week helps.

Built
08-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Are you weighing your food?

KingNothing
08-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Are you weighing your food?

Yes, I am.

At what point does your metabolism drop because you're eating too little? Could that be the case?

KingNothing
08-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Is this the first time you've ever tried a cut? I know the first time I changed my diet up and started trying to lose weight it took 2-3 weeks before I saw any result. I have read that this is common - it can take 2-4 weeks before you start making any progress. I was doing about 1200 calories/day when I started and I actually gained 2 pounds the first 2 weeks. Then I started dropping it like crazy -- so don't give up.

Also be sure you track your drinking on fitday too. You would be amazed how much even one good (or bad, depending on your view) night of drinking will raise your weekly calorie average. Just be honest with yourself in tracking these calories.

I would also throw some form of cardio in there if you're serious about losing the weight. Even just taking a walk a couple nights a week helps.

I cut a few years ago and lost maybe 15 or 20 pounds over a couple of months, but I wasn't tracking calories. I just ate whole foods and did some pushups, crunches, etc every day. It was before I found out about WBB or knew anything about nutrition.

monkeyarms
08-13-2007, 09:49 PM
At what point does your metabolism drop because you're eating too little? Could that be the case?

I ate 800 cals/day for 10 weeks and came out of it with my metabolism intact....I also believe that to be a bit of an old wives tale, but that's me.

I would just give it another 2 weeks and see how it goes....weight is a fickle, weird thing and you may have already lost pounds but just aren't seeing it on the scale yet.

thor310
08-13-2007, 09:56 PM
....weight is a fickle, weird thing and you may have already lost pounds but just aren't seeing it on the scale yet.

I dont get it. how does that work?

Built
08-13-2007, 09:59 PM
I read something, I think Lyle wrote about it, something about the fat cells holding water for a little while when you drop fat... to make up the volume or some such... eventually they release and you experience the "whoosh" phenomenon, yanno, where you wake up, pee, and you're five pounds lighter overnight.

monkeyarms
08-13-2007, 10:02 PM
He may have lost fat but is holding more water or waste right now. Several times I have had my weight go down by 4-7lbs overnight because of dehydration.

KingNothing
08-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Alright, sounds like I just need to keep it up and see what happens.

Will do. :)

ShockBoxer
08-14-2007, 05:40 PM
My first cut after joining here saw me holding steady at 190 for more than a month at 1800 calories a day. I was getting discouraged and kept moving the calories down ever so slightly. Then all of the sudden I was 185 and dropped dropped another 25 in three months.

I'm cutting again now at 1600-1900 with a planned 2400 (maintenance) once a week. I don't expect to see the scale move at all for a month, just like last time, if it moves at all.

monkeyarms
08-14-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm cutting again now at 1600-1900 with a planned 2400 (maintenance) once a week. I don't expect to see the scale move at all for a month, just like last time, if it moves at all.

Yeah it can be really frustrating at first, and I think this is where a lot of people give up and start saying "dieting doesn't work for me"....when actually they just haven't given it enough time. Everyone wants instant gratification (myself included :redface: ). It sucks, but then finally those first few lbs drop and it starts to become pretty rewarding.

KingNothing
08-15-2007, 02:42 PM
I lost two pounds over the last two days, so it looks like something is finally starting to happen.

:bow:

leetuck
08-15-2007, 02:49 PM
I find that weighin myself is a waste of time, you tend to weigh yourself far to often and when you don't see any change you feel like it's a waste of time.

I bought some body fat calipers when I was dieting...every 2-3 weeks i'd check the various parts of my body and see if the mm were coming off! If it did, i knew i was losing weight.

monkeyarms
08-15-2007, 03:22 PM
I find that weighin myself is a waste of time, you tend to weigh yourself far to often and when you don't see any change you feel like it's a waste of time.

I agree for the most part, but there are a few good things about weighing yourself often too:

1) You learn how your waterweight changes after different activities (i.e. eating, working out, sleeping, etc)

2) You learn the times of day that your weight is the most consistent from day to day (for me it's first thing in the morning, although I generally weigh about 2lbs less than what I probably actually weigh)

3) It's motivation for me. If I'm on a cut and that scale goes down one day, I feel a sense of accomplishment that helps me keep up my diet/lifting. If the scale goes up I get pissed (even though I know it's normal daily changes) and I workout harder. I basically take whatever the scale shows me and turn it into positive energy.

ArchAngel777
08-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I read something, I think Lyle wrote about it, something about the fat cells holding water for a little while when you drop fat... to make up the volume or some such... eventually they release and you experience the "whoosh" phenomenon, yanno, where you wake up, pee, and you're five pounds lighter overnight.

Yep, I have experience this a few times myself... It is REALLY strange and odd and isn't in the imagination either... You can litterally go from a a no pack to a six pack overnight. It only takes a little bit of water to fill the gaps in the stomach muscles to lose a six pack. I gained one and lost one within a day. Gained it back for a while and lost it when I pigged out (from water). Then I started to eat more and really did gain the fat back.

But anyway, it can often take several weeks to drop weight that you really lost. When you burn fat the water is released form the cells and is trapped/held or something like that until the body determines it can get rid of it. I suspect that it is possible the body keeps the water in anticipation that you will gain the fat back and it can restore it easily. There is really no scientific data for this phenomimon according to Lyle... I just know I experienced it and he talks about it.

Cut150
08-16-2007, 03:33 PM
I think this is the article that Built and Arch Angel are referring to. It's about seven posts down.

http://www.beyondlowcarb.net/index.php?topic=4484.0

Biggins
08-16-2007, 05:18 PM
About 1/2 yr ago I was at 178 pounds every single day.I couldnt believe it.I was cutting also and while I was losing bodyfat my weight was 178 pounds.Its like for a few months my body's water weight was super stable.

Now im back to normal of huge fluctuations over the course of each day.