PDA

View Full Version : results are stagnant

thor310
08-14-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm 5'10", 167lbs, and ~20% bf (im not sure if my scale is reliable for bf).
I've dropped 30 lbs in the last 5 months with diet (2000-2200 cal/day) and exercise (various routines). I'm very happy with the progress. I'm stronger, more muscular, and in over all better shape than ever before. But I want to be leaner, more cut than I am now.

In the last 2-3 weeks, the numbers have become stagnant. the rate of fat reduction has dropped.

I know that most of you cycle between bulk/cut. Have I reached the end of this cut? should I increase my caloric intake for a while? try a specific workout routine?

Please advise.

ArmandSV
08-15-2007, 09:26 AM
anyone have a answer? aka bump

DoUgL@S
08-15-2007, 09:44 AM
You may need a diet break if you have been dieting for 5 months.

Another option is dropping your cals, but I would take a break eat at maintenance, and then drop your cals if you need to.

drwost
08-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Hmmm...maybe post more specifics about your macros-protein, carbs, fats
what kind of routine are you doing weights cardio?

KingWilder
08-15-2007, 10:12 AM

that and might be time to throw in some HIIT if you don't already

thor310
08-15-2007, 12:16 PM

I get about 30% fat (~60g), 30% protein (~150g), and 40% carbs (~300g). in a ~2000 cal diet. I'm a vegetarian so getting much higher in protein through meals (and not more supplements) without increasing calories is a challenge.

I've done various routines. Earlier, they were less structured but usually 10x3's of various lifts. The last few have been a 8-6-4 routine, a meltdown routine (which didn't seem very effective), and currently i'm on ripped rugged and dense.

Until a month or so ago, I used to do cardio with almost every workout (10-30 mins on stair master/elliptical). I've considered putting cardio back in, but with studies saying that it drops GH levels, drops muscle mass, etc., i'm hesitant. plus if my body's already being pushed to it's limit of metabolism vs. calorie intake, then i dont know if adding more exercise would help.

ALso, I workout first thing in the morning -- usually on an empty stomach.

Cirino83
08-15-2007, 01:14 PM
You may need a diet break if you have been dieting for 5 months.

Another option is dropping your cals, but I would take a break eat at maintenance, and then drop your cals if you need to.

I agree. Also lift heavy and increase your protein to 1.5 g/lb. Maybe even lower the carbs..

ArmandSV
08-17-2007, 02:02 PM
I get about 30% fat (~60g), 30% protein (~150g), and 40% carbs (~300g). in a ~2000 cal diet. I'm a vegetarian so getting much higher in protein through meals (and not more supplements) without increasing calories is a challenge.

I've done various routines. Earlier, they were less structured but usually 10x3's of various lifts. The last few have been a 8-6-4 routine, a meltdown routine (which didn't seem very effective), and currently i'm on ripped rugged and dense.

Until a month or so ago, I used to do cardio with almost every workout (10-30 mins on stair master/elliptical). I've considered putting cardio back in, but with studies saying that it drops GH levels, drops muscle mass, etc., i'm hesitant. plus if my body's already being pushed to it's limit of metabolism vs. calorie intake, then i dont know if adding more exercise would help.

ALso, I workout first thing in the morning -- usually on an empty stomach.

so start eating meat, its rich in protein, no carbs

Holto
08-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Training on an empty stomach is good for losing lean mass. Yes absolutely take a break from 5 months of dieting and let your metabolism recover.

Do you drink milk eggs etc..?

ArmandSV
08-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Training on an empty stomach is good for losing lean mass.

wait? really, I thought training in the morning was a good thing?

could you please clarify

DoUgL@S
08-17-2007, 06:55 PM
wait? really, I thought training in the morning was a good thing?

could you please clarify

If you eat before training you can take advantage of the higher levels of testosterone, therefore it's a good thing. :)

BBB
08-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Sounds to me like what your WERE doing was working, that is when you were doing cardio you were dropping weight and that since you dropped it, you've started to stagnate. Start doing 20 minutes of cardio post lifting - 5 min warm up, 10 minutes of HIIT - 5 min cool down. At 20% bf you don't need to worry about loosing LBM.

Built
08-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Please get away from "percentages" - think "LBM-based doses".

Diet link in my sig might help.