Cirino83
08-15-2007, 08:03 AM
strong as **** as usual man. very impressive

KingWilder
08-15-2007, 08:17 AM
nice lifting

emjlr3
08-15-2007, 01:23 PM
i still say that is a fark load of back, i get that its a back lift, but still, when i posted my dl video, everyone said I did not start low enough, and i started lower then that

regardless, good lift

tomv
08-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I understand that Chris you've got... I dunno let's say at least 20 years of experience on me, you're definitely more well read on the topic of weightlifting and you're much stronger to boot!

However, when I see that lift I can't help but think "Bad FORM!". To be honest if I saw a Newbie lifting like that in the gym I'd feel the need to walk over and say something.

This is not meant to be a criticism though, as stated I realise that you are far more experienced and well read then myself and thus must have reasons for lifting the way you do. So... how is that not a dangerous lift?

(Again no disrespect meant, I am just genuinely amazed/curious).

Chubrock
08-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Considering Chris has been pulling for a damn long time, he's got the lower back strength and posterior chain to handle 140lbs under his max like that. Also the fact that he is pulling conventional off of a plate (or something) has a lot to do with the way he looks.

chris mason
08-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Strong lift Chris!

Form freaks, go home and be weak!

CleverName
08-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Strong work... looks like you have the same shoes I use for lifting!

Kong
08-16-2007, 02:12 AM
Very few strong guys use perfect form on deadlift. When i get to my last 2 reps on a 5rm my form goes to ****, doesnt matter as long as i get that weight up

getfit
08-16-2007, 02:15 AM
everything looks so easy for you!

great lifts.

jtteg_x
08-16-2007, 04:39 AM
nice.

im curious to know what suit do you pull sumo in chris?

WillKuenzel
08-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Great work, Chris.

For those questioning his form:
Get strong doing it right, as I bet Chris did. When you reach his level, come back and question the lift if you still have questions.

-Superman-
08-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Strong lift Chris!

Best statement ever! My form might suck, but I am lifting 400+ and still increasing with no injuries. It depends on the person. Good lift Chris. You are the true Superman. :D

Jordanbcool
08-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Great job chris. Really solid pulling.

Stumprrp
08-16-2007, 10:37 AM
very nice pulling chris.

emjlr3
08-16-2007, 08:44 PM
I understand that Chris you've got... I dunno let's say at least 20 years of experience on me, you're definitely more well read on the topic of weightlifting and you're much stronger to boot!

However, when I see that lift I can't help but think "Bad FORM!". To be honest if I saw a Newbie lifting like that in the gym I'd feel the need to walk over and say something.

This is not meant to be a criticism though, as stated I realize that you are far more experienced and well read then myself and thus must have reasons for lifting the way you do. So... how is that not a dangerous lift?

(Again no disrespect meant, I am just genuinely amazed/curious).

i agree 100%

Strong lift Chris!

that is a tremendously arrogant, dick thing to say IMO
bad form in no way means a weak lift, nor should you try and deter people from doing so by telling them if they do not do it wrong they will never be strong

Very few strong guys use perfect form on deadlift. When i get to my last 2 reps on a 5rm my form goes to ****, doesnt matter as long as i get that weight up

doesn't does it? until you really hurt something with that bad form...see what happens then

Great work, Chris.

For those questioning his form:
Get strong doing it right, as I bet Chris did. When you reach his level, come back and question the lift if you still have questions.

so do it right and get good, then do it bad and do it some more? that makes no sense at all...

Best statement ever! My form might suck, but I am lifting 400+ and still increasing with no injuries. It depends on the person. Good lift Chris. You are the true Superman. :D

great quote, just amazing, if someone were bouncing the weight off their chest on flat bench, would you say, who cares, smash it on your chest, as long as u can push it up the rest of the way your great! Simply because you are not injuring yourself now does not mean down the road from doing it wrong you are not going to be in bad shape because of it

I hear no one saying that his form is good, in which case, fine, use bad form if your maxing or in a comp, though I assume if your going to lift like that in a comp you may want to practice like it

however, I have a problem with people condoning such lifting habits simply because you can go stronger like that, you would never consider such a statement on another lift, why do you on deads

(I am not trying to pick on you or be a dick Chris, believe me, nor do I aim to do so with anyone else, so if I came over the wrong way, sry)

from personal exp., and pulling 500+, I know what too much back can do to you(I have had terrible back pain from it, where I cannot even sit and drive my car for days because of it), and I have talked to my fair share of older lifters who have had bad problems pulling incorrectly, or in others words, by just plain using too much back

I have since switched to dropping down lower, getting more legs into it, and not allowing my legs to straighten up(fail), and by doing so, making my back compensate for it

i do not deny that I have had to drop in weight because of it(mainly because my legs are so dern weak), however, I still get stronger, my back still gets a good workout, and I no longer have the tremendous back pain I used to 5-6 days following a deads day

by all means, continue what you are doing, I do not want to stop you, I just want to keep it clear to people, especially newer people, who may come and read this and think it ok to go and do thing possibly incorrectly, which in no way should be pushed by veteran members here

Chubrock
08-16-2007, 08:50 PM
however, I have a problem with people condoning such lifting habits simply because you can go stronger like that, you would never consider such a statement on another lift, why do you on deads

(I am not trying to pick on you or be a dick Chris, believe me, nor do I aim to do so with anyone else, so if I came over the wrong way, sry)

from personal exp., and pulling 500+, I know what too much back can do to you(I have had terrible back pain from it, where I cannot even sit and drive my car for days because of it), and I have talked to my fair share of older lifters who have had bad problems pulling incorrectly, or in others words, by just plain using too much back

I have since switched to dropping down lower, getting more legs into it, and not allowing my legs to straighten up(fail), and by doing so, making my back compensate for it

i do not deny that I have had to drop in weight because of it(mainly because my legs are so dern weak), however, I still get stronger, my back still gets a good workout, and I no longer have the tremendous back pain I used to 5-6 days following a deads day

by all means, continue what you are doing, I do not want to stop you, I just want to keep it clear to people, especially newer people, who may come and read this and think it ok to go and do thing possibly incorrectly, which in no way should be pushed by veteran members here

Through all that ranting, did it ever occur to you that Chris may be pulling like that for a reason, or that it might not be his normal stance, or heaven forbid Chris might actually know what he's doing?

emjlr3
08-16-2007, 08:56 PM
then why didn't he, nor anyone else say so, and simply praise him for doing heavy weight after the issue were brought to light?

and in no way was that a rant, i think it was a legit issue that needed discussion, at least in my eye, perhaps I'm off my hinges

Resident Dick

understatement of the year

HeavyBomber
08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
strong as **** as usual man. very impressive

First post said it all.

HeavyBomber
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
everything looks so easy for you!

great lifts.

Hey, I thought that comment was reserved for me! lol just messin'.

Chris Rodgers
08-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Crazy action in this thread.

To all those who complimented, thank you.

Now, to emj and tom, what part of the lift are you so concerned about? What do you think is so dangerous? I appreciate the concern, but I don't feel you guys 100% know what you are talking about. This was my first time trying this particular style and I was very happy how I kept my form. If you have a problem with your back being sore, then don't friggin deadlift. I personally like my back thickening up and getting stronger. It is by far the thickest, strongest part of my body and I have been deadlifting heavy, consistently for the past 5 years+.

If I wanted to suck at deadlifting and make by back weaker, I'd try to squat them up like you suggested. That's not my thing.

WillKuenzel
08-17-2007, 04:41 AM

LOL, as a trainer I'm very strict on form. Very. But as the body adapts, different bio-mechanics will work differently for others. Form will change especially if you go from doing conventional deadlifts to more of a Romanian style deadlift as Chris is doing. If something is strong it will pick up and do more of the lift. Really at no point was his back overly rounded so much that anyone should be concerned. Was it perfect? No. Practice perfect, so when it comes time to lift some heavy weight you don't have to concentrate on the form but on the lift.

Chris' objective is to lift the most weight possible. He's a powerlifter. He's not training to train or just hang out. It's not for vanity reasons or for anything else other than just to lift as much weight as possible. In order for him to get better, he has to train what is weak. That includes a variety of exercises and variations of them. Your idea of "perfect" form may not be optimal for him and his goals. It might not be as efficient as changing the form a little to accomplish his goals.

Do you know anything about him or his training? Learn a little bit more. Get a lot more experience for yourself. Practice good form to learn, we harp that on all newbies. When you reach a certain point you'll find that your form on a variation of an exercise will work for what you want it to. Might that form be bad for a beginner, maybe. Is the form bad, no. You're completely overdramatizing it because we singled you out. Do some more growing, get some strength goals and then come back when you're at his level and question it.

Chubrock
08-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Very well said Homey.

Clifford Gillmore
08-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Great stuff chris. I pull like that too, it feels comfortable to me.

LiftingKid
08-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Big pulling Chris.

emjlr3
08-17-2007, 07:48 AM
LOL, as a trainer I'm very strict on form. Very. But as the body adapts, different bio-mechanics will work differently for others. Form will change especially if you go from doing conventional deadlifts to more of a Romanian style deadlift as Chris is doing. If something is strong it will pick up and do more of the lift. Really at no point was his back overly rounded so much that anyone should be concerned. Was it perfect? No. Practice perfect, so when it comes time to lift some heavy weight you don't have to concentrate on the form but on the lift.

Chris' objective is to lift the most weight possible. He's a powerlifter. He's not training to train or just hang out. It's not for vanity reasons or for anything else other than just to lift as much weight as possible. In order for him to get better, he has to train what is weak. That includes a variety of exercises and variations of them. Your idea of "perfect" form may not be optimal for him and his goals. It might not be as efficient as changing the form a little to accomplish his goals.

Do you know anything about him or his training? Learn a little bit more. Get a lot more experience for yourself. Practice good form to learn, we harp that on all newbies. When you reach a certain point you'll find that your form on a variation of an exercise will work for what you want it to. Might that form be bad for a beginner, maybe. Is the form bad, no. You're completely overdramatizing it because we singled you out. Do some more growing, get some strength goals and then come back when you're at his level and question it.

in no way do I disagree with what you are saying (I think you are missing my point, or maybe I missed on explaining it), just the fact that the majority of people who posted seemed to think that no matter how you lift it, as long as you lift it, all is fine, which I do not think should be preached

for a heavy as I can go goal oriented person like Chris, who is training to compete in comps, maybe you want to tweak it to get the most up, however, the simple fact that everyone here seems to think they should all lift like that is quite worrying

You're completely overdramatizing it because we singled you out

what are you refering to, when I posted my deadlift video a long time ago, or the self singling out I accomplished here

what part of the lift are you so concerned about? What do you think is so dangerous?

the part where you lift it a bit, get a few inches off the ground, straighten your legs completly, then lift the rest of the way with just your back

If I wanted to suck at deadlifting and make by back weaker, I'd try to squat them up like you suggested. That's not my thing.

was a I ever a dick to you? why must you be sarcast and belittle what I am trying to do with this statement, seriously?

.....guess i will just keep my mouth shut the next time I think about attempting to help here, too much hostility

WillKuenzel
08-17-2007, 09:24 AM
in no way do I disagree with what you are saying (I think you are missing my point, or maybe I missed on explaining it), just the fact that the majority of people who posted seemed to think that no matter how you lift it, as long as you lift it, all is fine, which I do not think should be preached
So we should preface all our videos with regards to form. Nobody and absolutely nobody is going to have perfect form. There will always be something to fix on everybody. Even if I did the bar for reps, we can find something wrong with it. Most of us that replied to Chris' post, knew his goals, know his training style and can appreciate that. I think that the majority of people that responded are powerlifters as well with powerlifting goals, so they aren't thinking that just getting it up is the optimal goal. Increasing the weaknesses is. We're not preaching "anything goes just get it done." We understand what Chris is doing and appreciate it. Did any of us say, "good form,"? No. You're missing what we're implying. None of us said, "that's how it's done," in regards to form. Like I said before, could it have been better? Maybe, but he's getting the job done and is stronger at that bodyweight than just about anybody else here. Are you really that oblivious to question that?

.....guess i will just keep my mouth shut the next time I think about attempting to help here, too much hostility
Trying to help a newbie with form critiques is one thing, trying to critique Chris' form is another. When you can deadlift over 3x bodyweight, then we might listen to some form critiques.

Chris Rodgers
08-17-2007, 02:56 PM
was a I ever a dick to you? why must you be sarcast and belittle what I am trying to do with this statement, seriously?

That was actually me being completely serious. I think squatting up a conventional deadlift is stupid. There are many better options out there if you want to get a leg workout. I already told you what I do and why I do it. Homeslice did an excellent job as well. If you don't agree with it fine, but it is what it is.

tomv
08-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Chris,
I wasn't so much concerned for your safety or anything like that (though I of course wouldn't want you to injure yourself :P). I wasn't attempting to criticize your form as much as look for answers as to why you lifted like that. I do deadlifts and I've never trained above 5 reps, I don't have a sore back from doing them at all. It seems you were taking offense and I apologise if you thought I was somehow criticizing you as that wasn't my intention. I wasn't trying to suggest how you should deadlift, merely stating how I'd been taught how to deadlift from talking on this forum and reading articles on the main site.

Others,
I was in no way trying to insult chris and I'm pretty sure I acknowledged that he knew exactly what he was doing and why as he is much more knowledgeable and experienced then myself on the topic however from the discussions I've seen on this forum where so much emphasis is placed on keeping the hips low on a deadlift I was simply curious as to why he seemed to start with them so high. I wasn't trying to be a form freak at all. I merely wanted to learn why he was doing that which, I was under the impression was a very dangerous way to lift.

Hope there's no more misunderstandings.