PDA

View Full Version : help

jim2lift
08-14-2007, 06:13 AM
I work as a correction officer.Are the olympic lifts better for explosive power while reacting to situations?I tried a more bodybuilding style of lifting,and felt like I looked better,but felt tight and slow.I've been doing power cleans,squats,push press and romanian deadlifts.

Clifford Gillmore
08-14-2007, 06:28 AM
I'd personally find fight sport your into and take that up, but olympic lifts will help with power to a degree.

Leeman
08-14-2007, 08:00 AM
I think you would be better off putting alot of weight on your squat, pullup and bench than you would doing olympic lifting.

You would be suprized how much faster and more explosive 100lbs on your squat makes you and if you can do a 350 dead hang pullup would give you some serious real world upper body strength.

That or like the above poster said just training to fight in general.

redFury
08-14-2007, 10:01 AM
I think that improving the big three would help with your reaction as well... most of the enforcement officers I know including Tommy Harrison do powerlifting.

betastas
08-14-2007, 11:49 AM
I saw Tommy Harrison in Chicago. I would not want to mess with him.

jtteg_x
08-14-2007, 12:28 PM
you should consider some form of martial arts. even better, MMA.

Sleepy Guy
08-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Haahaa very um different responses and mine will not grove with the others either.

The full Oly lifts such and clean and jerk and snatch will do you the best. It will help build explosive power and help over power others. But I would not do them exclusively, train other things as well. Like MMA and the likes.

There is also exercises designed for explosive power other then oly you could look up.