PDA

View Full Version : Help with Clean form (video)

redFury
08-14-2007, 06:57 PM
I've seen lots of videos and been shown a few things by an accomplished oly lifter... but I thought it might be helpful for me to get feedback on a much larger scale. I've been trying to work on my 2nd pull and shrugging the weight up... anyhoo here is my PR clean of 185. I'd really like to hit my goal of 1.5xBW in the very near future... I feel that technique is especially important to get me there. I really appreciate any comments. :)

VlX_BB8ASHc

RedSpikeyThing
08-14-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm not very strong at the olympic lifts, so take this with a grain of salt.
looks like you could be squatting under the bar a LOT more. Your legs don't even hit parallel when you catch it. Think of getting under bar, rather then getting the bar up to your shoulders.

Make sure to get fuzzy's opinion too :)

redFury
08-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Gotcha... I was trying to do a high clean. I'll be working the upcoming weeks on trying to catch it into a front squat. :thumbup:

Bohizzle
08-14-2007, 07:17 PM
yeah, that looked like a power clean. If you can get a hang of catching the weight in a front squat, you'll be able to clean much more weight.

redFury
08-14-2007, 10:10 PM
So the technique looks ok? This is what I'm concerned about... I want to understand what good technique looks like. If this is acceptable, then I know how to replicate it.

Anthony
08-15-2007, 05:00 AM
Early arm bend and your weight is on your toes before your each full extension. If you're catching it that high, it's not even close to a PR for you. Just gotta get confident enough to pull yourself under the bar with heavier weight. Strong lift though!!

Sleepy Guy
08-15-2007, 08:15 AM
I would say squat back into it more in the starting position. It looks like you are going around you knees. Indeed you arms are bending to early, try to emphasize the shurg. I can not see but keep the bar very close to the body.

It would help to have more speed to the lift as a whole and I bet you can do much more. Work on your form and you will be doing over 200. Remember speed is key here.

redFury
08-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll have to work on the start position and my arms a bit next week. This is good stuff!

Race Bannon
08-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I think your starting position looks good, you want to start with shoulders slightly over the bar. Bring the knees a bit more negative so at the least you are pulling the bar straight up (or slightly towards you), as opposed to around your knees which tends to leave the bar out in front. Keep the bar tight to the body.

You are also rounding your back at the start of the pull. Keep the spine straight and stiff like a steel rod.

The sooner you get over that early arm-bend, the better. You're doing alot of muscling of that weight. Arms straight until full extension then whip those elbows around and get your triceps parallel to the ground.

Try to catch the weight sitting back more towards your heels and dont poke your knees out front Michael Jackson style. If you catch forward, shift to correct position for squatting up if you can. Dont squat up from the toes.

You look good for much bigger weights.

Michael Jackson Knees:
http://s.yottamusic.com/i/bCVt.1QzR/375x375

redFury
08-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks Race... I think correcting my starting position will correct a lot of those. The early arm bend comes when I break them during the shrug I think. I will certainly work on those.

Race Bannon
08-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Red, the shrug is at the end of the pull, early arm bend occurs before that. Looks to me like you start bending when the bar passes the kness.

"when the arms bend, the power ends" I dont know who said it but Ive heard it a ton of times in the gym.

Like I said before, I think your starting position is fine. Its once you start moving... bring those knees negative and push the floor down to break the bar off the floor. Back neutral and rigid. Keep those arms straight until the last possible millisecond, then whip those elbows through to meet the bar nice and clean.

redFury
08-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Red, the shrug is at the end of the pull, early arm bend occurs before that. Looks to me like you start bending when the bar passes the kness.

Trust me, I started the shrug early... and broke my arms at the beginning of the movement. The shrug is supposed to be at the end, I realize... you must keep in mind that I've only done power cleans a handful of times in my life. That said, my form is not as ideal as it should be. (I have the benefit of looking at the actual video and progressing frame by frame)

Thanks again for the help

Tofer
08-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't like how you're catching the bar. You need to catch it on your shoulders as opposed to holding up with your arms. Try not to think of your hands catching the bar; they should only be there to steady the bar after you catch it on the shoulders (ie. you only really need to have your finger tips under the bar). The way you're catching it right now is probably how you would reposition your hands before completing the jerk portion of the lift. You'll be able to handle more weight if you don't go directly into doing that. If you're not used to the clean grip then practice by doing front squats for a few weeks to get the necessary flexibility.

Edit: Also, I think this was pointed out already but what you're doing is more of a power clean than a clean. You're allowed to go down to a quarter squat position with a power clean, which is what you're doing, but the way I see it, a clean is when you're catching the bar in a full squat position.

Sleepy Guy
08-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Maybe it is just the back at the start but looks like he is indeed pulling it around his knees. Hard to tell really with one video. Also the form may change greatly as the weight changes.